Pins for Hood Bouncing

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm highly interested in options aside from a new hood with pins. I want the cervini grills for my car, but hood movement is a real concern due to changing the aero. I'm starting to think I'll have no choice but to get a hood one day if I want new grills
Sponsored

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm highly interested in options aside from a new hood with pins. I want the cervini grills for my car, but hood movement is a real concern due to changing the aero. I'm starting to think I'll have no choice but to get a hood one day if I want new grills
I ordered the hood struts, so once they are in I will let you know.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Expanding the existing vents in the hood helps with the hood flex...though I get some at speed when a big truck passes the opposite direction. Also you can adjust your hood bumpers some as well

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Any updates on this?

Sponsored

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
I will hit 70 between Dayton and Columbus this weekend and let you know the results. Its straight, flat and lots of crosswind.
Great Example, Right between London & Plain City my Hood would lift. I finally dialed in my hood bumpers relative to where they are flush with the body panels, and solved the hood lift when the wind caught the edge. Bernoulli was definitely on to something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I have a set on the way, too. Will post update once installed.

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I feel like I am not aware of my hood moving as much as before. I really need a sunny day on the highway to safely monitor it.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Mine bounces quite a bit. I have the redline hood struts but they make no difference. I've heard people say that they've adjusted the rubber stoppers and that's made an improvement through. Been meaning to do this myself but keep forgetting.

Regarding the hood pins, personally, I'd be up for a discrete option, but would advise against doing anything to the hood that would give Ford a reason to invalidate a warranty claim. After 3 years, I have the notorious Mustang hood corrosion. Thankfully, Ford are replacing under the anti-corrosion warranty. I imagine though, that if the hood had been molested in any way, they'd refuse the claim.

Sponsored

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
As someone right above posted, get some aerocatch latches. Pain to install, but definitely work. Will eliminate bouncing, and DEFINITELY ensure that your hood is secured. I have an RTR grill (aka more high-flow than stock) and a carbon-fiber hood. I only drove once on the highway without any hood-latches, as that was a scary enough experience to make me realize that I definitely needed them with my new hood. I don't remember having issue with my OEM hood, but if you are, just buy some of those and it will eliminate the problem, OR at least leave you with peace of mind that there is no way your hood will come flying up at ANY speed (that you will feasibly be able to reach).

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I like these better than the Aerocatches.
https://www.quik-latch.com/
I can understand. Definitely less prominently featured. My main reason for going with aerocatches instead of those is because:
A) The Aerocatches are far more secure (you essentially slide a metal bolt through a metal "catch" when you latch them down.
B) With the Aerocatches, you KNOW when they are not latched (as the lever sticks up, which is easily visible from the driver's seat). With the push/ring latches, you could easily forget to latch them, and be none the wiser until it's too late. That said, if you are using your stock hood and stock hood latch, chances are this is a non-issue.

But I completely understand not wanting to cut a teardrop shaped hole in your hood, especially when you can simply drill a hole in order to fit the push-pin kind of latches. My ONLY concern is that I don't know if those kinds will solve your issue. They very well may, I just don't know how much "give" they have once latched (ie room for the latch to move). I will say that the aerocatches definitely have no give once latched. Just my $.02.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
That said, if you are using your stock hood and stock hood latch, chances are this is a non-issue.
That would be my guess.
But I completely understand not wanting to cut a teardrop shaped hole in your hood, especially when you can simply drill a hole in order to fit the push-pin kind of latches. My ONLY concern is that I don't know if those kinds will solve your issue.
And that's why I'm not willing to act on my guess.

JackImpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am running stock hood and stock latch but it certainly moved my first trip home on the highway. I do think it is better now with the struts, probably putting a little extra tension on.

I also am having my hood swapped for corrosion.
Sponsored