PP1 wheel as spare tire

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm looking for a new set of wheels to replace my stock PP1's, and I'm thinking about options for a spare. I was thinking staggered, but may go square. Still unsure on all that.

I know about the AA spare kit, which looks great. But maybe I could use one of my PP1's as a full size spare. I don't really use the trunk. But does the back PP1 wheel fit fine up front? Or maybe with a spacer? The goal is to have one wheel that works on any corner.

Just looking for the best option. Spare tires are okay, but I rather have a full size.
Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think I'd go with using the front as a spare if thats the route you wanna go. It'll fit front or back and since its only gonna be on for a limited time looks aren't important.

As for the staggered or squared part, squared is great if you actually have tires that can be rotated correctly. Most of the tires are directional these days and can't rotate them from side to side. But if all 4 tires are the same size you can have them removed from the wheel and rotated correctly. My car came factory with staggered wheels yet all 4 tires are the same size. Also something to consider. It'll give you brain damage trying to figure out the best route to go with this, good luck.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I put the Ford spare tire kit in my GT....fits well. Would a "full size" tire/wheel fit into the well and keep the trunk floor flat?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I put the Ford spare tire kit in my GT....fits well. Would a "full size" tire/wheel fit into the well and keep the trunk floor flat?
Nope. A good doughnut spare does though.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the GT front calipers, not the PP2 big calipers you will be fine. The AA spare makes room for the bigger brakes.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'd go with using the front as a spare if thats the route you wanna go. It'll fit front or back and since its only gonna be on for a limited time looks aren't important.

As for the staggered or squared part, squared is great if you actually have tires that can be rotated correctly. Most of the tires are directional these days and can't rotate them from side to side. But if all 4 tires are the same size you can have them removed from the wheel and rotated correctly. My car came factory with staggered wheels yet all 4 tires are the same size. Also something to consider. It'll give you brain damage trying to figure out the best route to go with this, good luck.

News flash, the staggered tire & rim pattern rotation is crossing the axles L & R for the front and the rear of the car.

The reason for rotating tires is to balance a wear pattern caused by the road surface and route driven.

Yes, most times you drive the same route, which creates a wear pattern on tires caused by the crown of the road, also the number of R & L turns made is in play.

Not rocket science, physics, aka contact pattern.

The only advantage squared has over staggered. it moves the front and rear, to the front and rear.

It compensates for the wear that the drive (rear) tire is subjected to.

Then there is the outside wear that the fronts have from cornering.

All in all, have a heavy foot rear tires wear faster. Ricky racer shooting the intersections & parking lots fronts will wear just as fast.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
News flash, the staggered tire & rim pattern rotation is crossing the axles L & R for the front and the rear of the car.

The reason for rotating tires is to balance a wear pattern caused by the road surface and route driven.

Yes, most times you drive the same route, which creates a wear pattern on tires caused by the crown of the road, also the number of R & L turns made is in play.

Not rocket science, physics, aka contact pattern.

The only advantage squared has over staggered. it moves the front and rear, to the front and rear.

It compensates for the wear that the drive (rear) tire is subjected to.

Then there is the outside wear that the fronts have from cornering.

All in all, have a heavy foot rear tires wear faster. Ricky racer shooting the intersections & parking lots fronts will wear just as fast.
"NEWS FLASH" I know all this. If you would have actually read what I wrote you would have noticed this. And you should also know that even with squared wheels you can not rotate directional tires correctly. As I stated you would have to remove the tires from the wheel and rotate them that way, assuming all the tires are the same size. Even with staggered you can use this same method to rotate tires assuming all the tires are the same size.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"NEWS FLASH" I know all this. If you would have actually read what I wrote you would have noticed this. And you should also know that even with squared wheels you can not rotate directional tires correctly. As I stated you would have to remove the tires from the wheel and rotate them that way, assuming all the tires are the same size. Even with staggered you can use this same method to rotate tires assuming all the tires are the same size.
News flash I agree you are correct directional tires cannot be rotated.
"If you would have actually read what I wrote you would have noticed this."

Never commented or implied directional tires could be rotated .

Take a pill, posting about tires mounted on staggard RIMs.

Don't know why anyone would mount and unmount a set tires on a set of staggard rims............. but then again is always one ........LMAO

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
News flash I agree you are correct directional tires cannot be rotated.
"If you would have actually read what I wrote you would have noticed this."

Never commented or implied directional tires could be rotated .

Take a pill, posting about tires mounted on staggard RIMs.

Don't know why anyone would mount and unmount a set tires on a set of staggard rims............. but then again is always one ........LMAO
Really, you don't know why???? If the tires are all the same size, as is the case with a PP2, you can pull them off and rotate them to get extra miles out of them, just like rotating a squared set. thought this would be obvious. And why do I need a pill. I just "news flashed" you like you did me. Seems you needed a pill before this started.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Really, you don't know why???? If the tires are all the same size, as is the case with a PP2, you can pull them off and rotate them to get extra miles out of them, just like rotating a squared set. thought this would be obvious. And why do I need a pill. I just "news flashed" you like you did me. Seems you needed a pill before this started.

Owning the PP2 I am completely aware of the tire size. I don't waste my time, energy, or $$ mounting and unmounting a set of tires on rims.

Every mounting and unmounting increases the chances for the rim to be scuffed or the finish damaged.

You can run the tire inside out for I care

As I posted there is always one

done

Sponsored
OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks all for the ideas. I was really looking at just the spare options.

I do like the AA kit as it lays in the spare pit and flat. And having a full size spare would sit higher in the pit. I've seen some people put form pads down to make the carpet sit flat. Or use the pit for something else and just toss the tire in the trunk.
I don't remember of offset of the PP1 rear, but it sounds like I might need a spacer. And the front fits the back.

Who knew picking a spare tire would have so many options....

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Owning the PP2 I am completely aware of the tire size. I don't waste my time, energy, or $$ mounting and unmounting a set of tires on rims.

Every mounting and unmounting increases the chances for the rim to be scuffed or the finish damaged.

You can run the tire inside out for I care

As I posted there is always one

done
damn, simple facts just send you over the edge don't they. Yes you are correct, it does increase the chances of damaging your wheels, but we are talking about methods and ways of rotating tires on squared vs staggered wheels. I never said it was the best way, just that it can be done. Even with squared they'll have to be pulled off to do a proper rotation if they are directional tires.
Sponsored