Sponsored

Power Pack 2 Review (2016 3.15 Auto)

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Maybe I missed it and aware those Ford Racing numbers are based on 91 octane but what octane were they using?
Probably 93 since the testing was done in Florida.
Sponsored

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I have an auto as well and I'm thinking about getting this but I'm really wanting it more for smoother shifting rather then the HP gains as I hear it's much improved over stock tune. When in sport does the car still lurch and rev high when slowing down to a stop light? Also how does normal drive mode feel any major difference?

Cruizer40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
I've been thinking on this for some time I wish someone would do the same type of review on the stage 3.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
I just want to know if sports mode is changed at all on PP2. I have so much fun with sports mode as it is, that I'd love if I could still use it and get the better shifting.

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
Looks to me like the PP3 would be the way to go, the others would be meh. If you have an auto, go with a Circle D converter and then you will see performance jump a leap. Granted, if my tq converter had not failed, I wouldn't have one but knowing now, probably the first swap I'd do on an auto car. But for those with the warranty worry, the PP3 seems solid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have an auto as well and I'm thinking about getting this but I'm really wanting it more for smoother shifting rather then the HP gains as I hear it's much improved over stock tune. When in sport does the car still lurch and rev high when slowing down to a stop light? Also how does normal drive mode feel any major difference?
Good morning!

I believe this tune should have been the factory tune from the get go.

When in normal driving, it is completely normal, like you would never know you have a tune on the car. When it sport+ mode or track, the car acts like a complete raging animal. The car will hold the gears for much longer so if you're slowing down at a stop light while in sport+/track mode, yes the car will eventually downshift which you will hear and feel. I would not drive all the time in sport+ or track because it is too extra. If you want to show off the car to a buddy when he hops in, you put it in sport+. If you want to take the wife out to dinner and have a conversation while getting there, you keep it in normal.

Ive had the tune for a long time now (whenever I made this post) and it is definitely a must have if you want to maintain your warranty as I did.

I know I am supposed to do another review of my 3.15 to 3.55 swap which is still in progress (tl;dr: gears are in, loving it). I am having a shaftmaster's driveshaft put in shortly as well (supposed to be installed yesterday), which I will write about in the near future once that happens. Shaftmaster's mailed me a manual driveshaft instead of the auto which kind of lowkey ruined my day yesterday.

Reactions: S7N
OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I just want to know if sports mode is changed at all on PP2. I have so much fun with sports mode as it is, that I'd love if I could still use it and get the better shifting.
If you love sport mode with the stock tune, I couldn't see why you wouldn't love it with the PP2 tune. PP2 increases hp/torque by a good bit (lots in the midrange) and there is no sacrifice to the driveability from my perspective.

I'm assuming everyone has seen this, but just in case:

[ame]

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Looks to me like the PP3 would be the way to go, the others would be meh. If you have an auto, go with a Circle D converter and then you will see performance jump a leap. Granted, if my tq converter had not failed, I wouldn't have one but knowing now, probably the first swap I'd do on an auto car. But for those with the warranty worry, the PP3 seems solid.
For sure the PP3 with GT350 IM is solid (guessing since I don't have it) but for the price of PP2 at levittown ford, plus the very easy and cheap install from an ASE certified tech or ford dealer (I think mine was like $200 for everything) it's really a matter of value.

PP3 cost literally 3 times as much as PP2 ($600 to $1800), and the install, due to the IM, cost literally 3-4 times as much ($200 to $600-800). All in with the PP3 I would be looking at around $2,500 (roughly, I called around the numerous ASE certified shops in my area and ford dealers to find install pricing) and all in with my PP2 it was about $800 out the door.

Considering the PP2 produces more torque than the PP3 and is a huge upgrade over stock throughout the curve, and on the top end it's not a huge difference (421hp/399tq to 432/380tq) I couldn't really justify the price difference. That's not to say I'm right, just my opinion of course!

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For sure the PP3 with GT350 IM is solid (guessing since I don't have it) but for the price of PP2 at levittown ford, plus the very easy and cheap install from an ASE certified tech or ford dealer (I think mine was like $200 for everything) it's really a matter of value.

PP3 cost literally 3 times as much as PP2 ($600 to $1800), and the install, due to the IM, cost literally 3-4 times as much ($200 to $600-800). All in with the PP3 I would be looking at around $2,500 (roughly, I called around the numerous ASE certified shops in my area and ford dealers to find install pricing) and all in with my PP2 it was about $800 out the door.

Considering the PP2 produces more torque than the PP3 and is a huge upgrade over stock throughout the curve, and on the top end it's not a huge difference (421hp/399tq to 432/380tq) I couldn't really justify the price difference. That's not to say I'm right, just my opinion of course!
That's my opinion as well. Once the vehicle is out of warranty though, I would get the GT350 Intake Manifold (much cheaper for the non-power pack GT350 IM) and headers along with an aftermarket tune.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Can anyone expand on how PP2/PP3 changes the tone of the exhaust? Especially those with an aftermarket exhaust? Is it better or worse and is it noticeably louder?

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Can anyone expand on how PP2/PP3 changes the tone of the exhaust? Especially those with an aftermarket exhaust? Is it better or worse and is it noticeably louder?
I think when i first installed it, I perceived it as a bit louder/deeper. Not changed much to worry about. I run the corsa sport cb.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
OK so I went with the PP1 instead of the PP2 mainly because of the shifting in the auto in stock form. I didn't really see the need to spend $700 for 10 extra HP over PP1 anyhow. Some of you were asking how the shifting feels in the auto after the tune including myself and it's much better.

Drive feels about the same but with the added torque you will definitely feel it taking off from a stop light with moderate throttle. Now as far as sport mode it's much improved and you still get the engine braking when it's down shifting but it doesn't try to throw you through the fucking windshield anymore it's much smoother and bearable.
Sponsored