Paddle shifters

Tcnarber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium, Black Betty
....OK after much angst and anticipation. I have an estimated delivery date of 11/14. Concerning th paddle shifters, (actually thought about the manual, but thought this is going to be my only mustang. And working a clutch as I get older didn't appeal to me.) Someone explain the paddles, and how they work? I know basics, but looking for a little more detail, like if it is in Automatic mode, will working the paddles hurt anything...any info please.
Sponsored

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
I am also considering an automatic. I would like to add to Tcnarber's questions. Just how responsive are they? Is there a lot of delay from when you hit them to when they shift? I would really like to hear from owners about their experience using them.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
We have paddle shifters on our Jeep Grand Cherokee and I had them also on my SMART car CDi. How they work. You can take over the shifting from the automatic with touching one of this paddle shifters and drive "manual", shifting as you like. Right paddle is for UP-shifting, left paddle for DOWN-shifting. If you stop on a traffic light, the gear gets in the lowest gear if you forget to down shift. But if you start driving again, do not forget to shift UP. It actually works really nice like a STANDARD transmission. That's why I got it too.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove an auto EB the other day. The paddles are made of plastic: pull the left to downshift and the right to upshift.

You pull the lever down to S to keep it in "manumatic" mode, although it looks like you can use them to temporarily override the shift behavior while it's still in D.

Shifts are okay in their response time; nothing stellar, but not too slow. It definitely seems to hesitate if you do a WOT run, lift off, then upshift. Would like a little more seat time to confirm if it does shift up faster under throttle. Downshifts are pretty smooth.

It was more fun to drive the EB in manual mode. When I left the car in its auto shift setting while in "track" mode, the trans behavior is arguably a little too aggressive for the engine's power curve. It would hold onto those lower gears for dear life and it felt like I was out of the power band. While in manual, I was constantly keeping the engine around 3000-5000 where my butt dyno was happiest.

Based on other modern autos I've driven, I'd give this one a 7 out of 10.
+multiple shift modes with noticeable differences
+well-matched downshifts
+/- shift response is okay
-paddle material is cheap
-no column mounted shifter
-it could use additional gears

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I drove an auto today. Details later I'm too busy right now.

Sponsored

Rob9331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 335i xdrive coupe
I just drove an auto EB the other day. The paddles are made of plastic: pull the left to downshift and the right to upshift.

You pull the lever down to S to keep it in "manumatic" mode, although it looks like you can use them to temporarily override the shift behavior while it's still in D.

Shifts are okay in their response time; nothing stellar, but not too slow. It definitely seems to hesitate if you do a WOT run, lift off, then upshift. Would like a little more seat time to confirm if it does shift up faster under throttle. Downshifts are pretty smooth.

It was more fun to drive the EB in manual mode. When I left the car in its auto shift setting while in "track" mode, the trans behavior is arguably a little too aggressive for the engine's power curve. It would hold onto those lower gears for dear life and it felt like I was out of the power band. While in manual, I was constantly keeping the engine around 3000-5000 where my butt dyno was happiest.

Based on other modern autos I've driven, I'd give this one a 7 out of 10.
+multiple shift modes with noticeable differences
+well-matched downshifts
+/- shift response is okay
-paddle material is cheap
-no column mounted shifter
-it could use additional gears
Have you driven the 335i with auto? is the mustang better if you have?

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like Sean said if you use them when you're in D they'll temporarily override the transmission then go back to normal automatic.

If you use them when you're in S then it will stay in manual mode until you shift back to D.

btw if you put the shiftef in S without pressing the paddle shifters the transmission goes into Sport-mode which is still fully automatic.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Have you driven the 335i with auto? is the mustang better if you have?
Depends on which 335i you're talking about.

My 335i has paddles, but I'm also driving driving an E92 with a ZF 6-speed that came out in 2006. I'd say that the S550's 6-speed is better in the high priority aspects like shift response and shift speed, but that's not saying too much when you stack it up against modern autos that have come out in the past few years.

It could use improvements, but some of it is probably going to remain budget-constrained. The paddle actuation is more of a button than anything; I'd prefer a hinged paddle with some travel and a positive thunk. Plastic paddles are common in all but some select OEMs, so it's a minor complaint I can't justify, but it would be nice if they were some kind alloy instead. It also needs a column shifter.

Compared to the new 335i's ZF 8 speed? Different class. That thing responds to shift inputs immediately, rips off shifts like a dual clutch box (accompanied with a burp on upshifts and burble on downshifts during the overrun cycle), can stack shift commands, and simply has more gears.

If I was planning on an auto S550, I would honestly hold out for that wild card that's been reported every blue moon. Whether it's a rumored 8/9/10 speed, it has plenty of room for improvement.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You were kidding to see who would pick up on that right?
I didn't want to edit it because it'd show that telltale sign beneath the post, but yeah... console shifter. :headbonk:

And I won't redact on that "needs moar gears" comment... In a firm believer that modern boxes can pull the extra cogs off if done properly.

Sponsored

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I was very happy with the GT-Auto I drove today.

Only drove in Sport+ Mode & Sport Steering.

Like what was said up above, if you leave it in 'S' + don't touch the paddle's, it does the shifting for ya. If you take control, shift before moving or while moving, it holds the gear like a manual. I noticed on strong acceleration the gears seemed to bang with a slight thud. Shifts are about 1/2-1 second delay, on par with a manual, IMO.

I like the rev matching and should sound better with an exhaust upgrade, IMO.

Drove it in 'D', well I'll never use it, unless I'm on a long trip.

Been driving an Accord T_O_L Coupe with paddle shift for over a year now, very happy with it as well, the Mustang was slightly faster shifting/responding than my Accord, the paddles feel good to my fingers in the Mustang. I don't understand why some folks have been down on plastic??? I've seen somewhere that you can replace paddles with fancy metal, if one desires (More Weight:D)

Glad my car on order has an Auto...Yes, I've driven a manual GT-PP as well, both are great-->Flip a Coin if your on the fence and don't plan on Tracking...My last Mustang was a 12-Boss, loads of fun but work in city traffic and after a year with my paddle shift accord, I think I'll never own another manual.

I'm sure I can have fun at the track with the slush-box-->:thumbsup:

Rob9331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 335i xdrive coupe
Depends on which 335i you're talking about.

My 335i has paddles, but I'm also driving driving an E92 with a ZF 6-speed that came out in 2006. I'd say that the S550's 6-speed is better in the high priority aspects like shift response and shift speed, but that's not saying too much when you stack it up against modern autos that have come out in the past few years.

It could use improvements, but some of it is probably going to remain budget-constrained. The paddle actuation is more of a button than anything; I'd prefer a hinged paddle with some travel and a positive thunk. Plastic paddles are common in all but some select OEMs, so it's a minor complaint I can't justify, but it would be nice if they were some kind alloy instead. It also needs a column shifter.

Compared to the new 335i's ZF 8 speed? Different class. That thing responds to shift inputs immediately, rips off shifts like a dual clutch box (accompanied with a burp on upshifts and burble on downshifts during the overrun cycle), can stack shift commands, and simply has more gears.

If I was planning on an auto S550, I would honestly hold out for that wild card that's been reported every blue moon. Whether it's a rumored 8/9/10 speed, it has plenty of room for improvement.
I have the 2011 ZF don't think theres a difference between yours and mine. Reason I ask is because I read somewhere the Mustang auto is slow to downshift and mine feels more instant compared to my old 528i.
Sponsored