Sponsored

P0128 and Reische 170 question

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi everyone. I have an issue where the P0128 code showed up the other day. I had noticed my coolant temps were not getting to the normal range after 20 minutes of driving. This occurred in 10 to 20 degrees of outside temp.

I also have a Lund tune and I was using a file that uses their default fan temp settings. I also have a file for stock fan settings. I ordered a replacement Reische as I figured it was partially stuck open as CHTs would only get to 165 tops and coolant about 8-10 degrees lower. I verified the fans are working properly and are not running all the time.

After uploading the file with the stock temp settings version, everything went back to normal. Is it unusual for a t stat to stick open or partially open then go back to operating properly? The original t-stat has been installed for over a year but I do not recall driving it in the teens of outside temp. I greatly appreciate any insight.
Sponsored

sstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 J1955
For whatever its worth, the first few tunes that Lund sent me had the same fan issue. They corrected something after maybe the fourth back-and-forth of tune/datalogging. Never was able to figure it out, but the final tune they sent me changed only the fans from the prior tune. Seems to me its a tuning thing.

OP
OP
sloppymax

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Found the issue in my case. The o ring had partially separated so that is why it worked sometimes and not others. I found the warning on the Reische website but I wanted to post in the event something similar happens to someone else.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Found the issue in my case. The o ring had partially separated so that is why it worked sometimes and not others. I found the warning on the Reische website but I wanted to post in the event something similar happens to someone else.
The o-ring separating was an issue with older reische stats. The newer ones are based off the oem stat and use an oem o-ring instead of the bonded to the stat o-ring.

IIRC the old stats haven't been made for 2+ years by reische. If you get one like this send it back and ask for the new model.

OP
OP
sloppymax

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Gotcha. I was aware there was a second generation but I was unsure what the difference(s) was. The timing would match up as I installed mine somewhere around two years ago and must got gotten a first generation. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just fought this same thing a few weeks ago. Car wouldn't heat up and every time I got into the throttle the CHT'S would drop huge. Pulled out the t-stat and the gasket/ring was pulled away from the t-stat quite a bit. I wasn't sure if that was 100% of the problem, but reading the posts here makes sense.

Side note, I went to my dealer to buy a stock one to get me by (truck was in the shop) and they didn't have any in stock. Drove around place to place and nobody had one. I ended up w/ a cheap one from autozone and w that thing in I couldn't get my CHT's lower than 235-240 (I'm boosted). What a mess. The new 170 I ordered came with a stock style O-ring, works much better it seems. All went back to normal just in time for the temps to be too low to drive it hah.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just fought this same thing a few weeks ago. Car wouldn't heat up and every time I got into the throttle the CHT'S would drop huge. Pulled out the t-stat and the gasket/ring was pulled away from the t-stat quite a bit. I wasn't sure if that was 100% of the problem, but reading the posts here makes sense.

Side note, I went to my dealer to buy a stock one to get me by (truck was in the shop) and they didn't have any in stock. Drove around place to place and nobody had one. I ended up w/ a cheap one from autozone and w that thing in I couldn't get my CHT's lower than 235-240 (I'm boosted). What a mess. The new 170 I ordered came with a stock style O-ring, works much better it seems. All went back to normal just in time for the temps to be too low to drive it hah.
To confirm, are you supposed to use the o ring that comes with the new R. 170? Or did you reuse the existing stock oring like they had you do with the SC install?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
To confirm, are you supposed to use the o ring that comes with the new R. 170? Or did you reuse the existing stock oring like they had you do with the SC install?
The stock O-ring and the one that comes with the reische are the same one. The reische is a stock stat core that is modified.

Throw the old one away and use the new one when installing the stat.

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went through two of the 170s. the first one had a mating surface (o-ring) molded into it. The second one had a stock-like O-ring.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I went through two of the 170s. the first one had a mating surface (o-ring) molded into it. The second one had a stock-like O-ring.
The ones with the o-ring moulded are the v1 stats.

The stock of those If you purchased one is at least 2 years old or more. They had the issue of the o-ring separating which is why they came out with the V2.

The v2 have been available for the same time or more and has the separate oring - the same as stock

Sponsored

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The ones with the o-ring moulded are the v1 stats.

The stock of those If you purchased one is at least 2 years old or more. They had the issue of the o-ring separating which is why they came out with the V2.

The v2 have been available for the same time or more and has the separate oring - the same as stock
indeed, exactly why i had to swap mine out. the molded gasket failed and let coolant leak through. took forever to heat up! All is well now though w/ the V2.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
does a 10 degree cooler Tstat really make a difference? if so where would you see this difference?
ive always been confused by this.
Sponsored