Sponsored

Rear Axle Leak at Housing

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Uugghhh…I’ve got a f$&@ing gear oil leak!! It’s leaking right here (pic) where the half shaft goes into the center housing. It’s gear oil. It’s not grease from a boot or anything. And it’s leaking good enough to drip slowly after a 10 mile drive.

Is there a shaft seal right there that’s fairly easy to replace? Haven’t dug into it yet, but one would think there’d be a seal right there that could be swapped out with the shaft pulled out, no?

Anyone had this one or tackled this?

79EFD963-26EF-4B8A-B878-6068DD7CCDBC.jpeg
Sponsored

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The ring on the end of your half shaft needs to be seated correctly inside the rear diff housing. If it's not seated correctly it will leak. You will have to take off the caliper and lower control arm to access.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If that were the case, wouldn’t that imply the half shaft wasn’t fully in the center housing? Seems unlikely if everything is assembled just fine. Also seems unlikely to make it 30K miles before it started leaking for that to be the culprit. Also considering the half shaft has never been out. But I agree, great tip for reassembly.

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yes there is a seal that sits in the rear diff housing as well. Most likely that is at fault here.

1683904794397.png

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
RockAuto had three brands of seals; Timken, BCA, and National. I couldn’t really decide and didn’t know what to base it on, so I bought all three to do a quality comparison, LOL.

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK, just for fun and FYI. Here's the three brand seals I got. From L to R; Timken, BCA, and National. Right off the bat you can see the Timken is different. Soo much so, it doesn't even look like the right part. But the dimensions are correct. Clearly the runt of the litter. Not even an option. It's half as robuts as the other two. See further pictures.

Between the BCA and the National, there's really no discernible difference other than a slight different in that o-ring/seal around the outer edge. The internals are darn near identical (Sans the BCA has some labeling on the rubber internal seal where the National does not, but otherwise internally identical). Both are made in Taiwan. Any differences you'd otherwise force yourself to nitpick, there's truly no one item in quality, feel, nor appearance, that edges one out over the other. Literally a coin toss.

IMG_7029.jpeg

IMG_7030.jpeg

IMG_7031.jpeg

IMG_7032.jpeg

Outermost seal difference between the BCA (L) and National (R).

IMG_7033.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The o-ring on the BCA looks like would probably provide the best seal.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I agree. Maybe that’s the edge.

I also plan to take a quick look at a Ford seal when I go grab an axle nut.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I agree. Maybe that’s the edge.

I also plan to take a quick look at a Ford seal when I go grab an axle nut.
Copy that. Will you be using a slide hammer to remove the old seal and a seal installer tool?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Please consider documenting the removal and installation for us if you‘re able too. Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
There’s a couple videos out there already. Probably tackle this seal the way I’ve tackled any other seal…a screw driver for removal and a piece of wood to get it started in. Don’t think that method has ever failed anyone, LOL.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
For those of you sitting on pins and needles to see what I choose…hahahaha…I am going with the BCA. It is the most solid piece out of the bunch. What put it ahead? The seal around the outer diameter, and the labeling/markings on the inner seal piece. Also the packaging. Yes, I’m a sucker for good packaging. The BCA was in a sealed bag inside the box (National had no bag at all), and the box was noticeably nicer.

The right side isn’t leaking, but if I get in here and the stock seal looks anything like that Timken, I’m gonna do both sides while it’s in the air.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And another update...the Ford branded axle seal is in fact a BCA. They were a perfect (visually) match. RockAuto was $12 or thereabouts for the BCA. And get this...sit down for this one...ready...ready...this same seal in the Ford bag from the dealer was....$70!!!!!! GTFOH.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
And another update...the Ford branded axle seal is in fact a BCA. They were a perfect (visually) match. RockAuto was $12 or thereabouts for the BCA. And get this...sit down for this one...ready...ready...this same seal in the Ford bag from the dealer was....$70!!!!!! GTFOH.
Wow! When you mentioned the price difference of $58, I envisioned the man/woman at the Ford parts counter wearing one of these while manning the register.

1686005831867.jpeg

My response would have been this: “Feet, don’t y’all fail me now! Let’s get the hell outta here!”

Brian O

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I just tapped two Timkens into mine. I did not do the "buy them all and compair". I also put some sealer around shoulder to aid the Timken orange seal on side. We shall see.
Sponsored