Sponsored

Quick Question ! Does a new Trans need to be programmed to my car?

thegtway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arhmad
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
We are replacing the 6r80 transmission in my 2016 mustang GT (not replacing anything computer related). After completed does the car need to be taken anywhere to get the new transmission programmed to my vehicle or should my car learn the new transmission on its on ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Needs to be programd

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yep - and you need to do a crank relearn procedure as well after the trans has been programmed. Anytime there is major engine or trans work performed, a crank relearn is mandatory.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
As long it’s from the same generation, and from a Mustang GT, no programming needed. No crank relearn needed, but always good practice.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As long it’s from the same generation, and from a Mustang GT, no programming needed. No crank relearn needed, but always good practice.
The pcm needs to be programed to the replacement transmission/valve body . The solenoids in the main control have different flow rates and need to be programed into the pcm .

1. If a new main control was installed, record the 12-digit solenoid body identification and 13-digit solenoid body strategy from the replacement solenoid body tag provided with the main control service kit. Place the replacement tag over the existing identification tag.
    • 13 - digit solenoid body strategy
    • 12 - digit solenoid body identification

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The pcm needs to be programed to the replacement transmission/valve body . The solenoids in the main control have different flow rates and need to be programed into the pcm .

1. If a new main control was installed, record the 12-digit solenoid body identification and 13-digit solenoid body strategy from the replacement solenoid body tag provided with the main control service kit. Place the replacement tag over the existing identification tag.
    • 13 - digit solenoid body strategy
    • 12 - digit solenoid body identification
Mine didn’t require anything when I put in my latest PBH tranny. 1600 miles on it and shifts/performs exactly like it did with my previous one. PBH said it’s not necessary as well. If it was from an F-150, that would be different.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine didn’t require anything when I put in my latest PBH tranny. 1600 miles on it and shifts/performs exactly like it did with my previous one. PBH said it’s not necessary as well. If it was from an F-150, that would be different.
Right out of the service manual .

1. If a new transmission or a new main control was installed, the solenoid body strategy must be updated.
    Refer to: Transmission Strategy Download (307-01 Automatic Transmission - 6-Speed Automatic Transmission – 6R80, General Procedures).

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Right out of the service manual .

1. If a new transmission or a new main control was installed, the solenoid body strategy must be updated.
    Refer to: Transmission Strategy Download (307-01 Automatic Transmission - 6-Speed Automatic Transmission – 6R80, General Procedures).
This may only apply to “New” PCM’s and “New” valve bodies.
Sponsored