GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
I have the apr splitter and it does block the air ducts on the belly pan, I places some small washer/spacer so that some air might get thru not sure if it works or not. But the Apr is made really well, I had it on when I was on a road course lost control and ran off the track going across a service road, coming out the other end and getting airborne. splitter came off, belly pan and lower grille. The splitter only had surface scratches no cracks anywhere. I just wet sanded it and cleared put it back on.
Outstanding video!! Nice editing skills too!

I think I will keep the front of the car as stock as possible - the only possible exception might be should a very light CF hood come out - identical to the stock shape and fitment - then I might be tempted. I have some aerocatch hood latches that I never used so thats a great excuse to use em :D

The rear of the car is where I will have some special stuff going on (I hope).
I've ordered the bumper parts from the Premium package so that I can get the stock diffuser on the back, and was thinking of painting the bumper a very deep red.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Too deep into the land of diminishing returns for most of us.

Some years ago the SCCA's monthly magazine reported that losing what I recall was 5 lb per wheel on a Miata ended up being worth only 0.1 to maybe 0.2 seconds on a 40-ish second course. That'd be about half a second on a 2 minute track, but the reality of that same 5 lbs/rotor would likely be less since the effective radius of a rotor tends to be less than that of a wheel. The test was run by a top-shelf autocrosser and builder.

Norm
I remember that article in Grassroots Motorsports and how I took great pleasure in discounting it's findings :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've also run a few MOI calculations for the effect on acceleration (i.e., how much torque is "stolen" from accelerating the entire car forward in order to accelerate the rotational inertias in the rotational sense (yes, the rotational accelerations were forced to be consistent with the forward acceleration). It's not as significant of an effect as people want to believe (and Jason's numbers are at least believable).

Norm

Norm

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I've also run a few MOI calculations for the effect on acceleration (i.e., how much torque is "stolen" from accelerating the entire car forward in order to accelerate the rotational inertias in the rotational sense (yes, the rotational accelerations were forced to be consistent with the forward acceleration). It's not as significant of an effect as people want to believe (and Jason's numbers are at least believable).

Norm

Norm

LALALALALA.. I am not hearing.. LALALALALALA

EDIT: :D

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I think it depends a lot on the starting point. On a Miata dropping 5 lbs / wheel would actually be something of a challenge. On my last car 2011 GT/CS it was a simple thing to drop 23 lbs / wheel moving from those heavy 19" wheels and tires to an 18" lightweight setup and it made a significant difference particularly on corner exit.

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I think it depends a lot on the starting point. On a Miata dropping 5 lbs / wheel would actually be something of a challenge. On my last car 2011 GT/CS it was a simple thing to drop 23 lbs / wheel moving from those heavy 19" wheels and tires to an 18" lightweight setup and it made a significant difference particularly on corner exit.
humor:
The lack of gyrotational mass at each corner makes the car easier to spin.
Sponsored