Sponsored

Ordered a 2017 GT, walked away once delivered...

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
I guess my question here is... what would YOU do if you were in my shoes?

Long story short, ordered my very first Mustang in September-- a 2017 Shadow Black GT PP with red interior. It arrived to the local dealership the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Wife and I headed to dealership to take delivery that same evening but, to my dismay, there was some slight body damage to the driver-side rear quarter panel that must have happened in transit from plant. Also, it had 17 miles on it off the truck...which wasn't a deal-breaker but I didn't like that it had that many miles on it. Dealer wanted to have it for 2 weeks to "work it", sand it and paint it. I said absolutely not, got my initial deposit back and walked away.

I was devasted and still am. I mean, 2 months was just the amount of time I waited on it from order to delivery. Not to mention the 4-6 previous months of convincing my wife for me to get one, and the many years before that that I had always wanted one and knew the day would come where I would order one. So, yeah, not gonna lie--it hits me below the belt.

I now find myself looking at local "lot-sitting" inventory (not that there's anything wrong with buying off the lot; it's just not how I buy cars) and wanting to settle for a GT that might not have all the options as the one I had built mine out from factory and, ultimately, might regret. For me, it's that rare red interior that no dealer has.

The other caveat to all of this is that we are on the cusp of Ford releasing pics and more details of the 2018MY Mustang at (hopefully) the Detroit Autoshow, the first few weeks of January 2017. I've done my homework and lurked enough on these forums to know that the 2018MY refresh sounds amazing and worth waiting for. But, I'm also hearing that Ford still has plenty more 2017s to sell and 2018MY won't be available until Fall 2017. Ugh.

I have the patience (I suppose) to wait another year until the 2018MY is released but I think I'm hesitant to wait that long due to the fact that I was so close to taking delivery of the 2017 I ordered.

So, after all that., my question to you is: "What would YOU do if you were in my shoes?"
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I guess my question here is... what would YOU do if you were in my shoes?

Long story short, ordered my very first Mustang in September-- a 2017 Shadow Black GT PP with red interior. It arrived to the local dealership the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Wife and I headed to dealership to take delivery that same evening but, to my dismay, there was some slight body damage to the driver-side rear quarter panel that must have happened in transit from plant. Also, it had 17 miles on it off the truck...which wasn't a deal-breaker but I didn't like that it had that many miles on it. Dealer wanted to have it for 2 weeks to "work it", sand it and paint it. I said absolutely not, got my initial deposit back and walked away.

I was devasted and still am. I mean, 2 months was just the amount of time I waited on it from order to delivery. Not to mention the 4-6 previous months of convincing my wife for me to get one, and the many years before that that I had always wanted one and knew the day would come where I would order one. So, yeah, not gonna lie--it hits me below the belt.

I now find myself looking at local "lot-sitting" inventory (not that there's anything wrong with buying off the lot; it's just not how I buy cars) and wanting to settle for a GT that might not have all the options as the one I had built mine out from factory and, ultimately, might regret. For me, it's that rare red interior that no dealer has.

The other caveat to all of this is that we are on the cusp of Ford releasing pics and more details of the 2018MY Mustang at (hopefully) the Detroit Autoshow, the first few weeks of January 2017. I've done my homework and lurked enough on these forums to know that the 2018MY refresh sounds amazing and worth waiting for. But, I'm also hearing that Ford still has plenty more 2017s to sell and 2018MY won't be available until Fall 2017. Ugh.

I have the patience (I suppose) to wait another year until the 2018MY is released but I think I'm hesitant to wait that long due to the fact that I was so close to taking delivery of the 2017 I ordered.

So, after all that., my question to you is: "What would YOU do if you were in my shoes?"
17 miles off the truck is not out of range it may have been test driven by Ford it happens sometimes. I'd be heart broken also if it were damaged if you can't find a 17 on the lot you like wait for the 18's and order what you want. :thumbsup:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
You waited all that time and it wasn't what it should have been plain and simple. Myself I would have walked as well. Something better will pop up for ya.

Tatum337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Can the damage be fixed using a PDR guy, if so, let him repair it and you will never know it.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
My car had 40 miles on it when I picked it up. I wasn't happy with it and to this day I believe someone took it for the night. Nothing else was wrong with it though, so I accepted it cause I knew I wouldn't be able to find THE car that I spec'd out.
Now if it had body damage, for sure I would have walked away. I would say wait until the '18 refresh reveal and if you think it is worth the wait hold off on a '17. If the'18 isn't all that, you should be able to get a great deal on a '17 the middle of next year.

Sponsored

ImSlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
That's a real bummer! :(

I ordered mine with no deposit down and picked it up with 8 miles on it.

Like the others are saying, don't get discouraged about it. Just keep an eye out and maybe you'll find the one you want soon!

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I bought mine off the lot after ordering a 2016. I just happened to find a 2015 on the lot nearby that was exactly as I ordered. Cancelled my order and picked it up instead to save money.

As for the miles my 13 that I ordered came with 52 miles on the odometer and a sheet of paper from Ford (not the dealer) stating it was used for quality control testing. I wouldn't worry about the miles.

What's the build for your car? Maybe someone locally can find the car you are looking for?

Reactions: 113
OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Can the damage be fixed using a PDR guy, if so, let him repair it and you will never know it.
Because it was on the fender line, it couldn't. It was in a difficult location to be worked on.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I bet it gets fixed and sold as new.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would probably have asked for a discount for the miles and the dent. Maybe $500. And then take as is. You may can still do that. They will probably send the car to the body shop and then sell as new.

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Prem, 6spdMT, Shadow Black
You did the right thing. They shouldn't have even shown you that car with damage, and those miles... I wouldn't have accepted it either.

Dealers... such a mixed bag. Some a good, more are shady and untrustworthy.

Go to a different dealer, find a good one. Then have them search and get an available car (they can search and trade to dealers all over), or order. But I would not buy/order from that dealership. Seriously. What happened is not acceptable.

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Prem, 6spdMT, Shadow Black
I would probably have asked for a discount for the miles and the dent. Maybe $500. And then take as is. You may can still do that. They will probably send the car to the body shop and then sell as new.
In some states, a car that arrives with body damage or has to be fixed, cannot be sold as new.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Mileage not biggy, however body damage us unacceptable. U did the right thing. Wait for the 18 and order that.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In some states, a car that arrives with body damage or has to be fixed, cannot be sold as new.
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...dmitted-my-car-damaged-prior-my-purchase.html

Dealer admitted my car was damaged prior to my purchase

So I tell them that GA law says they have to disclose damage of 5% MSRP or paint damage of more the $500. Of course they still have the repair order from the other dealer and it was $2100 .. but only $297 was for paint.
Sponsored