Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
Just read some couple issue.... Its unbelievable. I had 20 gt with phase 2 and didnt have a single problem. What the difference with 20 and 21? I don't get it. Traded in my 20 roush sc gt and got the gt350 right now. I miss the power so I plan to go back.
Was gonna do the roush sc upgrade on my 2021 vert until I read this thread on the issues people are having.mine is also a daily driver and reliability is super important. As of now I am not doing anything.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
hmmm, I assume reliability wouldn't be that great? i dont really care about miles getting high or the value. Reliability is all it matters
My car is 2021 with 5k miles so far, so I cannot speak about reliability. My intention is to keep the car for extended time, so I wouldn't want to see 100k miles in 5 years. I also need another car for winter, too much salt on the roads. You might be planning something different, like sell yours in a few years and in that case it would be just fine. Also, mustang is not very cheap as daily for tons of miles. Tires, premium fuel, mpg, maintenance - all adds up quickly if you do a lot of driving. And if you do it for work, then you effectively reduce your income by adding these costs.

Reliability is all relative these days. I bought a Camry because Toyota and it was supposed to be super reliable. It did great for the first 100k miles and then gearbox started kicking and doing some unpleasant stuff. It turned out that that model year had a known issue, not covered by any recall and I was out of warranty of course. Well, I traded it for the mustang 😄

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
nothing but problems with my 21
I've been closely watching your story and it's been crazy, but it seems to me that the problems are much more dealer related than the car itself. A good mechanic and a service manager who cares would have fixed it long time ago. Hope you get it resolved after all.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I don't have a lot of miles on my 2018 with the Roush but I wouldn't worry at all about reliability or durability. The Eaton TVS blower is a proven design. The Coyote engine is quite capable of handling boost as long as you use 5W50 oil and quality 93 octane fuel.

I don't know what is going on with the Roush tune on some 2021s. The '18 - '20 tune is excellent....smooth, safe and potent.

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
I'm in the midst of the first issue with my car. It's an 18 with the 700hp tune. It shows catalytic converter efficiency below threshold (P0430). The car runs just fine other than the light. It came on during a recent 3300+ mile trip and even went out for a bit before coming back on. The performance remains OK (averaged 22mpg with mostly 75-80mph speeds and mountain driving), but it's scheduled for a checkup next week. It was noted by someone earlier that the 700hp tune can be hard on the cats. I'm contemplating upgrading to the 750hp tune if it might help (oh, such a sacrifice). We'll see how the dealer does. They're not the original seller/installer, but they are a Roush dealer that does a significant amount of work with superchargers. Other than this issue, it's been a very nice ride. No oil consumption or other issues to date. BTW, this thing is a beast in the mountains.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
According to Roush, one of the enhancements in the last Phase 2 tune addressed cat issues. I don't know if Roush is still offering enhancements to the Phase 1 tune. In fact, I don't know why it is still offered.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I'm wondering where FP supercharger kit stands now, as it was "upgraded" to 750hp this year. I assume they just switched it to P2 tune at some point, but it doesn't say anywhere explicitly.

Tucaz520

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1973 mach 1, 2021 GT
Good evening yall got a quick question. Used to own 2020 gt with roush phase two and thinking of going back. This time however, will be my daily with annual 20k miles of driving. What are yall thoughts? reliable enough? any tune issues to the 21 models?
long story short so you dont have to read to far back.

Purchased car mid April
Took delivery June 9th drove car from Ohio to North Carolina with no issue
June 10th check engine light.
June 11th took to Tindol Ford #1 roush dealership in the nation
1 week later they said they couldn't find any issue. Turned off light told me to pick up car.
2 days later check engine light back on and back to dealership.
Dealership had car for 49-ish days i don't remember any more. final diagnosis car was confused we reset the memory 5 times in a row and its fixed.
Check engine light on same day i picked up car.
Has been at the dealership 20+ days this time.

But hey the car was dove today and woke up from deep sleep mode, so either they are data loging it or taking it to lunch.

emails to Natalie Tindol the dealership owner are going unanswered.

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
According to Roush, one of the enhancements in the last Phase 2 tune addressed cat issues. I don't know if Roush is still offering enhancements to the Phase 1 tune. In fact, I don't know why it is still offered.
I'm wondering where FP supercharger kit stands now, as it was "upgraded" to 750hp this year. I assume they just switched it to P2 tune at some point, but it doesn't say anywhere explicitly.
I should hopefully be able to answer these questions next week. I've got the thicker LTR, so just switching out the tune would get it up to the latest specs. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the 750hp tune was the only one available.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
There's got to be a difference in the engine somewhere, or tune perhaps, between the '18 - '20 Mustang to the '21 Mustang. No way they are just having issues out of the blue like that, unless they are using a less superior vendor and they are supplying a lesser quality product??

Maybe @Fx2beast can chime in.
He's a Ford Technician.

gtcs20148

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
So my Roush Phase 2 kit is installed but after they flashed the Roush Tune, the car has gone into Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced power mode. It is not throwing any codes, just the wrench on the dash. The garage has been at it all day with Roush. Hoping to get a resolution tomorrow or Friday.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Maybe these technicians aren't loading the tunes properly??
IIRC,......I think there are many, many steps for installing the Roush tune and they have to be done exactly right to a "T". I think someone posted the process in this thread sometime a while ago.

Just a guess here.

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
long story short so you dont have to read to far back.

Purchased car mid April
Took delivery June 9th drove car from Ohio to North Carolina with no issue
June 10th check engine light.
June 11th took to Tindol Ford #1 roush dealership in the nation
1 week later they said they couldn't find any issue. Turned off light told me to pick up car.
2 days later check engine light back on and back to dealership.
Dealership had car for 49-ish days i don't remember any more. final diagnosis car was confused we reset the memory 5 times in a row and its fixed.
Check engine light on same day i picked up car.
Has been at the dealership 20+ days this time.

But hey the car was dove today and woke up from deep sleep mode, so either they are data loging it or taking it to lunch.

emails to Natalie Tindol the dealership owner are going unanswered.
I am so sorry this is happening to you. Hope this gets resolved asap...
Decided to purchase 21 gt and send it. Might still need to think if I want to go roush this time tho

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
There's got to be a difference in the engine somewhere, or tune perhaps, between the '18 - '20 Mustang to the '21 Mustang. No way they are just having issues out of the blue like that, unless they are using a less superior vendor and they are supplying a lesser quality product??

Maybe @Fx2beast can chime in.
He's a Ford Technician.
Not making any statements, but there are few folks here with issues and hundreds or maybe thousands of 21's getting roush blowers. I don't think that this is representative, as you don't hear from those who ride with no problems.

The issues that are described here a certainly legit, but we don't know how the installation was done for example. Could be a batch of defective fuel pumps by Ford, which happened to pass QA for NA cars but fail on SC, or whatever else. There was another thread from a guy where his mechanic forgot to install intake manifold gaskets. You can't blame the car or a kit for that :).

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Not making any statements, but there are few folks here with issues and hundreds or maybe thousands of 21's getting roush blowers. I don't think that this is representative, as you don't hear from those who ride with no problems.

The issues that are described here a certainly legit, but we don't know how the installation was done for example. Could be a batch of defective fuel pumps by Ford, which happened to pass QA for NA cars but fail on SC, or whatever else. There was another thread from a guy where his mechanic forgot to install intake manifold gaskets. You can't blame the car or a kit for that :).
Very true.
It can be human error or it could parts failure/cheap materials.