Sponsored

Replace OEM wheel lug nuts

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ah okay. Didn't even see the locking nut. Yeah I'm just going to order the non-lock set. Nothing but a PIA when swapping wheels.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Class Action Suit against Ford for the 2-piece lug design; enter your claim as many others already have and case is still active:
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/ford-lug-nut-defect

Be careful torquing:
For those not familiar with those lugs, some might think they are torquing the lugs to to spec, when in reality, the aluminum cap could have AND DOES spin around the deteriorated metal below it... Giving a false torque spec which can cause serious bodily injury and property damage IF a wheel comes loose at speed due to improper torque. Even without a torque wrench, it may seem like the lug was tight, but was never truly tight.

The lug metal under the cap gets corroded due to any type of moisture and worse if in a salt environment. When that happens, the cap swells, comes loose or gets distorted. The cap also will round itself due to turning or spinning on the metal below it.... The corrosion is also occurring due to there being (2) different metals, which causes electrolysis and accelerates corrosion.

For those that do not know - if you insist on keeping the factory lugs, any lug that has become damaged or swollen due to the poor design is replaceable for free by Ford under the 3/36 warranty. I know this as fact, as on my prior 2016 S550, ALL (20) lug nuts were replaced under warranty due to the damaged/swollen caps. I still have the work order with the tech notes.

ā€”
Another recent thread about the POS Ford lugs:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/fords-famous-2-piece-lug-nuts.128418/
How can a toque value ever be reached if this were so ?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hmmmm interesting. Didn't realize this was a problem. What is the best alternative lug nut?
Went Gorilla, all 20 matching locking lugs. Actually quicker for me to remove/install all when needed since no socket change. Most bad guys too lazy or cheap to want to defeat 20 for a set of wheels and how many who pound on sacrificial sockets carry 20 with them. LoL

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Went Gorilla, all 20 matching locking lugs. Actually quicker for me to remove/install all when needed since no socket change. Most bad guys too lazy or cheap to want to defeat 20 for a set of wheels and how many who pound on sacrificial sockets carry 20 with them. LoL
Well thatā€™s something Iā€™ve never thought of. Sure would take some time to pull your wheels, unlessā€¦.Where do you keep the key?
Good idea if you like the look of the locks.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Well thatā€™s something Iā€™ve never thought of. Sure would take some time to pull your wheels, unlessā€¦.Where do you keep the key?
Nice try!

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Nice try!
Hahahahā€¦.not what I was thinking.
Youā€˜d be surprised how many times customers leave their wheel key at home, or worse leave them in the car without an alarm system.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
+1 on black Gorilla lug nuts. After only a few uses, the stock ones were failing. Iā€™ve had the Gorillas for 3 years with no issues.
Sponsored