Sponsored

RACE RED ecoboost, 201A, 68B with commentary

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
So Ill start with the generic... the car does look better in person, low and wide great proportions, front end design fits perfect in real world. I did a bit of an exercise where i would take a pic then look at the pic and then back at the car without moving and its kinda crazy how seeing it in 3D with my eyes vs a screen makes it all fit together better...

BTW good job Ford hiring this particular trainer, was VERY friendly and entertained my questions while i played with the car, MFT, etc

Car was Race Red 201A with 68B ebony interior

So my thoughts on various things that were important to me so i focused on them.

Shaker Pro... contrary to some of the audiophiles i thought the system sounded great, I played with it with some country music, rap, pop and it sounded great no matter what. It was definitely the equivalent of the H&K system in my audi (which was the upgrade) I think 99% of 401A (and 201A) buyers will think its awesome

68B interior, top door panels were soft touch as expected. however it was very soft material, softer than the doors in my audi. I would say the soft touch is on par with the material around the stack. the audi doors are a bit harder than that without being "hard plastic". very nicely done Ford. one thing to add, I thought the rest of the door material wasn't full on laptop case type of hard plastic so those not getting 68B might not be that disappointed. (if soft touch only comes 68B)

The seats were great, soft and supportive. I am disappointed in the seatback range of motion when folding it forward to get someone out. it did have the "return" feature to your last spot. Also cant for the life of me understand why ford didn't put in power seat backs considering the general level of class in the interior (and the memory function) makes no sense

This car like all the other trainers had the 18s. I felt they fit the car just fine, gaps didn't look excessive and they were more flush with the fenders than any S197 wheel except the brembo package. the rep did mention that they don't want all the wheels pushed all the way out like the optional 20s because it disrupts the airflow across the side of the car for fuel mileage purposes... interesting tidbit.

MFT: haven't used a car with it for more than a minute until today, was just as responsive and fast as Idrive, audi MMI. Not to deny there weren't any real issues in the past but the newest version works fine.

Body fit and finish was also very good, this was confirmed to be a preproduction car. I'm sure if I got out a measuring tape down the decimeter i could find gaps that weren't perfect. Hood alignment from 2 ft away looked very good from 10 ft away looked perfect. And i was purposely looking for misaligned angles and gaps. Hood gaps were a bit wider than my audi but the alignment was similar. Body panel gaps were similar to the audi

I heard the ecoboost rev.. sounds good for a 4cyl turbo, its deep for a 4cyl turbo, but its unmistakably a 4cyl turbo. I would say on par with the BMW 428i stock...

I have referenced Audi and BMW a number of times because those are the cars I am comparing to for my own shopping 435 and S5. So those are the standards i am holding the car to in order to get me back in a mustang.

Gonna attach a few pics in a min
Sponsored

katarn22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White EcoBoost Premium Mustang
This may be pedantic, but if it was a 401A, it wasn't an Ecoboost.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. It is a dimension where a Mustang is compared favorably to an Audi and a BMW. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone."

Seriously, though.. great review, and I'm glad you got a detailed pic of the 68B seats... I couldn't remember if they had white stitching or not.

Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I am disappointed in the seatback range of motion when folding it forward to get someone out. it did have the "return" feature to your last spot. Also cant for the life of me understand why ford didn't put in power seat backs considering the general level of class in the interior (and the memory function) makes no sense

could've sworn that every model had a return feature (I believe I read it in the owner's manual, too lazy to find it). Anyone else remember?

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Great write up thank you

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the review and pics. Nice seeing the 68B seats closeup because I ordered those. Leather looks really nice. Did you happen to take note of the buttons and switchgear? I am coming from an Acura TSX so I am wondering if the quality is close. My 06' GT was not quite as nice so I am wondering how much it has improved.

OP
OP

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
Thanks for the review and pics. Nice seeing the 68B seats closeup because I ordered those. Leather looks really nice. Did you happen to take note of the buttons and switchgear? I am coming from an Acura TSX so I am wondering if the quality is close. My 06' GT was not quite as nice so I am wondering how much it has improved.
I played with most of the buttons and nothing felt cheap that I noticed. To be honest I had a 2010 and I was very satisfied with those buttons quality. The toggles had a nice positive click feeling when using them for steering, drive modes, etc. considering where ford has gone with their interiors the last 5 years I didn't really expect anything to feel cheap

Racerzx

I played with most of the buttons and nothing felt cheap that I noticed. To be honest I had a 2010 and I was very satisfied with those buttons quality. The toggles had a nice positive click feeling when using them for steering, drive modes, etc. considering where ford has gone with their interiors the last 5 years I didn't really expect anything to feel cheap
Did you have any issues with really bad glare from the toggle switches and all the other interior aluminum/chrome? It picks it up pretty good in the pictures and something I have been worrying about. Most guys here saw the car indoors it seems but yours was outside under heavy sunlight.

Sponsored
OP
OP

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
Did you have any issues with really bad glare from the toggle switches and all the other interior aluminum/chrome? It picks it up pretty good in the pictures and something I have been worrying about. Most guys here saw the car indoors it seems but yours was outside under heavy sunlight.
glare is more of a function of the camera lens... eyes are much more adept at managing it. it wasnt shiny like a mirror reflecting into my eye at all. Nav screen was pretty clear of glare as well the touchscreen is more of a matte cover than flat glass like say a plasma TV

Racerzx

Thanks yea at least Ford was smart to not surround the touchscreen bezel with any of the shiny stuff. I like it on the toggle switches but would prefer less in the overall center stack

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
The Race Red really pops. I'd have a hard time picking over this color. It's my favorite along with Deep Impact Blue.
Sponsored