OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 I was watching an older video from Sandro this evening on Bead Maker, in his testing it didn't perform all that well. He seemed to prefer just about everything else he tested over Bead Maker.

It has me thinking I should switch out my Bead Maker for Nova Boost instead and use the Bead Maker for... something else.

It looks like you're a fan of Bead Maker, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
People tend to get all wound up over the apparent lack of durability of Bead Maker, and in some cases, they are correct.

Bead Maker is a polymer sealant, meaning it will never have the longevity potential of a ceramic/Si02 type product. And to get the claimed longevity, you need to apply it heavy. But...............

Most people use Bead Maker as a drying aid, which was NEVER the original purpose for the product. As such, they apply a few sprays, wipe and call it done, which is generally the done thing with a drying aid. However, you won't get longevity from that type application. But..............

Why are people expecting Bead Maker to last so long anyway? Aren't we using it after each wash? Then why worry about longevity then?

I use Bead Maker for the gloss and slickness it brings to the table, not longevity. I like that it can be used every surface (wheels, paint, glass, plastic trim, rubber trim, engine bays, exhaust tips........) and I love the fragrance.

That's not to say NV Boost v2 is a bad product. If you are wanting something that will last longer, then it's a great option. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for regular use as a drying aid, Bead Maker holds the edge for me.
Sponsored

amkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prado, Volkswagen Passat
It wasn't so much the longevity that shocked me in the test, but the lack of beading (which is ironic considering the name).

Reload, Boost and Jet all showed significantly better performance sheeting water away, whereas Bead Maker was really lackluster.

Now that video is 4 years old, so it may have changed since then, but I found it really surprising.

There's no arguing that it's an easy product to apply, but after watching the video it has me wondering if I'll get better bang for my buck/performance using Boost v2 in its place.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It wasn't so much the longevity that shocked me in the test, but the lack of beading (which is ironic considering the name).

Reload, Boost and Jet all showed significantly better performance sheeting water away, whereas Bead Maker was really lackluster.

Now that video is 4 years old, so it may have changed since then, but I found it really surprising.

There's no arguing that it's an easy product to apply, but after watching the video it has me wondering if I'll get better bang for my buck/performance using Boost v2 in its place.
Yeah, P&S sort of screwed that one up, they later claimed the "beading" was from how the product beads on the paint during application. After using for 3 years now, I can't say that I have been disappointed with how it beads water.

I guess it comes down to what you want or like from the product; longevity and superb water behavior (Boost) or exceptional gloss and slickness (BM).

amkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prado, Volkswagen Passat
Thats a fair point, sounds like I should buy some Boost anyway (because why not) and try them both for myself to see what I like.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Sponsored

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I think you may find Bead Maker won't have the durability of TC product, but that's not really important if you are using it as a drying aid.
I got my beadmaker and fancy spraybottles today.. i didnt wash my mustang cuz its my DD and its supposed to be crappy all next week. I tried it on my C8, used adams mega foam on a foam cannon, and car pro reset for the 2 bucket hand wash, then the beadmaker as a drying agent to go over the car after air cannoning it dry…

1st. Im not totally crazy about the car pro reset wash… nothing wrong with it but i like a sudsier wash… not sure of your opinion on the carpro wash? Ill probably use my favorites for the hand wash: adams mega or chemical guys max suds

2nd. the beadmaker went on pretty slick and looked fantastic. You could totally see where it was applied. Ive had good luck with detailers choice but i seemed to be able to notice the beadmaker more…

3rd. Those fairly expensive mercury spray bottles seemed pretty solid, the one i used today worked well, i like sort of delayed spray…

thanks for the tips DFB

IMG_7626.jpeg

IMG_7633.jpeg

IMG_7630.jpeg

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Not to answer my own question… but i guess i will.. i lurked your threads started and saw what you wrote about carpro reset….

Carpro Reset – In my opinion, the best maintenance soap on the market. Exceptional foaming, exceptional slickness, exceptional scent and pH neutral. Reset is expensive, but this is a classic case of you get what you pay for. I keep trying different soaps, but nothing really seems to be able to match Reset as a total package.

Lubrication – 10/10
Cleaning Ability 10/10
Scent – Hard to describe, it’s simply brilliant!
PH Level – 7.5
Consistency - Thin
Overall Rating – 10/10
maybe i was just too stingy with the soap… it was bot sll that sudsy for me, ill try it again adding more product.

Totally agree with you on the smell though…. it is “make you want to drink it” good… lol

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
People tend to get all wound up over the apparent lack of durability of Bead Maker, and in some cases, they are correct.

Bead Maker is a polymer sealant, meaning it will never have the longevity potential of a ceramic/Si02 type product. And to get the claimed longevity, you need to apply it heavy. But...............

Most people use Bead Maker as a drying aid, which was NEVER the original purpose for the product. As such, they apply a few sprays, wipe and call it done, which is generally the done thing with a drying aid. However, you won't get longevity from that type application. But..............

Why are people expecting Bead Maker to last so long anyway? Aren't we using it after each wash? Then why worry about longevity then?

I use Bead Maker for the gloss and slickness it brings to the table, not longevity. I like that it can be used every surface (wheels, paint, glass, plastic trim, rubber trim, engine bays, exhaust tips........) and I love the fragrance.

