Painting top of shift knob

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I really like the feel of the stock shifter on my MT Mustang, but I've been considering painting the fill inside the chrome trim to match my car's color scheme: Kona blue with bright green stripes. I was thinking of painting the center part blue with the shift pattern in matching green.

Has anyone done similar on these forums? If so, what kind of paint did you use and how difficult was it to do properly? I was thinking enamel model car style paint or a paint marker could work for both. For the shift pattern, I would use the thinnest tip paint marker possible of course.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I did mine about four years ago, using the OEM Ford paint pen for my color code (PQ - Race Red). I removed the knob, washed the plastic part with Dawn, dried it well, then just applied the paint with the pen side of the touch up applicator. The pen is just about the perfect size to get the paint into the relief lines. I'd say it took me all of three minutes to do. I did not use any sort of clear coat.

Here's a close up picture of my shift knob. There's a little wear, but again, this is about four years old, but it's held up pretty well. I'm going to replace mine with a cueball knob soon, so I won't redo this...

JR
IMG_20200420_095619.jpg

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I did mine about four years ago, using the OEM Ford paint pen for my color code (PQ - Race Red). I removed the knob, washed the plastic part with Dawn, dried it well, then just applied the paint with the pen side of the touch up applicator. The pen is just about the perfect size to get the paint into the relief lines. I'd say it took me all of three minutes to do. I did not use any sort of clear coat.

Here's a close up picture of my shift knob. There's a little wear, but again, this is about four years old, but it's held up pretty well. I'm going to replace mine with a cueball knob soon, so I won't redo this...

JR
IMG_20200420_095619.jpg
Looks great! Do you think the same method would work for the surrounding part of the shift pattern? Maybe using a thicker touch up pen, if it's available.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! Do you think the same method would work for the surrounding part of the shift pattern? Maybe using a thicker touch up pen, if it's available.
I think so, but I didn't specifically try that. I assume you're talking about the bright work that separates the black from the gray field? If you were planning to do that, I'd get some good masking tape and go to town with that.

JR

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did something similar to a gt350 knob I bought. The paint sidle last very long before it started coming off. I used a small model paint brush and some Testor’s paint.

0E853DCD-5762-4330-B4EC-48473CC64585.jpeg

The paint pen idea sounds and looks like it worked well. I may try that

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I think so, but I didn't specifically try that. I assume you're talking about the bright work that separates the black from the gray field? If you were planning to do that, I'd get some good masking tape and go to town with that.

JR
Actually I'm referring to the surface surrounding the shift pattern. I'd be leaving the chrome trim intact and taped off as I go. My only concern with using a paint pen on that section is having a thick enough pen to do wide strokes vs having to scribble it all in with a thin tipped pen.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I'm referring to the surface surrounding the shift pattern. I'd be leaving the chrome trim intact and taped off as I go. My only concern with using a paint pen on that section is having a thick enough pen to do wide strokes vs having to scribble it all in with a thin tipped pen.
You might want to spray that area with a quality automotive paint, so it self-levels. Do a couple light coats, then apply your coloring on the relief areas, then apply a couple coats of gloss clear coat. I definitely wouldn't use a brush on the large flat part.

JR

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
You might want to spray that area with a quality automotive paint, so it self-levels. Do a couple light coats, then apply your coloring on the relief areas, then apply a couple coats of gloss clear coat. I definitely wouldn't use a brush on the large flat part.

JR
Exactly what I was thinking. Spray the main area with auto paint, dry that, do the shift pattern with the pen, dry that, clear coat spray at the end.
Sponsored