Sponsored

Question for 2018 GT MT82 owners ?

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
I have a weird noise when pressing on the clutch and would like to hear from others 2018 GT MT82 owners to see if this is normal. Let’s say the car is stopped, put it in first gear and release the clutch to start moving (2-3 mph is sufficient) if I let the gas off and press on the clutch I hear a «tong-tong » noise coming from the clutch area as it disengage.

The car is new, no mods with less than 2,000 mi. This noise has been there since day one and happens on every shift regardless of the speed. I can hear it more when depressing the clutch at lower speed as the car is quieter. If i clutch in when in reverse I get the same «tong-tong » noise. Brought it to the dealer and they gave me the story that all 2018 MT82 have this noise due to the new clutch-flywheel arrangement. Just does not sound right to me...

Anybody with this noise?

Thanks for your input
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
I should add the noise is only when clutching out of a gear. In other words if I depress the clutch being in neutral there is no noise.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Is this only when you're pressing the clutch while moving, while up-shifting or pressing the clutch in 1st gear to stop while crawling in traffic? Do you hear it on normal up-shifts (if you have active and run it on quiet mode, you should be able to hear up through 4th)? Is this only in 1st gear? With the gear ratios it might just be the engine revving down fast and the gears in the transmission catching a bit. You clutch in fast or slow? Try it at a higher speed and then try clutching in at the same speed in 2nd/3rd. I'm going to wager it's just 1st. If it's not, then there might be something going on.

I can't say I have any noise when depressing the clutch and I drive in traffic with the windows down w/ low music. Only time I'll hear a click/tick/tock or what-not is when I move the shifter to one side or the other, moreso when it's from neutral to the 5-6 lane.

OP
OP

Lussier4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18MY on order
Is this only when you're pressing the clutch while moving, while up-shifting or pressing the clutch in 1st gear to stop while crawling in traffic? Do you hear it on normal up-shifts (if you have active and run it on quiet mode, you should be able to hear up through 4th)? Is this only in 1st gear? With the gear ratios it might just be the engine revving down fast and the gears in the transmission catching a bit. You clutch in fast or slow? Try it at a higher speed and then try clutching in at the same speed in 2nd/3rd. I'm going to wager it's just 1st. If it's not, then there might be something going on.

I can't say I have any noise when depressing the clutch and I drive in traffic with the windows down w/ low music. Only time I'll hear a click/tick/tock or what-not is when I move the shifter to one side or the other, moreso when it's from neutral to the 5-6 lane.
This noise occurs at the point where the clutch disengage

This noise I'm talking about occurs only when I am in gear (any one including reverse), let off the gas and press on the clutch. It happens at the point where the clutch disengage from the flywheel. It's not a noise coming from the clutch pedal but deeper like within the clutch itself. If I leave it in neutral I do not get this noise when pressing on the clutch. It doesn't matter if I am going fast or slow, clutch in fast or slow or in any drive mode I may select. Best way to hear the noise is if I am in first or reverse and let the car ride 1-2 mph without touching the gas pedal and press on the clutch. In normal driving I can hear it passing from 1-2 then it get's buried within the engine rumbling sound. Up-shifting or down-shifting is the same. Driving in heavy traffic is just annoying...

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I dont notice in noise like this at all. Im assuming id hear it in stop and go traffic jam. slow speeds and moving forward a little then depress the clutch? if so ill try harder to listen for it, but i dont notice any noise currently

pcrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have never heard a noise like that in my car.
Sponsored