Question about Car Covers

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
Hello,

Is using a cheap cover a bad idea?

I drive my car once a week, so it would not be on for long periods of time.

Also my car is parked in the garage but wanted to have some extra protection.

Thanks
Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I'm confused. You say it won't be on for long periods of time, but you only drive it once a week?
Most of the "cheap" covers will be standard covers and not custom fitted. I have a Superweave cover from California Car Cover. It is custom fit for my car, and mine does sit outside all the time. It works great. The only drawbacks I have are some minor micro scratches and because it is an extremely light fabric (parachute - like) I need to think ahead when it comes time to remove it. Also, I wipe down the entire car before putting the cover back on to try and cut down on scratches. I can deal with those, it's better than bird poo, tree sap, etc.

OP
OP
Ashiq73

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
I'm confused. You say it won't be on for long periods of time, but you only drive it once a week?
Most of the "cheap" covers will be standard covers and not custom fitted. I have a Superweave cover from California Car Cover. It is custom fit for my car, and mine does sit outside all the time. It works great. The only drawbacks I have are some minor micro scratches and because it is an extremely light fabric (parachute - like) I need to think ahead when it comes time to remove it. Also, I wipe down the entire car before putting the cover back on to try and cut down on scratches. I can deal with those, it's better than bird poo, tree sap, etc.
Thanks for the tips..

I guess having it on for 4 to 6 days at a time could be considered a long time....I meant to say it will not come on and off on a daily basis but not stay on for weeks or months at a time either.

I just read some negative stuff about car covers here and there so figured I would ask around here too and see what the opinions were.

Maybe I am just being to protective...as I said, it does stay in the garage at least.

Thanks

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Covercraft, and you can get the fitted kind they make 15 different levels of protection. Pick the one you need from dust cover to Heavy UV and Rain.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Hello,

Is using a cheap cover a bad idea?

I drive my car once a week, so it would not be on for long periods of time.

Also my car is parked in the garage but wanted to have some extra protection.

Thanks
I'm in the same situation as you. Instead of a potentially harmful car cover that might be filled with dust and dirt, I opted to buy an air compressor. Going to air blow the car before and after every drive. That should keep my washing to a bare minimum.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score