That's not to say NV Boost v2 is a bad product. If you are wanting something that will last longer, then it's a great option. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for regular use as a drying aid, Bead Maker holds the edge for me.
BINGO!!!!
👍

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Not to answer my own question… but i guess i will.. i lurked your threads started and saw what you wrote about carpro reset….

maybe i was just too stingy with the soap… it was bot sll that sudsy for me, ill try it again adding more product.

Totally agree with you on the smell though…. it is “make you want to drink it” good… lol
I will chime in on CarPro Reset. It does suds pretty good for me, I dump 100 Mil in my bucket and put about 2.5 to 3 gallons. Not sure what the ratio is on that one. I do hit with the pressure washer before I start actually using it to foam it up a bit. And the smell is totally addictive, it is slick as all get out and cleans fantastic. It is my go to by far. I think I equally like Koch Chemie GSF, smells good, very slick and foams pretty good too.

That said, I have never seen anything that foams like Adams Mega Foam :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

With Reset, Carpro quote some pretty wild dilution ratios, out to 400-500:1.

While you can do that, I go with the following -

80-100ml in my foam cannon bottle.

A generous slug onto my wash mitt, not measured.

I then foam the car to get the soap directly on the paint rather than relying on the bucket solution to provide the suds. I do this with a single bucket by the way, basically one rinse bucket to wash the mitt between sections. I know this contradicts the whole two-bucket method thing, but from my perspective, having the soap on the paint delivers maximum lubrication and suds. I do this with every soap I use, not just Reset.

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
With Reset, Carpro quote some pretty wild dilution ratios, out to 400-500:1.

While you can do that, I go with the following -

80-100ml in my foam cannon bottle.

A generous slug onto my wash mitt, not measured.

I then foam the car to get the soap directly on the paint rather than relying on the bucket solution to provide the suds. I do this with a single bucket by the way, basically one rinse bucket to wash the mitt between sections. I know this contradicts the whole two-bucket method thing, but from my perspective, having the soap on the paint delivers maximum lubrication and suds. I do this with every soap I use, not just Reset.
yeah when i read the bottle directions it seemed like yhe soap to water ratio was small. Now i feel the need to wash my mustang today….

so you foam cannon the car, leave the foam on, then add soap to the mitt and mitt wash it section by section while the foam is still on? I have been rinsing the foam off then hand washing, but wondered if hand washing over the foam would be better.. thanks again

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
yeah when i read the bottle directions it seemed like yhe soap to water ratio was small. Now i feel the need to wash my mustang today….

so you foam cannon the car, leave the foam on, then add soap to the mitt and mitt wash it section by section while the foam is still on?

I have been rinsing the foam off then hand washing, but wondered if hand washing over the foam would be better.. thanks again
Your method is the traditional way to do, but I have modified my approach over the years to suit my situation.

1/Clean the wheels, tires, exhaust tips.
2/Pre-rinse the car.
3/Foam the car.
4/Hand wash, using one bucket to rinse the wash mitt between sections. I just add a little soap to the mitt for thoroughness, but if the car is covered in soap/foam, that's not critical.
5/Rinse, then dry.

If the car is super dirty, then I add another step -

2/Foam the car from dry, no pre-rinse.
3/Rinse.
4/Re-foam the car.
5/Hand wash, using one bucket to rinse the wash mitt between sections. (Again, soap on the wash mitt).
6/Rinse, then dry.

In both cases, the initial rinse and/or pre-soak foaming will remove most of the dirt and contaminants, again negating the need for the second bucket.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Your method is the traditional way to do, but I have modified my approach over the years to suit my situation.

2/Pre-rinse the car.
3/Foam the car.
4/Hand wash, using one bucket to rinse the wash mitt between sections. I just add a little soap to the mitt for thoroughness, but if the car is covered in soap/foam, that's not critical.
5/Rinse, then dry.

If the car is super dirty, then I add another step -

2/Foam the car from dry, no pre-rinse.
3/Rinse.
4/Re-foam the car.
5/Hand wash, using one bucket to rinse the wash mitt between sections. (Again, soap on the wash mitt).
6/Rinse, then dry.

In both cases, the initial rinse and/or pre-soak foaming will remove most of the dirt and contaminants, again negating the need for the second bucket.
I have adopted an approach a lot like this. I foam, work on the wheels and tires while it soaks, rinse, then foam again, then hit it with the wash mits while the foam is on the car. I do have a bucket that I put a little soap in the water (1 shot glass full or 50Mil) for my wash, but rather than rinse the mits, I have multiple mits. I use a minimum of 3 sometimes 4 depending on how dirty the lower panels are. One for the top surfaces and glass. One for the upper side panels, and another for the lower areas, valances and rocker panels. I then have a second bucket for wheels with soapy water and all my brushes and tools, I use my third bucket for just water to put the mits and towels in to soak especially the ones I use any SiO2 detail sprays on before I wash them.

This seems to be the most efficient for me, it creates a lot of laundry LOL but I like it. I have 2 bigger microfiber wash "pads' I use up top and some smaller pads for the lowers that fit in my hand better.

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Ok thanks guys…
I used adams tire and wheel cleaner on the rims/tires… i have no experience with this product, i got it in one of their mystery boxes. It seemed to work well.

I used the car pro reset in the foam cannon, it foamed really well. I foamed it twice, then added it to my sponge on a sudsed up car…. followed up with the beadmaker drying. I think it came out fantastic!
Thanks for the info guys! I have a new cleaning routine..

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7652.jpeg
Sponsored