CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
It's a nightmare up here all the time. This place is packed full of senior citizens. And they like the Buick and Subaru suv cars. You ought to see them go up hills and go around bends. They have to go below speed limit to not use too much gasoline or wear out the tires. And that's in the summer. Throw in some snow flurries and holy shit!
Sponsored

OP
OP

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Doesn't matter what tires you have on your car....you will lose control of your car if you don't use your head.
I have a lot of track time in at places like Pocono, Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio. Used to do enduro karting. I don't go wild in the Mustang, yet.

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
That looks like a SC setup on the wrecked car. Maybe too much torque for tire grip? Hurts to see that picture... looks like someone had a sweet ride!

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
If you don't drive like a freaking idiot you got nothing to worry about

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Buy winter or all season tires and call it a day.

Yep. Red GT proof again, do not use the pirelli's under 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So - with all of the "sky is falling" comments about fear of driving with or on "summer" tires - WHY would Ford equip a vehicle as such when it is being sold GLOBALLY where weather conditions are susceptible to freezing temps (and/or possibility of snow)?

Has anyone thought that the legal disclaimer is there for inexperienced Mustabg owners -- even though it's addressing every owner?

Like others have said in other threads - if you're respecting the vehicle and driving it in a safe manner due to bad weather conditions, you're gonna get from A-B without issues. If you're driving it nutso-style in such conditions, the type of tire isn't going to matter at all, not even if they are "all seasons" or "winter only" tires.

Anyone who is ever owned a Mustang - regardless of year will confirm it has ALWAYS been an ass-light front-heavy car, period. Equip that with inexperienced drivers unfamiliar with the "territory" and surely the car is gonna get wrecked - tire brand and/or compound isn't going to save anyone when still trying to drive 60+ in wet/freezing/snow weather conditions as if it were 90 and sunny.

I honestly can't believe how many threads there are on this site with "panic" as to the "summer only" tires.

That wrecked GT above - of course the owner is not going to admit if he/she was going the posted speed limit (or beyond) or if he/she took an on ramp, off ramp or curve way too fast for conditions (even if they thought "they can handle it")... Sucks for what happened and at least they are safe - but for every such accident, the tire didn't cause the car to loose control. It is a driver's responsibility to maintain control of the vehicle in ANY weather element at all times.

The ass end on any Mustang, even regardless of engine type is super easy to break free from the pavement - been like that since 64! Another thing too - I don't care if you have the best of the best tires money can buy - if a car is going fast enough in wet weather, it's very easy for the tire to break traction from the pavement (even in a straight line), thus possibly resulting in koss of control.

I mean there's threads on here of guys saying they had no issues driving in snow or freezing temps with the PZeros and also comments saying no tread or tire chunking occurring - and some of the responses are those who have many accrued miles too - has anyone read those threads?

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
So - with all of the "sky is falling" comments about fear of driving with or on "summer" tires - WHY would Ford equip a vehicle as such when it is being sold GLOBALLY where weather conditions are susceptible to freezing temps (and/or possibility of snow)?
I don't really care if anyone chooses not to believe what the tire manufactures say is safe. People choose to tow 10K Lbs over tire and vehicle weight ratings all the time too. I could care less if people wreck their own toys.

The problem is that these actions endanger everyone else on the road because someone dropped 35k on a car but isn't willing to spend a couple hundred on tires. If you spin off into a guard rail who cares. If you spin off into 10 kids waiting at a bus stop how are you going to live with yourself.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Yep. Red GT proof again, do not use the pirelli's under 45 degrees.
Tires are not the factor. It's all about using your head. If he had summer tires on, he should have used his head and thought to himself...man it's really cold outside these tires have little grip...F-it I'm going to speed anyways.

This guy had 3 options:

1 - Equip with A/S or Winters
2 - Use a different car for transportation
3 - Drive with caution

He did none of those which goes back to...use your head!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The PP Pirelli's are challenging to drive in dry weather below 45 degrees, but you can still be safe if you drive sensibly. If the roads are even a small amount damp and that cold, forget it. Not all summer tires get that bad in cold weather, but these do. Michelin PSS actually worked surprisingly well in ~30 degree weather, but I only experienced that on my previous car because of unexpectedly cold mornings in Oct/early Nov of the previous few years, before I changed over to dedicated winters.

