Sponsored

Paxton vs Whipple for hot climate?

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I live in the hottest place on Earth. Arizona. Would it be more heat (heatsoak) friendly to go with a centrifugal vs roots style due to warm temperatures? I'm thinking a Whipple or KB style roots blower may not cool as well as a centrifugal style. Enough to make a difference? I'd prefer not to need aftermarket fans to get proper cooling. I'm sure I'd do the 170* thermostat no matter which system I ultimately go with. Thanks.
Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
It gets pretty warm here in NC but nowhere near as bad as Arizona I'm sure, so I can't really comment. Centrifugal's will run cooler than a positive displacement blower like the Whipple or Kenne Bell.
But I wouldn't let that sway you from buying one. Just find the power curve you'd rather have and go that route.
Also, Whipple/Kenne Bell are Screw-type blowers, roots are a little less efficient than the twin-screw.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
It gets pretty warm here in NC but nowhere near as bad as Arizona I'm sure, so I can't really comment. Centrifugal's will run cooler than a positive displacement blower like the Whipple or Kenne Bell.
But I wouldn't let that sway you from buying one. Just find the power curve you'd rather have and go that route.
Also, Whipple/Kenne Bell are Screw-type blowers, roots are a little less efficient than the twin-screw.
all of the blowers will do a pretty good job as efficient as they are.

feel free to give us a ring and we can go over your goals / driving style / etc.. and put something together for you

beef
513-478-1965

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
If you are worried about iats then I won't recommend a Whipple. Mine get to 140 pretty easy

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
If you are worried about iats then I won't recommend a Whipple. Mine get to 140 pretty easy
Did you get the heat exchanger fans?

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Yep have the fans. Doesn't matter once it's over 90 degrees. If you don't go to the track much then it would be much of an issue. Sitting in the staging lanes gets really hot and seems to mess with the power until you get moving. At least on my car. But I always seems to have bugs that no one else has so take it for what's it's worth.

Yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am running paxton in AZ. Ive ran 9.88@140 1/4 mile and 173.8 .8 1/2 mile in 95 F. BTW its my DD. I think centri blowers is the way to go in AZ.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Yep have the fans. Doesn't matter once it's over 90 degrees. If you don't go to the track much then it would be much of an issue. Sitting in the staging lanes gets really hot and seems to mess with the power until you get moving. At least on my car. But I always seems to have bugs that no one else has so take it for what's it's worth.
Interesting... I've been stuck on the interstate in high 90* temps and my iats never got over 120. Never seen them get higher than that. They dropped instantly once I got moving too.

I've been thoroughly impressed with how well the heat exchanger (with fans) on the Whipple works.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
This is one of the reasons I went with a Procharger after being certain I wanted a whipple for a long time. In south Florida I still see 2-3*f above ambient up to 85*F so far.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
This is one of the reasons I went with a Procharger after being certain I wanted a whipple for a long time. In south Florida I still see 2-3*f above ambient up to 85*F so far.
There is some miss information here coupled with miss information about IAT1 at the MAF pre compressor and IAT2 post compressor. Firstly there will always be a difference in the way that a centi and a twin screw report IAT's. Centi unit compress air before the inlet so the MAF where IAT1 would be sampled with a twin screw is now effectively post compressor IAT2 now.

Again twin screws since they mount on the motor draw air from the inlet and MAF where the IAT1 sensor is located and twin screw setups always add another sensor in the manifold port after compressor to sample true post compressor (heated air).

Rockstang is referring to 140 degree temps which are being displayed and read from the dash panel. This is inlet air temps at the MAF IAT1 not after compressor. The difference here is that inlet air temps suck air form the whipple air box which is open on the back side and suck hot air from the engine bay, so when stopped or moving slow you will see this go up fast and 140 is hard to get to considering engine bay heat is over 200 F. Now the real important reading on a twin screw setup is IAT2 which again is after the Supercharger and has been intercooled, this in the Whipple setup is always way less when sitting still and engine bay heat is hitting the inlet IAT1 hard sensor with heat.

I have a dedicated IAT2 sensor I can log that is very accurate and of course we all have the IAT1 inlet air that's displayed on the center dash. The difference I've found between the 2 readings is affected by a couple different factors and I see often miss understood.

IAT1 (inlet air) sampled at the MAF

1. Is only inlet pre compressor with twin screw setups, as centi's compress before it.

2. Is affect greatly by air moviment and engine bay heat, so when on the Hwy it will be near 4-5 degrees above ambient but when idling and traffic will rocket to 70 above ambient.

