Opinion: 2015 V6 Trade for 2015 Eco Premium

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
You might have to drive a bit to find a used GT but it'll be worth it. All I did was exchange the suitcase resonator for an H pipe and now I hardly use the radio. The sound by itself adds an appeal to that car that's absent in 90% of most cars today. But, it is a bit pricey. Go with what you can afford. Have your local dealer search and maybe they can find you one. You can search sites like cars.com and others too. Food for thought.. I know you want a premium car but you might be able to find a new (base) GT for what you'd get a used premium for. I'd search far and wide for what you want though.
Sponsored

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Considering i bought a base gt for 28k or the price of a eco something. Wait until year end closeout sales.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy

jester1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost - Base, Oxford White, 6MT
Brilliant observation speedfrk! I truly believe in purchasing a vehicle that satisfies your desires, needs and budget. I stopped following the keeping up with the Joneses economic bandwagon after I graduated from high school out of necessity at first. (Needed any extra money to finish college.) Now, I purchase whatever I like regardless of others opinions.

You'll spend an additional 7k plus 7k more for a supercharger on a GT. You can purchase a built 2.3l EcoBoost engine for roughly 5k, add on a bigger turbo and still come in around 6k less than a GT with a supercharger.

https://www.maperformance.com/products/map-built-shortblock-2015-2016-ford-mustang-ecoboost-ebm-23-h

I have to admit having a bias for a boosted vehicle though. I had a Ford Probe GT, Mazdaspeed Protégé (still have for the moment) and the EcoBoost Mustang.

Equal mods is not the same as equal money... a GT is about 7K more than an EB new>new starting point. 1000.00 will get you an intercooler and tune on the EB good for about 50 HP and 70 lb-ft. That leave 6K for suspension, wheels, tires, etc before you even get to the GT's starting price. Where he lives in Denver, the EB is a far more compelling bargain than a GT unless he just has to have one. Where you live in the desert, sea level and really, really hot, the GT could be a better choice depending on budget. A well tuned EB is a very fun car-

Last edited:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
If I could I would trade my EBM for a V6 manual with the 051A package..

The EB motor is not bad at all, but it leaves a lot to be desired.. The sound itself is terrible, from the factory it's dead quiet, all you hear is the loud ass annoying ticking from the DI. Then there's the heat soak issues, sensitivity to gas quality, lack of power in the upper RPM's which is where you would usually expect to feel more power not less.

If you're willing to chance voiding your warranty on an unproven platform, then sure there's plenty of power to be made relatively cheaply.. I'm not willing to take that risk. Also, as far as my understanding goes, every EB engine that has blown so far has been an early build 2015 model.. so you might want to look out for that.

Sponsored

RipShift2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Brilliant observation speedfrk! I truly believe in purchasing a vehicle that satisfies your desires, needs and budget. I stopped following the keeping up with the Joneses economic bandwagon after I graduated from high school out of necessity at first. (Needed any extra money to finish college.) Now, I purchase whatever I like regardless of others opinions.

You'll spend an additional 7k plus 7k more for a supercharger on a GT. You can purchase a built 2.3l EcoBoost engine for roughly 5k, add on a bigger turbo and still come in around 6k less than a GT with a supercharger.

https://www.maperformance.com/products/map-built-shortblock-2015-2016-ford-mustang-ecoboost-ebm-23-h

I have to admit having a bias for a boosted vehicle though. I had a Ford Probe GT, Mazdaspeed Protégé (still have for the moment) and the EcoBoost Mustang.
Maybe spend 5-6k more on a GT Plus 6k more on a supercharger package and have much higher resale value and a ton more power. Not to mention the enhanced "user experience" from the GT. It's not even a debate if you want to argue buying a shortblock+ bigger turbo (install, etc.) for your EB. Facts.

jester1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do respect your opinion. But, I've never purchased a vehicle based on its' resale value. I always purchase a vehicle with the intent to drive it until it is no longer economically feasible to keep operating it. The last time I purchased a vehicle was in 2004.

I've had the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protégé since 2004. Purchased it with 6,000 miles on it. It now has approximately 123,000 miles on it. It has served me well for 12 years now. (It's still on the original clutch and turbo.)

What drew me to the EcoBoost Mustang is the fact that the engine is derived from the Mazdaspeed3. So, it's not a completely unproven platform. You cannot find a boosted car at such an awesome price such as the EcoBoost Mustang. I really like new styling plus the RWD.

I get to keep my overall operating expenses down, better gas mileage and I get to have some fun from time to time while doing it.

By the way, it would still be cheaper to either buy outright or have your short block built and add a bigger turbo. You would either equal the GT or even surpass it depending on your other mods. Plus, the EcoBoost would have a weight advantage however slight.

Maybe spend 5-6k more on a GT Plus 6k more on a supercharger package and have much higher resale value and a ton more power. Not to mention the enhanced "user experience" from the GT. It's not even a debate if you want to argue buying a shortblock+ bigger turbo (install, etc.) for your EB. Facts.

