Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Here is a response from Roush to a question I asked on Facebook Messenger. Vendors are having great Black Friday sales on competitor's kits. I am very tempted by a Whipple tuner package with a Lund tune. However, the "Ford blue" blood surging through my veins wants me to consider the Roush. Lol...

Screenshot_2019-11-06-09-33-07~2.png

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Damn I thought they would release the info at Sema, a few venders in the vids said we would see it?

Plus I thought VMP would too, the only other place to release new info is PRI

The Whipple (Lund runs them on two of his cars) with a custom Lund tune, Bop and ID1050x would be bad ass

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Damn I thought they would release the info at Sema, a few venders in the vids said we would see it?

Plus I thought VMP would too, the only other place to release new info is PRI

The Whipple (Lund runs them on two of his cars) with a custom Lund tune, Bop and ID1050x would be bad ass
I also emailed Roush yesterday and the person who replied told me to watch for announcement at SEMA! Lol....

The Whipple tuner kit is really overkill for what I want. The reasons I would go custom tune is for drivability and safety.....not for additional performance. However, a little too much is better than not quite enough. Lol

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
So, here are my times. Got to the dragstrip at 5:15 with my IAT2's around 135 degrees. Car was mostly off for about an hour and 40 minutes other than driving it to tech when the gates opened and some stop and go until I got in the lanes at 6:50. My first run was at 6:55 and my IAT's were at 143 degrees after my burnout. I ran an 11.420 @ 118.91. At 88mph during the run the IAT2 hit 160 degrees and the throttle body started closing and boost dropped. No where near as bad as two weeks ago but when I let off the gas, boost was at about 6lbs and the throttle position was at 63%. I only picked up 20mph after the 1/8th. The car launched really hard during this run and I definitely felt it.

I actually got told I had to slow down by the time slip guy because I was only teched to 11.5.. So I had to go get teched for 10 AAA after that..

My next run was at about 10pm. Had I not left the car in sport I would have had a much better time I think as my IAT2 was about 130 after my burnout. This run I didn't launch as well and my car always runs slower in sport mode. I picked up almost 23mph after the 1/8th this time though. I did do a dragy comparison for my second run. 0-60 times are included as well.

IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0445.PNG
IMG_0446.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So, here are my times. Got to the dragstrip at 5:15 with my IAT2's around 135 degrees. Car was mostly off for about an hour and 40 minutes other than driving it to tech when the gates opened and some stop and go until I got in the lanes at 6:50. My first run was at 6:55 and my IAT's were at 143 degrees after my burnout. I ran an 11.420 @ 118.91. At 88mph during the run the IAT2 hit 160 degrees and the throttle body started closing and boost dropped. No where near as bad as two weeks ago but when I let off the gas, boost was at about 6lbs and the throttle position was at 63%. I only picked up 20mph after the 1/8th. The car launched really hard during this run and I definitely felt it.

I actually got told I had to slow down by the time slip guy because I was only teched to 11.5.. So I had to go get teched for 10 AAA after that..

My next run was at about 10pm. Had I not left the car in sport I would have had a much better time I think as my IAT2 was about 130 after my burnout. This run I didn't launch as well and my car always runs slower in sport mode. I picked up almost 23mph after the 1/8th this time though. I did do a dragy comparison for my second run. 0-60 times are included as well.

IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0445.PNG
IMG_0446.PNG

What was the DA?
Temps at the time of racing

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
In the performance report, it says 3669 DA. If accurate, the 11.4 might be reasonable. The trap speeds are low, though. Seems that the car pulls good to the 1/8 and then falls apart. The IAT2 temps are killing the progress.

If this is the normal behavior for the Roush kit, I can see where it probably makes a good impression on the street. It just doesn't work for the occasional drag strip run.

Bloney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
In the performance report, it says 3669 DA. If accurate, the 11.4 might be reasonable. The trap speeds are low, though. Seems that the car pulls good to the 1/8 and then falls apart. The IAT2 temps are killing the progress.

If this is the normal behavior for the Roush kit, I can see where it probably makes a good impression on the street. It just doesn't work for the occasional drag strip run.
I have seen many vids of the 18+ GT running mid 120mph out the back door going low 11's high 10's. I still think something goofy is going on with his car. I'd send that data to Roush and keep them working on it. If he had the updated digital TB installed I'd be looking there. There almost seems to be communication issues between the ECU and TB causing it to close. Maybe it's seeing data not related to heat causing it. Just a guess, but I'd be working with Roush to get it ironed out.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Will Roush techs be helpful at diagnosing or correcting issues that occur at the drag strip?

Bloney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Will Roush techs be helpful at diagnosing or correcting issues that occur at the drag strip?
Jack Roush built his business racing, I'd like to think that they would. Lol But you never know these day's I guess.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
11.40@119
+3600 DA

Correct that to +500 DA

Probably around a 11.20@121-122

Still not great, Yea something’s gotta be up with that tune

Alex Flores was talking about IATS and said 130-140 isn’t terrible but your seeing 160

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I am surprised that the DA was that high in late evening. Are we sure that is accurate?

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
@hlfbkd420 I’m sure you are not wanting to buy anymore tools to help diagnose your problem. One thing I would suggest to help
is buying an infrared temp gun. I would shoot the heat exchanger and various coolant pipes to determine what your Intercooler water temps are doing.

Would good to post some of the data you find also. I’m thinking your water temps are 140+ before you are even making to the burnout box.

When I let my car sit for about 30 min with engine off I open the drivers door and activate the I/C pump. The water leaving the lower manifold is usually around 160+! This is due to ambient engine heat soaking the lower manifold. The cooler water from my tank quickly cools the water back down. The roush kit has the largest volume of water leaving the lower manifold and being stored in the tank. This makes it tough to remove the heat from the system especially while at the track.

I’m doing some research now on a easy way to have the factory fans to run with I/C pump running with out the engine running. I think this would help you out a lot when at the track. You should have about 15 to 20 min run time without killing the battery.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I also emailed Roush yesterday and the person who replied told me to watch for announcement at SEMA! Lol....
Have you guys found any info on the Phase 2 kit during SEMA??
I've been doing Google searches with no luck. I don't think they had anything for SEMA, except for the 2020 JR special edition car?

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I told them flat out that’s it’s been to the strip. They have been super cool so far.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Have you guys found any info on the Phase 2 kit during SEMA??
I've been doing Google searches with no luck. I don't think they had anything for SEMA, except for the 2020 JR special edition car?
Zero news. I have been checking Facebook, YouTube, Lebanon Ford's website and everywhere else I can think of.