As far as equipping the PP cars with summer tires going to cold climates, you're nuts if you think Ford would put different tires on the same-option car for different destinations. The cost to house the inventory and line-side complexity for the different tires would be relatively expensive. Plus, you're buying a performance pack car...you should know that it has summer tires that are not suitable for driving safely for at least 3-4 months in many parts of the US. If you don't realize that, shame on you. A lot of buyers live in Texas, Southern Cali, Arizona, Florida where it usually stays warm enough to keep summer tires on all year.

Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP

Has anyone thought that the legal disclaimer is there for inexperienced Mustabg owners -- even though it's addressing every owner?

Like others have said in other threads - if you're respecting the vehicle and driving it in a safe manner due to bad weather conditions, you're gonna get from A-B without issues. If you're driving it nutso-style in such conditions, the type of tire isn't going to matter at all, not even if they are "all seasons" or "winter only" tires.

Anyone who is ever owned a Mustang - regardless of year will confirm it has ALWAYS been an ass-light front-heavy car, period. Equip that with inexperienced drivers unfamiliar with the "territory" and surely the car is gonna get wrecked - tire brand and/or compound isn't going to save anyone when still trying to drive 60+ in wet/freezing/snow weather conditions as if it were 90 and sunny.

I honestly can't believe how many threads there are on this site with "panic" as to the "summer only" tires.

That wrecked GT above - of course the owner is not going to admit if he/she was going the posted speed limit (or beyond) or if he/she took an on ramp, off ramp or curve way too fast for conditions (even if they thought "they can handle it")... Sucks for what happened and at least they are safe - but for every such accident, the tire didn't cause the car to loose control. It is a driver's responsibility to maintain control of the vehicle in ANY weather element at all times.

The ass end on any Mustang, even regardless of engine type is super easy to break free from the pavement - been like that since 64! Another thing too - I don't care if you have the best of the best tires money can buy - if a car is going fast enough in wet weather, it's very easy for the tire to break traction from the pavement (even in a straight line), thus possibly resulting in koss of control.

I mean there's threads on here of guys saying they had no issues driving in snow or freezing temps with the PZeros and also comments saying no tread or tire chunking occurring - and some of the responses are those who have many accrued miles too - has anyone read those threads?
Thank you! So many people want to blame tires but in reality they don't respect or have much experience behind a 400+ RWD car. I don't care what tires you have on your car. They don't say to speed in any weather condition. With some peoples thoughts about 'safety' suggests limiting a car to not go above the speed limit. I bet that would save lives at a much higher percentage than a flipping tire that only PP models have.

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Dont know why everyones manual is different from mine, but here is a cut and paste about the summer tires.

Always store your summer tires indoors at
temperatures above 20ºF (-7ºC). The
rubber compounds used in these tires lose
flexibility and may develop surface cracks
in the tread area at temperatures below
20ºF (-7ºC). If the tires have been
subjected to 20ºF (-7ºC) or less, warm
them in a heated space to at least 40ºF
(5ºC) for at least 24 hours before installing
them on a vehicle, or moving the vehicle
with the tires installed, or checking tire
inflation. Do not place tires near heaters
or heating devices used to warm the room
where the tires are stored. Do not apply
heat or blow heated air directly on the tires.
Always inspect the tires after storage
periods and before use.

Jonny50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm one of the broke folk still driving on summer tires with 0 problems at about 30deg today.

I've yet to have any tire spin on traction control come on, however I am not standing on gas pedal to accelerate, taking it easy breezy.

As stated before when these pzeros are done, I will use all season to replace.

In the mean time....

(ready for scolding)

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I had cracks appear aftet 2 days of driving in high 20's low 30's. My rear tires are already half shot so I've been tire shopping. After seeing theses cracks, I'll be buying new ones shortly.

Last edited:

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm terrified by the number of people who run summer tires in freezing/near freezing temps. Heaven forbid you ever have to stop quickly. Driving smart is all well and good, but sometimes, stuff happens and you have to brake/swerve quickly to avoid something that is entirely out of your control (deer, road conditions, other stupid drivers).

Why argue that you need the best tires for traction in the summer, but it's ok to run the wrong tires in winter? I don't even care about cracks in the tires/whatever. I care about wrecking the car and potentially other cars/people/property/etc... I was feeling the loss of traction in the mid 40s, and I don't even have a GT! Winter tires are better feeling, even in the dry, but in the snow, I'd be terrified if I still had my PZeroes or RS3s on (well, I hated the RS3s in the summer, too, but they came with the wheels...). At the very least get A/S for the temp range...
Sponsored