Sponsored

Hill Assist & rear end noise / clunk / thud...

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Apologies for the looong-winded-wall-of-text...:cheers:

It all started with noises coming from my right rear seat area, roughly @ around 300 miles on the clock. It was intermittent but always the same sound like a double clicking. The sound is similar to when the tire kicks up loose gravel up on the wheel well. And it would only sometimes happen when I made any kind of turn, from reversing or a dead stop. Kinda annoying but it was far in between.

Then at around 600 miles, my left rear tire started making a slip-clunking type noise when doing the same maneuvers indicated above. I know that Torsen differentials do make ratchet noises so I attributed it to that. But then again when the car was new, my Torsen was quiet as a church mouse. The rear seat racket now too happens every time I pull out, after the engine is turned off, be it for 5 seconds or 5 hours.

Now as the car gets up to 1100 miles and things start to run smoother, the rear seat racket & tire noise is happening more frequently. The rear seat noises are now on the left seat area as well, so basically the entire back seat area. :shrug: Again, it only happens when i come from a dead stop with the engine turned off. The rear tire noises happen regardless if I came from a stop, making a turn, or shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. I'm familiar with DS noise and this isn't it; aside from the normal MT-82 shift clunk/thud, this is more like I have loose half-shaft joint(s) or a loose wheel. My lugs are tight so the loose wheel scenario isn't the culprit.

I then noticed my Hill Assist was turned on, I'm assuming that is default from the factory as I never messed with the settings. I have no need for it being on so I unchecked it. Soon as I did that, the rear tire noise has diminished 90%. It still does it but its much less pronounced. What I find strange again is it never did it @ the first 300 miles. Hopefully its the break-in process in play.

However as for the rear seat area racket, I need to know dafuq that is. :frusty: I have to wait until my first oil change (free for 2 years) at the dealership to have it looked at; they are 60 miles away from me. I'll need to take a technician for a spin in the car so he/she can hear it.

Anyone else have rear end noises while Hill Assist is on? How about the rear seat area racket...anyone else experiencing it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
Does the rear seat sound, always sound like a "click sound"? When i turn my truck off, within seconds I get a CLICK-CLICK-CLICK sound coming from the gas tank. is this the kind of click sound you hear ?

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Does the rear seat sound, always sound like a "click sound"? When i turn my truck off, within seconds I get a CLICK-CLICK-CLICK sound coming from the gas tank. is this the kind of click sound you hear ?
Always a double click sound...and only happens when I drive off after being parked with the engine off.

I was thinking at first it may be related to the fuel system...its pretty loud to be that though.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
i have the same noise when I am turning right going out of a parking lot on a uneven road. Sounds like there is spring in my rear passenger seat.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
i have the same noise when I am turning right going out of a parking lot on a uneven road. Sounds like there is spring in my rear passenger seat.
I had a couple of power-train engineers go for a test drive in my GT today @ the Ford Owners Event in Irvine this morning.

Looks like the rear left tire clunk / thud noise is related to the half-shafts; either a bad unit or HF joints.:frusty:

The clicking noises in the back seat area they could not pinpoint, they doubt it is chassis or fuel system related. It may be on of those symptoms that will be impossible to isolate and repair.:shrug:

My clunking when downshifting between gears did not :doh:manifest itself, my transmission performed flawlessly after the 40 minute test drive.
Sponsored