Sponsored

Replacing Factory Stereo Question

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I owned a 2003 Mustang and just recently put in a Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX head unit and new speakers. I loved it! It added Android Auto to my 2003. Then, two weeks ago my Mustang was totaled when someone pulled out in front of me. So, I am now in the market for a new car.

Money is a bit tight and I was leaning towards a used 2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium over getting a 2016. With that said, I have heard horror stories about My Ford Touch. I loved the Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX and Android Auto. Being able sync up my phone to the stereo screen and control my phone and GPS (including seeing the maps) was awesome. I really want to be able to use Android Auto on my next car.

I know the 2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium has the new Sync 3 which will allow you to have Android Auto when the next update comes out. With that said...the price of a new 2016 vs a used 2015 is a ton of money.

I was doing a bunch of research online and reading these forums. Am I right that there aren't many options as far as swapping out the stereo head on a 2015 Mustang? I'd love to save money and buy the used 2015 Mustang and then put in an aftermarket stereo that had Android Auto like the AVH-4100 NEX. It wouldn't have to be that model but it could be something similar.

My biggest worry is buying the used 2015 EcoBoost Premium and then not being able to have the features I want in a stereo. I want it to sound good but I also want to be able to use Android Auto. Am I correct that I probably am not able to swap out the stereo head on the 2015 and would be better off with the 2016?
Sponsored

Last edited:

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
You can buy a 15 and later upgrade to sync 3 once they become more affordable.. Or you can buy a base model and do the upgrade yourself and save more money..

Also my opinion about MFT is a lot of the horror stories are exaggerated.. I have it and it works fine ..

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There are no quality aftermarket head units available for the new mustangs yet. If you are like me you won't like the functionality or the clunkyness of the interface with the factory one. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for the info. That helps me make my decision a lot. I have done a lot of research and went out and priced out both a used 2015 and a new 2016 with all the same options. So far...the 2016 is only $4,000 more. Been to a bunch of dealers today. Still want to compare a few more tomorrow. With that said...I'd rather pay $4,000 more and get brand new car that has no nicks, scratches, or issues and I get the stereo I will be happy with. Also, most the used cars were rentals. You have no idea what they have been through. I am leaning towards the 2016.

Last edited:

mpurkins2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang rs1
Hey yall, i have a 2015 mustang RS1 in it is the My ford touch not the new style, does anyone have any information on it working with the new lockpick air? or any other ideas to add video in motion and navigation. Please dont say aftermarket i did that with the truck and yes it works but there was a lot lost with the removal of the my ford touch.
Sponsored