Overboost

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Purchased SCT Steeda x4.... I'm going into a limp mode and getting a code for overboost. Mostly triggers from a hard acceleration from 1st & 2nd or if I'm at WOT for a extended period of time. Very disappointed since what I used to getting from VW, Nissan & Mazda aftermarket tuners.
This is a very common issue with SCT. I'd suggest getting in contact with Steeda and seeing what they can do. None of us with the Cobb AP have this problem, so apparently, there's something being overlooked (like Adam said) or the features/tables of the software aren't robust enough to control this. Honestly, unless you're just a huge fanboy of SCT, I'd suggest getting rid of it and getting an AP. The best tuners on our platform use Cobb for a reason. I've used SCT in the past and you couldn't pay me enough money to use their products again.

s550ecostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
This is a very common issue with SCT. I'd suggest getting in contact with Steeda and seeing what they can do. None of us with the Cobb AP have this problem, so apparently, there's something being overlooked (like Adam said) or the features/tables of the software aren't robust enough to control this. Honestly, unless you're just a huge fanboy of SCT, I'd suggest getting rid of it and getting an AP. The best tuners on our platform use Cobb for a reason. I've used SCT in the past and you couldn't pay me enough money to use their products again.

Are the gains really that good with Cobb? I can tell you that JMS plug in was equal in gains. My last tune was in my 2015 GTI, APR's tune was MONSTER .... with just the tune itself it knocked off a full 1.5 seconds and added 10 MPH in the quarter mile , same track same conditions. 0 issues!

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Are the gains really that good with Cobb? I can tell you that JMS plug in was equal in gains. My last tune was in my 2015 GTI, APR's tune was MONSTER .... with just the tune itself it knocked off a full 1.5 seconds and added 10 MPH in the quarter mile , same track same conditions. 0 issues!
JMS = more boost, with no tune to support it.

I hold a few records revolving around the Ecoboost Mustang and I wouldn't use anything else.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
The gains aren't that good just because of the hardware but mostly with the tuner themselves. If you're looking for something of an equivalent to the APR tune in the EBM world, that'd be Adam's tuning. Having owned Audi's in the past, I'm familiar with the level of tuning that you'd be use to with APR, Unitronic, etc. If you want that, the Cobb AP is the way to go. I'm not just biased either. I've used multiple tuning hardware platforms over the years and have had experience with lots of our current EcoBoost tuners. So far, Adam's tune has been the best tune for the EBM that I've experienced.

Sponsored

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
I peak at 23 PSI with my MAP tune and according to your post I peak higher than you and I'm sure not getting any codes, my charge pipes flew off once when I didn't tighten them correctly with the FMIC install but you can hear it and the car sounds weak and then it flew off like last week at the turbo and that sounded like howling monkeys and it was hilarious but other than that it has never happened! Check with your tuner for sure.

dsmisfits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang premium ecoboost performance package
With my car I see a max psi at 26.52 with Cobb v3 with MAP's tune without any cels.

Last edited:

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
With my car I see a max psi at 26.52 with Cobb v3 with MAP's tune without any cels.
That's a lot! I believe my car is doing 22-23 peak with the unleashed tune. I would love to try that much boost buy I would be concerned with the longevity of the motor with that much psi.

s550ecostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
The gains aren't that good just because of the hardware but mostly with the tuner themselves. If you're looking for something of an equivalent to the APR tune in the EBM world, that'd be Adam's tuning. Having owned Audi's in the past, I'm familiar with the level of tuning that you'd be use to with APR, Unitronic, etc. If you want that, the Cobb AP is the way to go. I'm not just biased either. I've used multiple tuning hardware platforms over the years and have had experience with lots of our current EcoBoost tuners. So far, Adam's tune has been the best tune for the EBM that I've experienced.
Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

s550ecostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Spoke with Steeda, they are looking into this for me. Since I've had nothing but positive experiences with them on all my orders I'm going to give them some time to see what's going on with this.

dsmisfits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang premium ecoboost performance package
Spoke with Adam and he didn't seemed to concerned, I thought it was a lot as well. I guess, I should say that this is the number I am seeing on the cobb tuner handle held device. I will run a catalog next time I drive the car.

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Under a considerably load going uphill or something, I've seen mine peak up to 27. There shouldn't be any cause for concern unless it's doing it consistently through datalogs. Even then, it probably wouldn't cause immediate damage, but I'd get it looked at (in that case).

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
He is seeing PEAK psi, not consistent PSI. The turbo is very small in this car, and when it spools it takes a few for the ECU to catch up and try to slow it down to prevent huge boost spikes. Seeing 26psi in heavy load conditions when it spool isn't that big of a deal, this is why stock turbo cars make such big torque numbers.
Sponsored