RipShift2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think the ecoboost is a great platform and I'm not going to hate on it. I am only saying for the money you were proposing to build the ecoboost your money in the end (in my opinion) is better spent on the GT. The ecoboost for what it is, is a great deal.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I think the ecoboost is a great platform and I'm not going to hate on it. I am only saying for the money you were proposing to build the ecoboost your money in the end (in my opinion) is better spent on the GT. The ecoboost for what it is, is a great deal.
Right, trying to make an EB a GT will end up costing you pretty close to GT money but if you are a diminishing returns type of person like I am, you spend the 1000.00 on intercooler and tune and call it a day. I can buy a new 2016 EB PP automatic here in ATL for 8K off sticker- which I'm really thinking of doing since I want the automatic and 3:55 diff. 21299.00 plus taxes and fees.
You can't even buy an automatic GT PP so that kills it for me. Not driving a stick around Atlanta, lol.
If I lived in Denver like the OP, I'd want a boosted car. Heck, add a supercharger to the V6 and go kill some Corvettes not to mention GT's.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
If I could I would trade my EBM for a V6 manual with the 051A package..

The EB motor is not bad at all, but it leaves a lot to be desired.. The sound itself is terrible, from the factory it's dead quiet, all you hear is the loud ass annoying ticking from the DI. Then there's the heat soak issues, sensitivity to gas quality, lack of power in the upper RPM's which is where you would usually expect to feel more power not less.

If you're willing to chance voiding your warranty on an unproven platform, then sure there's plenty of power to be made relatively cheaply.. I'm not willing to take that risk. Also, as far as my understanding goes, every EB engine that has blown so far has been an early build 2015 model.. so you might want to look out for that.
Why can't you trade your car for a V6? Dealers up here have 100's of them sitting on the lots with huge discounts...

Sponsored

jester1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You make a fair point. :)

In general, I just wonder about the purpose of knocking someone's vehicle purchasing decision(s). Some folks need very little material wise to be happy & satisfied while some folks need a lot material wise to have the same effect.

I'd be more than happy to get my Mustang to 310 hp at the wheels. Waiting for that Ford Performance tune.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Wow.. at least you guys have a Mustang lol.. I would kill for a GT even a base one. The sound, the feel and the fact that you are driving one of America's iconic American Muscle this shouldn't even be a debate.

I'm young so insurance is high and I can't get approved for a GT to due to my credit. So I can only wish.. I can get a V6 or EB but nah, I know I will will regret it if I settle.

But, if you are driving lots of miles, love turbo cars I can understand getting the EB.. both the V6 and EB are fun cars with good gas mileage but it just isn't raw like the 5.0.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
I have a V6 and I have test driven an EB and tbh I like my V6 better. It may be slower than the Eco but the V6 can sound great with an exhaust and I prefer the smooth linear power of a NA engine. I had a Mazdaspeed3 like 4 years ago and while it was a very fun car to drive I got quickly tired of having to wait for boost.
IMO look for a deal on a slightly used GT (which I plan on doing in the near future). You don’t want to go EB and then realize you shoulda went GT. You’ll be the first person to have all 3 trims of the Mustang lol. Better yet go test drive an Ecoboost and then test drive a GT.
Is it really that slower? The V6 has good top end power and the EB has more midrange power.. but after driving both, the EB isn't noticeably faster (stock wise). After all, aren't they both low 14 sec cars?

But the big advantage of the EB is of course, modding.

jester1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is your answer. It just made more sense to me to get the EB for a daily driver and the modding potential now and in the near future. I prefer the power of it off of the line versus its' actual top speed which I will never discover on purpose. :D

Top end is great for the track or those empty desert roads. But, it's not so great if you don't like paying for tickets and the higher insurance premiums associated with them.

But, to each his own...you have to do what is going to make you happy.

My golden rule is to not have a car payment that almost matches or surpasses my rent or mortgage. It's based on the reality that most of us do not have the financial means to pay cash for a car. Then, you have to factor in the cost of gas, insurance, registration plus basic maintenance.

Is it really that slower? The V6 has good top end power and the EB has more midrange power.. but after driving both, the EB isn't noticeably faster (stock wise). After all, aren't they both low 14 sec cars?

But the big advantage of the EB is of course, modding.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Why can't you trade your car for a V6? Dealers up here have 100's of them sitting on the lots with huge discounts...
I don't see any 051A V6's anywhere.. I think 2016 was the last MY for those options and even then doesn't seem like many of those were produced, all I see is base V6's with 17'' wheels, no fog lights and 3.31 gears.

In addition to that, I'm not eager to jump into another loan right now.. I put a hefty down so I've been in the green since day 1 but trading in now would mean losing the majority of my down, I rather keep it another year and recoup at least half on trade in value. I'm also hoping in another year my insurance premium will finally start to go down, that is honestly the only reason I have an EB instead of a GT... :(
Sponsored