Sponsored

Paint care on a rainy day

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
I'm wondering what you guys do, or what you should and shouldn't do after driving in the rain and parking your car in the garage.

Should you wipe it dry with a microfibre cloth? Give it a wash? Let it dry on it's own?

What's recommended in this scenario to protect the paint?
Sponsored

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
I wouldn't just wipe it down with a Microfibre towel on its own because of grit and crap the car has picked up from the road. Best using some kind of detail spray or waterless wash for lubricity, just moving the towel in one direction with each wipe and flipping to a clean side for the next panel/s

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Snow foam, 2 bucket wash, microfibre dry in the morning , is what I do.

I never wipe the paint ( I do also have Opticoat Pro X 2 ).

Mustang-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lahiru
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If the car isnt too filthy I use a waterless detail spray + microfibre towels to wipe the front and back, and occasionally the fenders. Really depends how dirty it is.

I definitely wouldnt wipe it dry without using a detail spray, and good quality microfiber cloths.

white880

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shelby super snake 2017
I will be honest I won't drive my car if it is going to rain. Glad I don't live in Melbourne as it would never leave the garage

Sponsored

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
And what sort of 'detail spray ' r u guys using???

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
OP
OP
w0rt3x

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses! It's not that dirty and that's what I was thinking - quick snowfoam + 2 bucket in the morning.

I was worried for microscratches if wiping it dry...

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I use Concours Nova Jet from Waxit.
Nova Jet is an amazing temporary sealant and crazy gloss/depth enhancer, I can't recommend it highly enough! But it's a very expensive product to use as a waterless wash considering the tiny amount you actually need to use to get an amazing result.

As a last resort if actually doing a proper wash is not an option I use CarPro Ech2o for spot cleaning/waterless washing as it's specifically designed to be either a quick detailer or a waterless wash depending on how you dilute it. It has sio2 in it so it can also be used as a temporary sealant and adds a bit of gloss but not as crazy as Nova Jet but the main thing is it also has properties that will lift and suspend dirt which will minimise scratching/marring of the paint. You can also drown the car in it to ensure you have enough lubricity and it won't cost the earth.

I was worried for microscratches if wiping it dry...
If you have to do spot cleaning never wipe a dirty car dry, plain water or better yet some car wash on a microfibre is better than nothing or ideally use specific waterless wash cleaners that will suspend/trap dirt and contaminents. Fold your microfibre cloth twice and at the bare minimum always use a clean side of the cloth after each panel, and Never Ever wipe in circular motions when touching the car!

OP
OP
w0rt3x

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have to do spot cleaning never wipe a dirty car dry, plain water or better yet some car wash on a microfibre is better than nothing or ideally use specific waterless wash cleaners that will suspend/trap dirt and contaminents. Fold your microfibre cloth twice and at the bare minimum always use a clean side of the cloth after each panel, and Never Ever wipe in circular motions when touching the car!
I've been doing that for a while now, couldn't agree more!
Sponsored