3. Is not as important as IAT2 which is post compressor and intercooler, as the intercooler scrubs off a lot of that heat and does not swing as drastically.

4. Air box design and cold air location greatly effects AIT1 on twin screw setups.

IAT2 (post compressor and intercooled) twin screw setups.

1. Does not have a source of display for this sensor to be seen. One must setup a dedicated sensor to be able to see this. I have done this and can see it.

2. Is the most important reading as it's the final and actual air temp the combustion chamber sees. The computer will use this reading mainly in a 3D Map to adjust timing.

3. On a twin screw setup does not fluctuate widely like the IAT1 reading as the intercooler scrubs the heat and is much more stabile. Will often rise slowly when when throttle is closed (bypass valve open condition) or idle and cruising, but will immediately reduce when throttle open (bypass closes) due to air movement.

Sponsored

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Thanks Roh92cp. I was going to order a Whipple today but got discouraged when I read about the heat issues (Florida). Unfortunately, Whipple doesn't have dual fans for my set up (Boss 302) so I'll have to fab something up.

5.O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Temperature where I live easily exceeds 120f during the summer.

Don't know how the whipple gonna handle that heat but I guess we'll see soon

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Heat soak is inevitable with boosted cars. Despite it all, even turbo/centri cars experience heat soak. I truly believe you should be more considerate of your goals/power/torque curves than anything. Boosted cars are inherently always fighting heat. However, there are plenty of ways to fight it.

Enclosed air boxes that draw thru the grill and avoid under hood heat.
Lower T-Stat temp
Larger radiator
Roush vents w/ cut outs to ventilate the engine bay
Grill delete
Coolant bypass mod
The list goes on..

One thing I noticed from some of the cars on here that battle high IAT's is that they aren't PP cars. The cooling capabilities of the PP vs Non are pretty substantial. Especially when you observe the radiator by itself.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Never heard of anyone with either having issues on the street or even a drag strip down here in Georgia. On a road course... well... different story. I'd do a Paxton for that personally, but I'd also end up in a wall.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
There is some miss information here coupled with miss information about IAT1 at the MAF pre compressor and IAT2 post compressor. Firstly there will always be a difference in the way that a centi and a twin screw report IAT's. Centi unit compress air before the inlet so the MAF where IAT1 would be sampled with a twin screw is now effectively post compressor IAT2 now.

Again twin screws since they mount on the motor draw air from the inlet and MAF where the IAT1 sensor is located and twin screw setups always add another sensor in the manifold port after compressor to sample true post compressor (heated air).

Rockstang is referring to 140 degree temps which are being displayed and read from the dash panel. This is inlet air temps at the MAF IAT1 not after compressor. The difference here is that inlet air temps suck air form the whipple air box which is open on the back side and suck hot air from the engine bay, so when stopped or moving slow you will see this go up fast and 140 is hard to get to considering engine bay heat is over 200 F. Now the real important reading on a twin screw setup is IAT2 which again is after the Supercharger and has been intercooled, this in the Whipple setup is always way less when sitting still and engine bay heat is hitting the inlet IAT1 hard sensor with heat.

I have a dedicated IAT2 sensor I can log that is very accurate and of course we all have the IAT1 inlet air that's displayed on the center dash. The difference I've found between the 2 readings is affected by a couple different factors and I see often miss understood.

IAT1 (inlet air) sampled at the MAF

1. Is only inlet pre compressor with twin screw setups, as centi's compress before it.

2. Is affect greatly by air moviment and engine bay heat, so when on the Hwy it will be near 4-5 degrees above ambient but when idling and traffic will rocket to 70 above ambient.

3. Is not as important as IAT2 which is post compressor and intercooler, as the intercooler scrubs off a lot of that heat and does not swing as drastically.

4. Air box design and cold air location greatly effects AIT1 on twin screw setups.

IAT2 (post compressor and intercooled) twin screw setups.

1. Does not have a source of display for this sensor to be seen. One must setup a dedicated sensor to be able to see this. I have done this and can see it.

2. Is the most important reading as it's the final and actual air temp the combustion chamber sees. The computer will use this reading mainly in a 3D Map to adjust timing.

3. On a twin screw setup does not fluctuate widely like the IAT1 reading as the intercooler scrubs the heat and is much more stabile. Will often rise slowly when when throttle is closed (bypass valve open condition) or idle and cruising, but will immediately reduce when throttle open (bypass closes) due to air movement.
Where's the misinformation in my statement?
Sponsored