Sponsored

rear wheelspin accelerating /starting in turns

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
^From a stop, I wouldn't. Lightly applied throttle reduces the issue to almost nothing. You can basically turn it on and off with throttle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Are you applying power? If you are coasting through the turn you shouldn't feel that.
Factory suspension is soft so the inside wheel will unload more than the outside one causing them to spin easily. When the inside wheel starts to spin, it will transfer torque to the outside wheel but it's not always a continues motions depending on how the grip changes on the inside wheel.
Yes, that is under acceleration only, and it should be substantial acceleration, but not crazy at all.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
What you might be experiencing is the Torsen LSD doing it's thing. When you apply throttle in a turn causing slip, it wants both wheels to spin at the same rate, obviously this is not conducive to turning, as the inside wheel needs to rotate slower, and the outside faster. When it can't do that, it kinda skips, and hops. I've had several cars with Torsen, and they all exhibited the same symptoms to varying degrees. I'll admit, this car is probably the worst I've experienced when it comes to that, but only when making very sharp turns, like turning onto a side street or something. I've read other complaints on this forum regarding the issue.

Also, I've gotten all the mods that have been mentioned in this thread, they didn't seem to affect this issue at all.
That's interesting. I'll have to pay closer attention to which wheel is doing it.

And yes, it happens on sharp, ~90 degree turns.

Actually, as far as I remember this happening the very last time:

I needed to make a left 90 degree turn, and I needed it to happen fast to take the spot in cross traffic (no traffic lights at that intersection). No passengers. I remember the outer (right) wheel skipping/slipping/hopping. I thought - weird - cause the outer wheel was supposed to be under more load... But then I also thought that that was probably because I was sitting on the left side and contributing to more traction on the left side, and lateral Gs were minimal to do the actual weight transfer. Again, I'm not talking about racing in this thread - just driving in the traffic.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
^Yeah, my bet is that is what you are feeling. It's nothing to worry about, and probably nothing you can do about it either. Just consider it a charming characteristic of the car. Just like the thuds and clunks coming from the drive train every time you shift. :lol:

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
^Yeah, my bet is that is what you are feeling. It's nothing to worry about, and probably nothing you can do about it either. Just consider it a charming characteristic of the car. Just like the thuds and clunks coming from the drive train every time you shift. :lol:
Yes, have to admit this car charms me. I'm ready to forgive it lots of things and even liked those thuds and clunks... Not perfect, but engaging.

Sponsored

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
If your outer wheel was hopping a bit on a more aggressive turn, then the inside wheel was gripping and causing a slight loss of traction on the outside wheel. Happens for me all the time on more aggressive low speed turns. That's just the nature of the Torsen. If you had stepped on the gas even more, you would have probably slide the ass end a bit.

These RWD cars will "throttle steer" around corners and turns, which might feel odd to someone who doesn't have a lot of RWD experience (like myself prior to this car).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If your outer wheel was hopping a bit on a more aggressive turn, then the inside wheel was gripping and causing a slight loss of traction on the outside wheel. Happens for me all the time on more aggressive low speed turns. That's just the nature of the Torsen. If you had stepped on the gas even more, you would have probably slide the ass end a bit.

These RWD cars will "throttle steer" around corners and turns, which might feel odd to someone who doesn't have a lot of RWD experience (like myself prior to this car).
I think all our cars do it some degree. I have non PP so no Torsen, just that Traction Loc LSD or whatever it's called. I did this the other day and it hopped on me a little bit, I pushed down the throttle more and the ass end came around on me. So I let it come around and then back on the throttle at the appropriate time.

I think part of too is the heavy weight of this car. No matter how much suspension work you do, you're still dealing with a heavy car and you can't push it around tight corners like a BRZ or a Civic. Throttle helps it bite and turn in better, but don't over do it too soon or the ass end will come around on you.

TrEvoRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What you might be experiencing is the Torsen LSD doing it's thing. When you apply throttle in a turn causing slip, it wants both wheels to spin at the same rate, obviously this is not conducive to turning, as the inside wheel needs to rotate slower, and the outside faster. When it can't do that, it kinda skips, and hops. I've had several cars with Torsen, and they all exhibited the same symptoms to varying degrees. I'll admit, this car is probably the worst I've experienced when it comes to that, but only when making very sharp turns, like turning onto a side street or something. I've read other complaints on this forum regarding the issue.

Also, I've gotten all the mods that have been mentioned in this thread, they didn't seem to affect this issue at all.
This ...

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
All of it has to do with physics, especially in a RW drive car that has power. As one person said there are parts to help in this but it won't eliminate it completely. I came from a FW drive car and have noticed a huge difference between the two in terms of steering.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Driver mod and better tires.
Sponsored