Sponsored

Preloaded tune Question (SCT LIvewire TS+)

txdblh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Picked up an SCT Livewire TS+ and have uploaded the 93 octane preloaded tune.

THere were options to select a CAI while I was in there, but the intake I'm about to install was not listed- a C&L CAI- is there an option that is the "closest match"? Or do I need to get them to do a custom tune for me to download? I use a macbook so it's not super convenient to download anything through SCT

While I'm at it- do y'all just leave your tuner on the windshield all the time? 1st car I've had with one and I'm not sure how I feel about leaving it in plain sight all the time.

Appreciate the help
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Picked up an SCT Livewire TS+ and have uploaded the 93 octane preloaded tune.

THere were options to select a CAI while I was in there, but the intake I'm about to install was not listed- a C&L CAI- is there an option that is the "closest match"? Or do I need to get them to do a custom tune for me to download? I use a macbook so it's not super convenient to download anything through SCT

While I'm at it- do y'all just leave your tuner on the windshield all the time? 1st car I've had with one and I'm not sure how I feel about leaving it in plain sight all the time.

Appreciate the help
I'd never recommend using the canned provided tunes on the devices. It should really only be used as a vessel to load a custom tune and to assist with data logging. You already have the device so that's much of the expense already covered, highly recommend reaching out to one of the major tuners for a custom one (AED will do SCT, not sure if PBD or Lund support them though).

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Is there are proof the canned tune will be a problem? I have a 16 GT. I've done data logging from 3000 to 7000 rpm a bunch of times with PBD, VMP and preloaded 93 Sct. Literally every time the preloaded is fasted by just a little and Vmp slowest. 1/2 second difference. Idles the best and I like the auto shifting the best. One time I had about +1 knock on the preloaded where the others were just a couple more small + knock. Afr and spark is very close too. I hate the idea of paying for tunes but running the preloaded but it feels better. I don't see any data that says it's a danger to the motor.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Is there are proof the canned tune will be a problem?
If you like the SCT preloaded tune, run it. It will cause no damage. Most people think because they spend 500 for a tune it has to be more better.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
If you like the SCT preloaded tune, run it. It will cause no damage. Most people think because they spend 500 for a tune it has to be more better.
Yeah figured as much. Actually I expected it to be a soft tune but surprised that my datalogging was always a touch better. The big thing is my disappointment with the bought tunes transmission shift stratagy. Some harsh some soft. Odd shifting patterns. They all work fine flat out but annoying as a daily or sporty twisty driving. It's just best I go with the paddles mostly.

I didn't expect much gains from the tunes but surprised to see the graph from 3000 to 6800 for stock, preloaded and Pbd fall exactly on top of each other. Preloaded a touch faster. Vmp diverged slightly slower the whole time. I know it's not a dyno run accuracy but does show a N/A tune doesn't do much. Now time to try the truck intake soon!

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The truck intake.

If you have a 2 gen coyote, 2015 to 2017 the model year 2018 and newer truck manifold is better than the stock 2015 to 2017 5.0 manifold..

If you have a gen 3 coyote, I have not done any testing and would be surprised if it was better than the 3 gen 5.0 mani.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Yeah figured as much. Actually I expected it to be a soft tune but surprised that my datalogging was always a touch better. The big thing is my disappointment with the bought tunes transmission shift stratagy. Some harsh some soft. Odd shifting patterns. They all work fine flat out but annoying as a daily or sporty twisty driving. It's just best I go with the paddles mostly.

I didn't expect much gains from the tunes but surprised to see the graph from 3000 to 6800 for stock, preloaded and Pbd fall exactly on top of each other. Preloaded a touch faster. Vmp diverged slightly slower the whole time. I know it's not a dyno run accuracy but does show a N/A tune doesn't do much. Now time to try the truck intake soon!
Why not do some logs with preload vs aed

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Why not do some logs with preload vs aed
I don't have an AED tune to try. And with such little difference expected I don't think it's worth the cost to try AED too.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
If you have a 2 gen coyote, 2015 to 2017 the model year 2018 and newer truck manifold is better than the stock 2015 to 2017 5.0 manifold..
I have a 16. I've tried 3 different tunes and have it running about as good as it gets I guess. I'm "OK" with the torque but would certainly like more. Only options left are rear gears or the intake to try. Or both. And I don't care one bit about rpms above 6800.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
My bad. PBD
No problem. I did a bunch of data logging pretty much just for fun. I don't race so doesn't really matter if one a touch better. I tried k&n filter and my active exhaust opened and closed with all the tunes. Imported the logs into excel and charted from 3000 to 6800. On average they all worked better with the stock filter. Vmp and Pbd I used an 18 airbox tube and lid. Vmp was consistently about 2-3 tenths slower. PBD generally right on preloaded or a touch slower. PBD base was the slowest of all. Stock tune layed right on top of Pbd except one run I went over 7000 and stock fell off.

Biggest difference was the active exhaust open vs closed. All ran better. Very little low rpm loss but .5 second faster.
Sponsored