Car covers?

libtrucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP, 1995 F-250 XL
Anyone have any input on the different car covers Steeda sells? I'm in South Florida, so I'm not really worried about snow protection.

Looks like they range from about $220 up to about $550. What's the difference? And is it worth almost double the price?
Sponsored

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
Curious as well

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Anyone have any input on the different car covers Steeda sells? I'm in South Florida, so I'm not really worried about snow protection.

Looks like they range from about $220 up to about $550. What's the difference? And is it worth almost double the price?
The covers shown on the Steeda website are from CoverCraft.

https://www.steeda.com/2015-2019-mustang-car-covers

The CoverCraft website will give you differences between each version.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/shop/2020-ford-mustang/

I have 5 CoverCraft covers, three of which are the FormFit for indoor use. Very happy with the quality and how they are shaped to conform to each vehicle.

IMG-8471.jpg

IMG-8473.jpg

feb211610.jpg

feb21167.jpg

This blue version is an outdoor suitable one, again form fitting.

IMG-E1175.jpg

If you intend on using these outdoors, I would aim for the WeatherShield versions.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
This is Steeda's

IMG_0039.jpeg

This is a friend & first night he spent with his 350 LOL think is it a Ford product.
KIMG1509.JPG

Please note form fit, pretty much the standard, some do charge for mirror pockets and usually a tad higher in price.

What's the goal car cover wise ?

Satin is the softest, under the Steeda cover lives a satin cover.

A cover can put light scratches in the clear coat, much like swirl marks from polishing.

They will appear at the high points of the body. Or sharp areas as the top surface as break downwards toward the ground.

My solution was to incorporate a Satin cover.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
As suggested above - will the car be stored outside or inside or inside/outside?

If the car will be stored inside/outside, you need a car cover that is breathable but also water resistant. You don't want a cover that will trap moisture. Also if parking the car outdoors, never leave it parked on lawn, dirt or a rock driveway - all those types of driveways or storage lots trap moisture under the car, not just from rain but morning dew and humidity.

Get the right cover for your needs.

There is a difference between water repellant and water resistant. Water resistant covers are for vehicles that will be stored outside and won't let the rain or snow soak through the cover to the body. Water repellent is only if the car is moved outdoors for a brief period and only protects against light dew, very light water misting or an occasional "whoops" from a hose - but if the water is allowed to sit on the cover, it will soak through to the body.

For a vehicle that will be stored covered outside, always remove the cover every so often to allow the body to air out and to dust off any airborne particles that have accumulated from long term storage/sitting.

Read up on reviews because it's not always the most expensive covers that are the best.

I have an indoor cover for my 94 Cobra, made by Covercraft. It's very lightweight, water repellant and is a breathable material too. The material hasn't scratched the body surface in the nearly 12 years it's been stored inside after daily use retirement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
libtrucker

libtrucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP, 1995 F-250 XL
I live in South Florida so sometime it feels like we are, under, water. Ill be storing it outside, on asphalt. And I do drive the car, but I'm looking to keep it from getting spotted up from the rain, palm trees that leak sap everywhere, and to protect from the landscapers that like to cover the car in shit.

Also we have issues with old cars/trucks rotting down here, but not in the quarters and rockers like most places. We have issues with cars getting sunblasted and roofs rotting out. I know this wont happen to this car, but the sun can really do damage down here/

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I live in South Florida so sometime it feels like we are, under, water. Ill be storing it outside, on asphalt. And I do drive the car, but I'm looking to keep it from getting spotted up from the rain, palm trees that leak sap everywhere, and to protect from the landscapers that like to cover the car in shit.

Also we have issues with old cars/trucks rotting down here, but not in the quarters and rockers like most places. We have issues with cars getting sunblasted and roofs rotting out. I know this wont happen to this car, but the sun can really do damage down here/
In your specific situation, definitely look for a water resistant cover.

One more trick - some covers have eyelets built into them at the lower sections that hang down towards the ground.

Get 1 gallon milk or juice jugs, using shoe strings make a tie connection from the jug handle through the eyelet at the four covers of the car. This will weigh the cover down and keep the cover from moving from winds or storms. Some covers have a locking system, which is a cable that goes through the eyelets and has a small lock. Those are a royal PIA though then you want to air out the car or take it for a drive. Doing the juggy tip noted above, makes it simple to just untie the jugs and remove the cover.

Best of luck and let us know which cover you decide on!

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
This is a friend & first night he spent with his 350 LOL think is it a Ford product.
KIMG1509.JPG
Hahahaha, that pic of your buddy is fantastic.

I hadn't read your comment, and thought it was a wrapped up cover, and a cloth underlay to keep scratches off the vehicle.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes he is a funny guy loves his Mustang. I was really happy as hell to learn he bought it.

This is the paint protector cover under the Steeda. For satin it was cheap about 150 or so, most times they are 350 or so.
IMG_0429.jpeg

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
As suggested above - will the car be stored outside or inside or inside/outside?

If the car will be stored inside/outside, you need a car cover that is breathable but also water resistant. You don't want a cover that will trap moisture. Also if parking the car outdoors, never leave it parked on lawn, dirt or a rock driveway - all those types of driveways or storage lots trap moisture under the car, not just from rain but morning dew and humidity.

Get the right cover for your needs.

There is a difference between water repellant and water resistant. Water resistant covers are for vehicles that will be stored outside and won't let the rain or snow soak through the cover to the body. Water repellent is only if the car is moved outdoors for a brief period and only protects against light dew, very light water misting or an occasional "whoops" from a hose - but if the water is allowed to sit on the cover, it will soak through to the body.

For a vehicle that will be stored covered outside, always remove the cover every so often to allow the body to air out and to dust off any airborne particles that have accumulated from long term storage/sitting.

Read up on reviews because it's not always the most expensive covers that are the best.

I have an indoor cover for my 94 Cobra, made by Covercraft. It's very lightweight, water repellant and is a breathable material too. The material hasn't scratched the body surface in the nearly 12 years it's been stored inside after daily use retirement.
Which model did you buy? The three layer or the five layer?