Sponsored

Possible Link between 2018 Engine Rattle and GT350's

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Hey all,

I came across a thread here on Mustang6g posted awhile back that might help put some new 2018 owners or prospective owners mind's to rest on the rattle issue (Not BBQ tick) that seems to be present on a lot of 18 GT's (including my own.) Being the Gen3 Coyote uses the spray-in liners like the GT350, I would say its probably along the same lines as what ford has outlined below about the GT350:

"OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound."

As stated above, on my 2018, the rattle does almost completely go away when the oil temp is at its normal operating temp. Hope this helps guys!

edit: Gen 3 doesn't have forged pistons
Sponsored

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hey all,

I came across a thread here on Mustang6g posted awhile back that might help put some new 2018 owners or prospective owners mind's to rest on the rattle issue (Not BBQ tick) that seems to be present on a lot of 18 GT's (including my own.) Being the Gen3 Coyote uses the spray-in liners like the GT350 and also has forged pistons, I would say its probably along the same lines as what ford has outlined below about the GT350:

"OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound."

As stated above, on my 2018, the rattle does almost completely go away when the oil temp is at its normal operating temp. Hope this helps guys!

I was under the impression the 18ā€™s didnā€™t have forged pistons:shrug:

Either way. I am personally more ā€œworriedā€ about the trans more then the engine. Iā€™ve had way ā€œnoisierā€ engines then this one in previous cars. I do have a notchy/stubborn 3rd gear

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression the 18ā€™s didnā€™t have forged pistons:shrug:

Either way. I am personally more ā€œworriedā€ about the trans more then the engine. Iā€™ve had way ā€œnoisierā€ engines then this one in previous cars. I do have a notchy/stubborn 3rd gear
oh yeah not on the pistons! Just an FYI Ford also just released a TSB for the 3rd and 4th gear shift forks last week. IIRC the part numbers for the shift forks looked to be updated.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
oh yeah not on the pistons! Just an FYI Ford also just released a TSB for the 3rd and 4th gear shift forks last week. IIRC the part numbers for the shift forks looked to be updated.
Yes, a good friend works at our local dealership in the trans line.. auto unfortunately, but was going over to talk to the guys in the ā€œheavy lineā€ that I guess deal with the manuals and see what they know, and if it is updated parts for sure getting my car in to replace with out waiting for it to break.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, a good friend works at our local dealership in the trans line.. auto unfortunately, but was going over to talk to the guys in the ā€œheavy lineā€ that I guess deal with the manuals and see what they know, and if it is updated parts for sure getting my car in to replace with out waiting for it to break.
I'm not sure how it works but with a TSB I think it has to break first. Maybe your symptoms would "qualify" for a replacement? Hoping it just turns into a recall soon.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have a 2011 F-150 5.0 with 125,000 miles. It has had an engine tick since day one. Still running strong. Knock on wood.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno why you guys are so worried, being in the automotive field for 30 years, these coyote engines are in the top 5 for shake, rattle and roll lol. Nothing to fear.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
First off there is hugh differences between 5.0 and 5.2. GT350 has forged pistons so they are noisy especially cold. Every engine I've had with forged pistons made noise. Take foam covers off fuel rails see how much you get there. Now with Direct Injection well that's more noise too.

My brothers 2011 GT engine with Forged pistons makes noise when cold in his 01 Cobra

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
bingo direct injection adds ALOT of noise. Think about it the direct injection is very similar to a diesel engine fuel system. Ever heard a quiet diesel? I dont think such thing exists!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
bingo direct injection adds ALOT of noise. Think about it the direct injection is very similar to a diesel engine fuel system. Ever heard a quiet diesel? I dont think such thing exists!
The rattle isn't the fuel system. It may be related to it in some way. I have worked with diesel and gasoline DI systems for years, and this isn't a noise I have ever heard before.

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The rattle isn't the fuel system. It may be related to it in some way. I have worked with diesel and gasoline DI systems for years, and this isn't a noise I have ever heard before.
Every engine are different in noise they make. I work of diesel engines too most are noisy especially when they cranked injection pressure up. Making 30,000 psi in 6 injectors make noise. Now common rail fuel system are somewhat more quiet. GEN 3 engine has port and DI so noise of this engine far different than before. I also work on many other engines too including natural gas engines

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I watched a YouTube video today of the new 2019 Bullit someone took delivery of. The guy doing the review was going over all the features. It had a couple hundred miles on it. He put the active exhaust in quiet mode and revved the engine. With headphones on, I could hear the low rpm knock.:doh:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
[ame]

This one?

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Every engine are different in noise they make. I work of diesel engines too most are noisy especially when they cranked injection pressure up. Making 30,000 psi in 6 injectors make noise. Now common rail fuel system are somewhat more quiet. GEN 3 engine has port and DI so noise of this engine far different than before. I also work on many other engines too including natural gas engines
The gasoline DI systems are only a couple thousand psi, and nowhere near as noisy as diesel 2000+ bar systems. I do development for diesel, and work next to the guys developing the gasoline systems. I have the rattle, and I know it isnā€™t the pump. That said, I donā€™t doubt the new system may be a contributing factor.
Sponsored