Sponsored

Rear Seat Delete and seat belt mechanism removal. Will seat belt light come on?

Riverss26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Gen 1
Hi All -

I plan on installing a Rear Seat Delete in the near future. I’d like to optimize weight saving in the process.

Having read many threads on the forum I see the saving is optimal when also removing the belt mechanisms. In doing so I do not think the mechanisms can be saved for reinstall at a later time and I also wonder if the seat belt warning will light-up in the dash?

Any insight or links would be appreciated. I don't want to end up loosing the mechanisms on top of lighting up the dash. Thanks!
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The seat belt warning detects someone sitting in a seat and not buckled. Think about it

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen the same, but doesn't make sense. Maybe it has more to do with the seat, body sensors.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense. Thought I had read differently at some point.
I did think of another, the car might throw a service now code because the body in seat sensor being removed, maybe ask that question?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Riverss26

Riverss26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Gen 1
I did think of another, the car might throw a service now code because the body in seat sensor being removed, maybe ask that question?
You are right. I kept searching as I knew I saw something about rear belt mechanisms being removed and then coding. One forum member with a 2021 Mach 1 from ‘’Track Mustangs Online’’ had several calls with tech. support from Lethal Performance and summed up the following:

‘’With all the issues starting in 2019 to 2021 with the belt and the light I am somewhat hoping for a TSB on the situation. There has to a simple answer since rear seat deletes on GT 500s and GT350s are not experiencing this. Just figured someone had already been through this. This simple answer is just to hit the "ok” button each time you get in the car, but that is annoying and not a real fix.
''Could also do what Felix suggested as I thought of that, but since getting weight out of the car is the big key, and every little bit helps, I discounted it as I need more weight out to be somewhat competitive.’’
‘’That's because at least until 2018 (and I suspect later), rear belts on S550s are "dumb" - it's just a receptacle with no electrical connection, so of course there were no issues. Must have changed at some point.’’

It seems pre 2019 there weren’t any issues removing the rear belts and mechanisms on cars that could ordered with seat deletes from factory. Issues online started popping up 2019 and forward.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I removed everything but the two seat belt female latch ends. They have two wires that have to stay connected or it will cause a light. I simply bubble wrapped and zipped tied them in place. They honestly weigh like a pound each so…

zoom in:
IMG_3114.jpeg

OP
OP
Riverss26

Riverss26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Gen 1
I removed everything but the two seat belt female latch ends. They have two wires that have to stay connected or it will cause a light. I simply bubble wrapped and zipped tied them in place. They honestly weigh like a pound each so…

zoom in:
IMG_3114.jpeg
Awesome and thanks for explaining. I did the thread you were on and took notes on the spray foam etc. How much to you think you save in weight with the mechanisms out? 3lbs per side? Something in that range?

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Awesome and thanks for explaining. I did the thread you were on and took notes on the spray foam etc. How much to you think you save in weight with the mechanisms out? 3lbs per side? Something in that range?
Give or take yeah it’s probably in that range… the seat’s being removed are what really helps the most with weight. I unfortunately added all the weight right back in with the roll bar but it has its purpose so! 🤣

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
At least on my ‘17, there are zero electronics for any rear passenger. There’s no seat detectors, no plugs in the seatbelt mechanism, nada. You will not get any type of light, code, or notice. Just did my delete. Took belts completely out. They are removable and reusable. Have had mine out a couple times now.

Sponsored

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’m not sure what year the change occurred but if you remove the belts on the newer ones it throws a code and you get an airbag warning. If you plug them back in the airbag warning doesn’t go off and you have to take it to a dealer to have them reset it. My ‘21 throws a rear seatbelt warning and airbag warning light because I have bucket seats and removed the front seat wiring. Figure that out… I am ADD af and thought it would be horribly obnoxious but I got used to it and don’t care anymore.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I’m not sure what year the change occurred but if you remove the belts on the newer ones it throws a code and you get an airbag warning. If you plug them back in the airbag warning doesn’t go off and you have to take it to a dealer to have them reset it. My ‘21 throws a rear seatbelt warning and airbag warning light because I have bucket seats and removed the front seat wiring. Figure that out… I am ADD af and thought it would be horribly obnoxious but I got used to it and don’t care anymore.
So you have non factory front seats? Did you put the proper resistor on the airbag wires so as not to get the light?

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So you have non factory front seats? Did you put the proper resistor on the airbag wires so as not to get the light?
No because (at least ‘21 and newer) it’s more than just that. I found a guy on a TrackMustang forum that was able to do it on a ‘21 but the process starts with unplugging the battery for 30 min to not get the code in the first place, which I didn’t do because he told me after it was too late, and now to turn the code off I have to bring it to a dealership. They said no because I put aftermarket seats in.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
No because (at least ‘21 and newer) it’s more than just that. I found a guy on a TrackMustang forum that was able to do it on a ‘21 but the process starts with unplugging the battery for 30 min to not get the code in the first place, which I didn’t do because he told me after it was too late, and now to turn the code off I have to bring it to a dealership. They said no because I put aftermarket seats in.
Ok well I have front racing seats and yes I put in the correct resistors and never had an air bag light come on. I’ll bet money if you do the same and reset the car it will cycle through after so many times and turn off.. (2.2 ohm resistors)
IMG_1554.jpeg

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Only 2021+ have a wiring harness in the rear buckles, so the GT350 will be unaffected.

for 2021+ models you need to tape the buckles down under the seat delete, whereas in previous years you can completely remove them.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored