Power to USB connections/cig lighter when engine is off

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 ECB Manual Prem PP Nav CO "Orange Crush"
Attempted search. I failed. Bought a $44 digital GPS HUD speed gauge. The device is supposed to turn off when you turn off the car. It has a USB cable that connects to a plug that goes in the cigarette lighter. When I turn the car off and wait some minutes(4-5) the device does not turn off.
Thanks for providing with info on this. I continue to learn so much from folks on the forum. Thanks. Nick
Sponsored

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
The cigarette outlet does not turn off when you cut the car off. It does have smart discharge though and will cut off if the battery voltage drops too much.

I use it to charge my old phone that I use as my V1 radar detector user interface.

OP
OP

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
The cigarette outlet does not turn off when you cut the car off. It does have smart discharge though and will cut off if the battery voltage drops too much.

I use it to charge my old phone that I use as my V1 radar detector user interface.
Thanks. How about the other USB connections? If I can get the devices USB cord to fit in the other USB ports in my car- is that a different circuit?
I will go see what happens. Thanks again.
Oh, I really like the device. I used as free standing- takes a few minutes to get GPS signal, then is spot on. Though sometimes when stopped it will reflect a few MPH.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
The USB ports should turn off after a few seconds. I notice the light goes out on my USB about 10 seconds after I shut the car off.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
USB cuts power right after you turn off the car. The cig lighter i believe stays on for 90 minutes after the fact that you have turned off the engine.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
the cig lighter also.. shuts down once ur car is completely shut down. I use that to charge my car. and as soon as i shut my car down with 10 15 seconds the charger goes off.

Bill-O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Ruby Red Premium
I've got a dash cam plugged into the cig lighter outlet. The dash cam, i.e., cig lighter outlet, stays on for 90 minutes after I turn the ignition off. Never fails, always 90 minutes. Just check yours out and it should do likewise.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
I've got a dash cam plugged into the cig lighter outlet. The dash cam, i.e., cig lighter outlet, stays on for 90 minutes after I turn the ignition off. Just check yours out and it should do likewise.
thats interesting because i tried with my navigator and phone charger it cuts off...

OP
OP

Long Run Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I guess my question has resulted in several different outcomes concerning duration of USB/cigarette lighter power once the car is turned off. More comments welcome.
After all this, I unplugged the USB cord from the cigarette lighter gizmo. Plugged into a USB port. The device worked and turned off when I turned the car off. Reconnected to the cig lighter gizmo- now the device does not get power and turn on.
Geez, had Ford simply put a digital speed display option in the car, I would have saved $44 and some aggravation.
Keep fit my friends. Nick
Sponsored