Sponsored

Overhead console removal to change out map lights

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
How exactly does it lower in assuming it just pops in some clips? Do I need a interior trim pry tool to get it down? Don’t wana mess up the headliner or break the console pulling on it.
Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
CJ Pony Parts has a good video. I will say that I had to pull on mind harder than I expected and damaged on of the tabs that holds it in place in the process. I was able to repair it fortunately but it's a bit nerve wracking...

Maybe someone else will have a better way....

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I got mine off with no tools and did no damage to it. Just work at it patiently and you should be able to feel where the clips are and where to push and pull to get it to pop off.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
If you do it as suggested in the CJPP video, you will break the tabs. ask me how I know

OP
OP

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol ok so don’t pull where they show, then where lol

Sponsored

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
just take out the plastic window pieces over the lights, as long as your careful that is how I did mine.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Pull firmly but gently. As mentioned above you can feel where the tabs are. I’ve done it in two cars and no issues. It takes 10 seconds.

Seesnax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
I reluctantly did this about a week ago, and did not have any issues, but I agree with others' comments about it being very nerve-wracking. I just wiggled part of my fingertips between the console and the headliner on the driver's side, pulled slightly, pushed my fingers in a bit more, and repeat. It was kinda like closely watching a jack-in-the-box: all of a sudden, it popped loose and scared the crap out of me.

The next five seconds are crucial, because that is the period of time that you quickly look at the console to see if something broke.

A word of advice: make sure the car/ambient temperature is as warm as possible, so that the plastic tabs are a bit more malleable (less brittle) and (hopefully) less likely to break. I would not want to try this when the car is 20 degrees. If still cold where you are, maybe drive the car for a bit, crank up the heater, and try to remove the console as soon as you park it.

Just my $0.02.

hson10

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
just take out the plastic window pieces over the lights, as long as your careful that is how I did mine.
Just pulled the full overhead console off on mine too to replace the map lights. I suggest doing this instead, because I didn't break any clips on mine, but the overhead console doesn't sit as nice and tight as it used to (there's some play to it now).

No rattles yet, but I suspect in the future I'll probably replace the clips or something if rattles develop!

OP
OP

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine came down no issue no breakage .

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
When I did my LED bulb change it did take a fair bit of force to get the housing to let go. In my case the clips are metal so nothing to break and due to this allowed me to manipulate the clips with pliers to make them hold a bit less firmly. Had worked very well as it does not fallout at all in 5000+ miles of driving and is a whole bunch easier to remove if ever needed.
Sponsored