Sponsored

Please help me choose a Mustang variant!

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Thanks all for your feedback!

Is this definitely the Mustang forum?? - You sure you're not all secret BMW fanboys! ;)

But in all seriousness, please don't fall into the trap of thinking a BMW or so called premium badge means the build quality is going to be good, maybe years ago but now everything is just mass produced. That the Mustang is the best selling sports car means they must be doing something right!

So ive test drove the new shape 10 speed and the pre facelift manual.

My thoughts are, yes they don't pull as hard as the M2, but the power is instant in the Mustang and you definitely get more approving looks in the Mustang, unlike a BMW! Plus I love that V8 rumble.

The 10 speed is really not to my liking, I understand why some will get it, but it's not for me.

I couldn't tell the difference in performance/handling between the new shape and old shape - in fact the old shape felt faster but that was probably because it was a manual.

I'm not sure the improvements to the new shape are worth the extra cost. Although I would love to test drive a Mach 1.

So i've decided I'm going to find a pre-facelift, coupe, V8 with a manual gearbox.

Thanks for your time all.
LOL I'm only a 'fanboy' for Porsche and Moto Guzzi. Unashamedly so. I have a 1976 912 that I restored, and would love a new 911, but I can't bring myself to plunk down 80-100K on a car. The Bullitt was spot on for what I wanted, needed, was willing to spend and can do 90% of the work myself. Can't do that with the Euro performance cars. I plan to keep this car at least 20 years. At that time I'll be 78 and will pass it off to one of my grandkids.

I did own an E36 M3 for 20 years, and it was my benchmark for a 4 seat sports coupe with real trunk. But BMW has long lost what made the marque attractive to me.

IMO, I'd not own a Standard GT. I drove several standard and PP1, but not a PP2. Something about how the Bullitt and Mach 1 are put together and the sum of their parts that make them stand out.

Good luck in your search!
Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The Mustang GT is a car full of character a great GT car even in the UK but what it isnt is a BMW M2 both in terms of fit and finish and handling. Anyone who thinks it is is living in cooooookuuuu land. The Mustang has some strange materials and without doubt falls short of how an M2 feels inside and handles and generally if you look at the finish there are lots of very very questionable choices. I am not saying an M2 is top of its class in terms of materials because it isnt, but a mustang is if i am honest is pretty much at the bottom of the pile of cars in the same price bracket in terms of cabin and material and quality, it doesnt make them bad but we buy them for the 5.0 V8 which is unique for the money, the other bits then become a little bit more insignificant.
Once youve owned it for a bit you will pick up on things and think boy oh boy why.....the answer cost.

Love it I really do but I will never stick my head in the clouds and proclaim its something it just isnt.

People seem to love the Mustang and the positivity of people smiling when they see it, heads turning is something to behold. Its a pleasure to own but its far from perfect and not near a BMW even a m135i in terms of cabin quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jameslon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw m2
I didn't get in the Mustang and think, wow the fit and finish is so inferior to the the M2. TBH i didn't really notice as was concentrating more on the V8! I'm buying this car to enjoy its performance/V8 rather than to discern the interior quality.

As for a BMW 135i, I'd rather walk than be seen with that front grill! The engines have also lost all character with their silly pops and bangs.

The M2 is a great car, although the Mustang has more character, and the engine will likely be as reliable as a wood burning stove.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I didn't get in the Mustang and think, wow the fit and finish is so inferior to the the M2. TBH i didn't really notice as was concentrating more on the V8! I'm buying this car to enjoy its performance/V8 rather than to discern the interior quality.

As for a BMW 135i, I'd rather walk than be seen with that front grill! The engines have also lost all character with their silly pops and bangs.

The M2 is a great car, although the Mustang has more character, and the engine will likely be as reliable as a wood burning stove.
That's my point. The v8 is fantastic but can detract from it's failings
,after a while I found that certain parts of magic flat rocks production are for me frankly lazy.
When I mention the m135i i agree with you , what I am talking about is build quality and materials not character.. I will say it again the GT is fantastic buy one im just trying to be subjective.

Ozcraig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Coupe
Thanks all for your feedback!

Is this definitely the Mustang forum?? - You sure you're not all secret BMW fanboys! ;)

But in all seriousness, please don't fall into the trap of thinking a BMW or so called premium badge means the build quality is going to be good, maybe years ago but now everything is just mass produced. That the Mustang is the best selling sports car means they must be doing something right!

So ive test drove the new shape 10 speed and the pre facelift manual.

My thoughts are, yes they don't pull as hard as the M2, but the power is instant in the Mustang and you definitely get more approving looks in the Mustang, unlike a BMW! Plus I love that V8 rumble.

The 10 speed is really not to my liking, I understand why some will get it, but it's not for me.

I couldn't tell the difference in performance/handling between the new shape and old shape - in fact the old shape felt faster but that was probably because it was a manual.

I'm not sure the improvements to the new shape are worth the extra cost. Although I would love to test drive a Mach 1.

So i've decided I'm going to find a pre-facelift, coupe, V8 with a manual gearbox.

Thanks for your time all.
Good choice! I have an Aussie spec 2017 GT 6auto in Magnetic. I don't drive it hard very often and average 11 litres/100km, which is about 26mpg Imperial, or 21.4mpg US little gallon. The sound and the power are all you need to realise you have the right car. Just remember it was built in the US and was not designed by Germans who run around the Nurburgring. Enjoy!

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

If that's your opinion I can't imagine you would not be happy in the Mustang. After two years of ownership, I still grin when I start her up, and still smile when I walk out of a building and see her parked. I'm sure if I had bought a similarly priced BMW I would not care one iota about it after the first month.

Regarding what models, I'd buy the Mach1 if it was available when I ordered my 2020 Mustang, but that's only because I like to track my Mustang every two-three months. If not into that, I'd not waste my money on a Mach1, unless I had too much of said money. Also do note that apart from the extra track functionality, the Mach1 actually has less features than the regular Mustang GT; no parking sensor on the rear, no adaptive cruise control on the front, and perhaps one or two other things I do not remember either. The exhaust tail pipes seems to look a bit nicer though, and apparently sound even nicer than the Mustang GT.

Def. get Magneride. It's just really nice to switch to "track mode" when driving through curvy stretches and feel the whole suspension stiffen up a bit.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Try to spend some time with a Mustang if you have any mates who own one. Failing that, head to one of the regular meet ups to talk to owners and look at their cars. You have to understand that these are very cheap, disposable, American cars, they aren’t like the BMW you are coming from. You can forget about build quality, refinement, good dealers etc if you buy the mustang. I’ve owned mine 5 yrs since new and can only think of one good thing to say about it, and that is that the engine really is a cracker. The rest of the car literally is junk. Don’t be fooled into thinking they must be ok because a Ford Focus / fiesta etc seems fairly well built for the sort of car it is. Those are European fords and built to totally different standards to US fords.

hate to say it but your M2 is a far better car.
I totally agree. I have my second Mach 1 on order. Look, for ÂŁ60k the build quality is poor. The design and engineering is very good. I was surprised at how solid and tight my first Mach 1 rode. That said, the paint had factory imperfections, the rear calipers were all corroded, the rear seatbelt cover popped off. I still loved the car, but my Focus Estate is built far better.

And having said all that, I have never been in a car where people pull over to ask about it. And that includes riding in friends Porsches and Ferraris (okay, the Testarossa gets a lot of looks too).
Sponsored