Sponsored

Paint shop for hood corrosion - 757 area

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
So I have a pretty bad case of the dreaded hood corrosion. Yes I know that I should just buy a new hood, but I’m considering having a shop just paint the factory hood and see if it comes back.

in any case, if I buy a new hood I’ll need to have it painted. Any good paint shops in the 757 tidewater area?
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
So I have a pretty bad case of the dreaded hood corrosion. Yes I know that I should just buy a new hood, but I’m considering having a shop just paint the factory hood and see if it comes back.

in any case, if I buy a new hood I’ll need to have it painted. Any good paint shops in the 757 tidewater area?
I would look at Midway Mustang or Parts Farm and see what they have available. I’m sure it will come out better than a new hood+ paint. What color?

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What color?
The best color. Magnetic!

I’ll check them out. This has been so frustrating. It’s easy to get a Cervini, but I really just don’t trust fiberglass. And I’m damn pissed at needing to drop $2k or more on this boondoggle. Sigh.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
The best color. Magnetic!

I’ll check them out. This has been so frustrating. It’s easy to get a Cervini, but I really just don’t trust fiberglass. And I’m damn pissed at needing to drop $2k or more on this boondoggle. Sigh.
I have magnetic also. I’ve been looking for a spare hood. I tend to see a lot of FB so my advice is save your money and buy off of someone else.

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have magnetic also. I’ve been looking for a spare hood.
I noticed the color in your profile photo. So why are you looking for a spare hood? Also corrosion?

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I noticed the color in your profile photo. So why are you looking for a spare hood? Also corrosion?
Lol I figured. I have a 17 so I don’t have those problems as it was very common in the 2015-16. I have been looking for an ecoboost hood since it doesn’t have vents . I would like to do a Mustang GT4 hood vent set up. Plus since I track my car it’s always good to have spare body panels.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Also there is a place near where I work leecparts.com They part out a lot of mustangs. If you monitor their site and a hood comes up you can let me know so I can look at it in person and possibly pick it up for you. I grew up in Newport News so it’ll give me a reason to visit some friends.

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was very much thinking it'd be cool to do an EcoBoost hood with no vents and put the GT500 vent on there. I just can't stand the idea of fiberglass or aftermarket. The factory hoods have perfect fitment, or as perfect as I'd hope for on this kind of vehicle. Freaking corrosion. Thanks again for the ideas and help

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I was very much thinking it'd be cool to do an EcoBoost hood with no vents and put the GT500 vent on there. I just can't stand the idea of fiberglass or aftermarket. The factory hoods have perfect fitment, or as perfect as I'd hope for on this kind of vehicle. Freaking corrosion. Thanks again for the ideas and help
My thinking too. I posted a FB WTT ad today.
See also my post about GT500 hood options.

OP
OP
ConspicuousConsumption

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Performance sells a carbon fiber vent. It’s pricey but looks nice and it’s Ford.
Do you know of a local painter that you’d trust? Assuming you’re in the tidewater area

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am in Indy. There are a couple painters that I think could give satisfactory results.

All the online product photos show beautiful finished edges around the vent. This is for turn-key hoods of course. If I do my own cutting, won't the edges look hideous?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
All the online product photos show beautiful finished edges around the vent. This is for turn-key hoods of course. If I do my own cutting, won't the edges look hideous?
No because the cuts are two rectangles. The border of the vent will sit on top. I’ve see your work and I’m sure it’ll end up very clean. You have a rare color so finding a hood would be a challenge

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
ohhhh sorry for the confusion. Then yea I believe you are right.