Sponsored

OSRAM LEDriving DRL + Fog light review.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Here's another solution to the ugly DRL and fog that Ford hindered us with.

Its an alternative to the tri-bar or replacement LED bulb replacements others have gone for.

The items are from Osram, and are called the LEDriving 101 units.

+ Direct replacement complete unit
+ Uses original mounting points
+ Easy(ish) install
+ Look good!
+ Available at your dealer

These can be bought from any Ford dealer via the accessories catalogue - they are (officially) meant for various other models, so you wont find it listed for the Mustang. But they fit straight in to the OE mounting points and connect as easily as any other solution.

Heres the link to the Ford catalogue: Part number 1 875 877

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/focus/2011/styling/lighting-systems#

From my own experience the Ford dealer is the cheapest place to buy them from. £189 in the UK, or €220 in Europe.

The kit consists of one electronics module, two sealed lamp units, and various mounting bits n bobs.

From looking at the instructions and what comes included, id say this is probably an easy enough thing to do as a DIY install. However, I chose to let Ford do it for me.... reasoning: I bought the lights from them, and if I let them install them, any issues = their problem and its all guaranteed work.

In the end this was a VERY wise decision, as the first set I had installed 2 weeks ago had a fault. Today (under guarantee) the lights and the module have been replaced under guarantee and the extra labour (2 1/2 hours!) was all for free.

I paid €440 in total. Here in NL main dealer labour rates are €110 per hour. :crazy: But thats paid itself back. The original units had an internal wiring fault, hence the issue.

Now, the lights themselves.

They look great IMO
They are very, very bright!
If installed at Ford there are zero warranty issues.
Absolute minimal loom modification

Although I would ultimately prefer the tri-bar DRLs, theres no way im taking light units to pieces and doing major loom modification to a brand new car. I know others are much more comfortable doing this, but for now I wanted a non-invasive solution.

The physical installation of the light units themselves is <20mins work. Access via the wheel arch is good enough and the front bumper can stay in place.

If you install them yourself (at ÂŁ190) its similar in price to importing a set of OE US spec LED fog units, but that would still leave you with the DRL issue.

I also had them installed (slight wiring mod, to provide constant 12v) so that they remain illuminated even when the indicators are in use. They can also be installed in original way, so that the DRLs are extinguished when the indicators are in use.

Im very, very happy with these. Recommended :)

DRL

Fog light

(unlit) unit, looks totally OE:

Box

Sponsored

Dan_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550 & 1972 Mach 1
Brilliant info... that looks really good...much better than standard.... thanks for sharing....

Certainly saves on buying h8 led fog lights... :-D

car_ter2903

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 2.3 Ecoboost
Thanks for the tip, these look amazing! Only question is, are these stocked in the UK...?? Looking on the catalogue, can't seem to find these!! (Could be a mobile browser thing though)

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
I just ordered led's for €40. Not seeing the benefits. They do look a bit different but that's a fair bit of cash for drl's that I still wish didn't exist. Thanks for sharing though.

Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
I just ordered led's for €40. Not seeing the benefits. They do look a bit different but that's a fair bit of cash for drl's that I still wish didn't exist. Thanks for sharing though.
Sounds pretty cheap. Where did you get them from and are they decent quality?

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
In for output pictures..

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Sounds pretty cheap. Where did you get them from and are they decent quality?
Check out Mustang Manders led thread. It has a link to the supplier. Haven't got them yet mate so can't comment on quality but they have been tried by others. I'm hoping they are fine.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
OSRAM is top notch stuff. They're regarded as one of the best HID manufacturers around.

Your OEM HID's are OSRAM, as well.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Am I missing something here? What do these offer over just replacing the standard bulbs with some proper LED ones? :shrug:
What (ultimately) do any of the mods we do offer over original.... they are what they are, an alternative to the factory DRLs :D

Styling is subjective, so you will either like them or you wont I suppose.

These are e-marked/SAE approved, which will make a difference in certain EU markets - and they are from a known/top quality manufacturer and produce a lot of light and in a much more focused beam than a simple LED replacement bulb (if that kind of stuff bothers you!)

I dont like LED replacement bulbs (in general) so these seemed like a decent alternative to opening up the headlamps to fit tri-bars.

Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Am I missing something here? What do these offer over just replacing the standard bulbs with some proper LED ones? :shrug:
PNP LED bulbs in a halogen housing offer little to no usable light output. Reverse firing (seen here) or projected LED lights offer a good improvement in usable light of the stock units.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I bought LED bulbs to replace the stock DRLs, I went to fit them today but how do you release the electric connector to get the holder out? I tried turning the holder ACW with wire still connected but that did not work either?

Tim

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I bought LED bulbs to replace the stock DRLs, I went to fit them today but how do you release the electric connector to get the holder out? I tried turning the holder ACW with wire still connected but that did not work either?

Tim
Tim, separate thread, but I'm not that much of a pedant ;)! What bulbs did you buy? To remove you need to turn the DRL and then pull out, the bulb you need is the lowest bulb angled about 35-45 degrees into the plastic holder. Reinstallation is the reverse, there bulb is held in by a connector, you can't remove the bulb, you have to buy a bulb with the bulb connector (Not the connector from the loom to the bulbs connector).

If possible, can you send us a pic of what bulb you're removing, and what bulb you're attempting to put in?

By the way, when turning ACW/CW it doesn't really matter, the connector has 3 ridges on it. Imagine a 3 with a triangle in it, with 3 gaps, you have to move it to align the gaps and pull out, so consider twisting slowly whilst pulling every few degrees you twist

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
The handbook page 166 says to disconnect the electrical connector & turn holder ACW to remove. I bought the P13W from ProLEDlights.nl mentioned on this forum. I see the new bulbs have 3 prongs on their holder but how to get the electrical connector off to extract the holder?

Tim

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
The handbook page 166 says to disconnect the electrical connector & turn holder ACW to remove. I bought the P13W from ProLEDlights.nl mentioned on this forum. I see the new bulbs have 3 prongs on their holder but how to get the electrical connector off to extract the holder?

Tim
I think there's a locking tab you need to release before turning the bulb holder. I found the DRLs a piece of p*ss. The sidelights on the other hand are a whole other kind of devilry...
Sponsored