Sponsored

Ordered a 2017 GT, walked away once delivered...

2011mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang 2016 mustang eco premium
I'm a little anal about mileage.

I don't want anyone driving my "new" car. I don't want test ride drivers beating my car, I don't want employees transporting it from another dealer droning at one speed on the highway either.

I want as close to zero miles as I can get on a new car.
I wish they had factory pick up programs like my buddy did with his corvette.

Break in miles on that sweet (virgin) motor is what I want to do!
That is really not in the dealer's control though and its doubtful that they'd take money off for 17 miles. Your new car is going to be driven before you get it. Its just the nature of the beast. I live near a couple of ford plants and you always see new vehicles driving around in convoys as they are being moved around for transport.
Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine was a dealer transfer and came with maybe 220 miles on it...It came from somewhere in Indiana or Illinois if I remember right. I was fine with that. I did tell them NOT to wash it...just pull the plastics and such off and I would handle the detailing...After a year of owning I have maybe put 600 miles on it..so 820ish miles total. And I DO drive it....Not to work....but out and about to cruise ins, events, etc. maybe twice a week. My daily Driver Tacoma handles the brunt of my driving...

gjpundsack

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thewaltermittygarage.com
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0; AT; 355's

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
A damaged new car....that would suck. But the miles are nothing. Mine was transfered from OR to Seattle so it had 350 miles on it. I didnt care, I got $7k off MSRP. As far as waiting for the 18 refresh model. Thats a long time and there will always be new cars every year. Just look for a killer deal and go for it!!

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
While I didn't order my 14 GT, the paint on the rear bumper got damaged when they took it to the back for cleanup while I was completing the paperwork. I discovered it while transferring stuff from the trunk of my trade-in to the Mustang.

I was pissed and the dealer was going to let me out of the deal but I decided to keep it and have their body shop repaint the rear bumper and now almost 3 1/2 years later, you cannot tell the paint was ever damaged.

Now if they had actually caused body damage, the deal would have been off. My car also had 23 miles on it before I test drove it.

You probably did the right thing by walking away because while you might not be able to see the damage anymore after the repair, you would always know it had been damaged.

Sponsored

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would've walked because of the damage. 17 miles is nothing. Just wait and order an 18.

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I really applaud you for walking away. I think more often then not we (or atleast me) settle for less that what we want. Sometimes we have no choice but sometimes we do. I totally understand your disappointment in this situation but I think you did the right thing.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
I'd wait it out and order the MY18 refresh.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
You did the right thing walking away. Just be patient and wait for the refresh, I don't think you'll be disappointed(I may trade in my 15' for an 18').

My car had 76 miles on it at delivery, it's common as cars can be driven at the factory and such. Damage in the factory occurs as well and you'll probably never know about it, doesn't make it a used car as 1 person stated.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I guess my question here is... what would YOU do if you were in my shoes?

Long story short, ordered my very first Mustang in September-- a 2017 Shadow Black GT PP with red interior. It arrived to the local dealership the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Wife and I headed to dealership to take delivery that same evening but, to my dismay, there was some slight body damage to the driver-side rear quarter panel that must have happened in transit from plant. Also, it had 17 miles on it off the truck...which wasn't a deal-breaker but I didn't like that it had that many miles on it. Dealer wanted to have it for 2 weeks to "work it", sand it and paint it. I said absolutely not, got my initial deposit back and walked away.

I was devasted and still am. I mean, 2 months was just the amount of time I waited on it from order to delivery. Not to mention the 4-6 previous months of convincing my wife for me to get one, and the many years before that that I had always wanted one and knew the day would come where I would order one. So, yeah, not gonna lie--it hits me below the belt.

I now find myself looking at local "lot-sitting" inventory (not that there's anything wrong with buying off the lot; it's just not how I buy cars) and wanting to settle for a GT that might not have all the options as the one I had built mine out from factory and, ultimately, might regret. For me, it's that rare red interior that no dealer has.

The other caveat to all of this is that we are on the cusp of Ford releasing pics and more details of the 2018MY Mustang at (hopefully) the Detroit Autoshow, the first few weeks of January 2017. I've done my homework and lurked enough on these forums to know that the 2018MY refresh sounds amazing and worth waiting for. But, I'm also hearing that Ford still has plenty more 2017s to sell and 2018MY won't be available until Fall 2017. Ugh.

I have the patience (I suppose) to wait another year until the 2018MY is released but I think I'm hesitant to wait that long due to the fact that I was so close to taking delivery of the 2017 I ordered.

So, after all that., my question to you is: "What would YOU do if you were in my shoes?"
what was the size of the damage? in my mind, you did the right thing. I would look for something on the lot or dealer trade. maybe something that you can spend a weekend with.
Sponsored