Sponsored

Raspy Rattle Sounds

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
5500 miles stock everything. The noise sounds like something is loose in the exhaust or something is moving around causing noise. Happens at operating temp (30-45 minute drive) above 3k RPM and appears under load or no load.

Listen for the noise as I let off to shift. It's quieter but still noticeable after the shift also.

It is not frequent so I don't really know of what it could be. I want to take it in to get looked at but with how infrequently it happens I figure the dealer won't be able to replicate it. Any ideas for things to check?

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I couldn't quite hear what you hear in that video. I would suggest to put the car up on ramps if you can and then bang on the mufflers, resonators and cats with a mallet. I had a problem with a cat that was rattling and it was replaced under warranty.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Resonator guts are loose and rattling. Mine has done it a couple times, then goes away. The one time it was doing it, had someone rev the car up to 4K RPM then fall back to idle while I laid on the ground and could plainly hear the noise coming from the resonator.

Time to get an H or X pipe ... or if you like the stock sound time for a dealer warranty on a new resonator.

OP
OP

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
Resonator and cats were my top offenders. My only fear with the X-pipe is that if it doesn't fix it and it turns out to be the cat the warranty is null...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Resonator and cats were my top offenders. My only fear with the X-pipe is that if it doesn't fix it and it turns out to be the cat the warranty is null...
If you catch it when it's doing it, have someone rev your car up and down between idle and 4K while you lay on the ground facing the resonator. If it's the resonator you'll be able to clearly tell the sound is coming from it. If you're not sure what it is, let the dealership diagnose it.

On my car, the resonator seemed to rattle only after I did some pretty hard driving and the exhaust system was probably running hotter and something inside the resonator got loose with higher temperature.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
i have a similar one coming from my speakers,..rattling around 35 mph
Sponsored