Sponsored

Rear brakes scorching rotors...& some other stuff.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
I attended a Ford Mustang Owners event in Irvine, CA yesterday. I got to meet the engineering & design teams directly involved with development & production of the 6th generation Mustangs. Very attentive & curious bunch of folks. In a nutshell, they are all well aware of the QC issues at Flat Rock. All I can tell my fellow M6G members with issues is to bring them up to your dealers...LOUDLY. They want to know what is going on and key is to get the dealers involved 110% in getting your issues resolved. If your dealer blows you off, PM Jeff from Ford Service to get your case(s) escalated.

With that said, I am currently having issues with rear end noises coming from the rear left (drivers) tire area & right side back seat area of our GT. Symptoms are described in this thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22269 & this: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23933
Also detailed some issues I have about my transmission making clunking noises when downshifting 4-3-2-1 on Ford's online Mustang survey.

I had a couple of engine & power train engineers go on a 40 minute test drive to hear for themselves what I have been experiencing. Unfortunately, my transmission behaved itself and would not manifest the clunking noises. However, the rear end noises was constant & was determined to be loose half-shaft joints. They both do not believe there is an issue with my Torsen differential or drive-shaft but suggested I have both those checked out as well if the replacement half-shafts do not cure the problem. The tire noise started at around 600 miles and roughly @ 800 miles, it was happening 2 to 3 times every 3-4 days. Now I've lost count and happens everyday & was worse with Hill Assist turned on. As for the double clicking noises in the back seat area, they have no clue what is causing it. :frusty: They definitely do not believe its related to chassis flex or a noisy fuel pump / system issues.

Lastly are my rear brakes, two gents from chassis engineering noticed excessive scorch marks on both my back rotors. Anyone else have this problem? I was told that isn't normal and need to be addressed. Followed by pics for your viewing pleasure:

Drivers sided:

Closeup:

Passenger side:

Closeup:

Cannot say if these burn marks were present before but driving to the even was the longest trip we've done on our GT. We hit typical heavy traffic a few times which I generally do not encounter were I live.

I'll update this thread when I visit my dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

B17drvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th LE #48
The traction control uses the rear brakes and can get them hot if you are spinning the tires or hot rodding.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
The traction control uses the rear brakes and can get them hot if you are spinning the tires or hot rodding.
Makes sense; I was asked that question & I told them I have not done any in the car; I drive it like Ms. Daisy.

I tracked my JRC a lot & was also my DD, she also had upgraded Alcons versus stock set up...never had scorching of the rotors.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
DUDE YOU DIDNT BED YOUR BRAKES WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE CAR THATS WHY THEY LOOK LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!
Duh-rrrr really?

Never ASS-ume. Also no need to yell Bubba.

Some of us may actually know a thing or two about performance cars.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
My rear brakes look like they rarely even grab....like the pads barely touch the disc. Non PP brakes 5.0. Fronts are normal turneded Polish...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Lastly are my rear brakes, two gents from chassis engineering noticed excessive scorch marks on both my back rotors. Anyone else have this problem? I was told that isn't normal and need to be addressed. Followed by pics for your viewing pleasure:

Closeup:

Cannot say if these burn marks were present before but driving to the even was the longest trip we've done on our GT. We hit typical heavy traffic a few times which I generally do not encounter were I live.
Those marks on the brake disk look like machining chatter marks when the disks were manufactured to me. The dark areas in the rough areas look like the brake pads haven't even touched because they are below the disk surface.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Quick update.

Dropped off car at the dealer this morning. Took one of their service managers for a test drive. It's raining down here so my summer tires were not up to optimal grip. Plus the rain noise had me worried he would not be able to hear the slippage noises from the half-shafts. He did not at first until towards the end of the test drive. Diagnosis is going to be sent to Ford for next move. Maybe I'll get the blue FRPP half-shafts...in my dreams.

As for the rear rotor scorching, looks like it is indeed bad machining from the factory. Dealer will still thoroughly diagnose the problem to make sure bad rotors from the factory is the only cause.

Hopefully when all this is fixed, I can finally enjoy our GT while she is sitting in our garage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Another quick update...

Looks like dealership took my car for another test drive with their driveline technician and he is determining noise is internal; so they are looking at the entire complete driveline & its components including the Torsen differential.

Suspensions pieces all checked out & are all to specification with nothing loose. Findings have been forwarded to Ford Service Hotline and will get another update tomorrow afternoon.

Can't believe this is happening on a vehicle with so few miles (1609.7 when I dropped it off) with regular around town driving. :tsk: Only long trips I have taken is to the dealership & Ford event in Irvine. Its disconcerting to say the least, I miss my GT. :(

It be different if I beat the snot out of it...then I'd know what the hell to expect. *sigh*

Last edited:
OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Just came back from the dealer...

Last update...hopefully.

Both rear rotors were replaced under warranty; Galpin didn't even resurface the old ones and just flat out replaced them both.

What kinda pissed me off at first is when I saw "Unable to Duplicate" written in the service notes. :shrug:I'm like dafuq, after you guys drove my car 31 miles did you fix it or not? :tsk:

It was confusing to say the least, considering I took the shop foreman for a test drive to hear the slippage noise for himself. I asked for a clarification because the notes basically contradicted each other. Seems all that was found was sway bar end-links and lower control am bolts that needed tightening. My service adviser also left a voice message indicating the same diagnosis; that some suspension components needed re-torquing & that the noise had been eliminated.

Took the car for another test drive with the shop foreman and no more noise. Drove the car 60 miles home and all seems well; I hope it stays that way. Consider my issues resolved for now.

The key to all this is to be on top of your repairs and not take the dealership & Fords word as face value.:paddle:

Sponsored
OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...