Sponsored

On the hunt for a GT...

Liam O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang GT Shadow Edition
Another thing to consider is the 2017 cars do have the upgraded sync 3 infotainment over the sync 2 on the 2015-2016 cars which is good, however I would probably look at a 2018+ facelift car. I wish i could have stretched to it as i think the changes they made (recaros, mag ride, active exhaust) warrant the price difference. But then again I had my heart set on Grabber Blue and they only made them in that colour from late 2016/2017 :crackup:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Recaro’s and MagneRide aren’t standard though and bump the cost up 3k+

Not sure how much they add onto 2nd hand values though ? I had not really considered that :like:

Both are nice options to have though :sunglasses:

WD :like:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Doing my very best to avoid looking at the face lift ones just now and definitely not driving one. My willpower is weak and I know if I drive a new one with all the latest toys... I'll want one.

A Mach 1 would be epic too, so need to stop looking at them as well!

A 2017/2018 GT is cost neutral so I figure I can swap and try one for a bit without needing to take any finance etc. Easy enough to upgrade to a Mach 1 later too.
Have you test driven even a pre-facelift? Reason I ask is a a guy some months ago was looking at the GT having owned an F80 M3, he found the GT very uninspiring and aborted his purchase.

Personally i can see why the above happened as you need to be a Mustang fan as well, the V8 and the looks whilst great doesn't IMO make up for the compromises UNLESS you're willing to accept them and enjoy/embrace the entire Mustang GT experience. For me the M2 is without doubt a less compromised car, yes the M2 has its faults too BUT they are far smaller. Overall as a sports car the M2 is the clear winner of the two, and I am pretty sure 99.9% of reviews i've read agree with me. The GT doesn't provide the same kind of driving exhilaration the M2 did, the GT provides a different kind of enjoyment though.
Am i glad i sold my M2 for the Mustang GT, yes I am but there is no way I would have sold it for a pre-facelift GT, absolutely no way. Again that's my personal choice but baring in mind you're also an ex-m2 owner I think it may be relevant.

I am not criticising the GT, I am being honest about how I feel about it. Some owners believe the GT is the greatest overall package which is great for them as ultimately their own opinion is all that matters but it doesn't make it the popular opinion of car journalists

You may well know all this but all I am saying is don't jump into a GT based on the V8 alone.

Last edited:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The Recaro’s and MagneRide aren’t standard though and bump the cost up 3k+

Not sure how much they add onto 2nd hand values though ? I had not really considered that :like:

Both are nice options to have though :sunglasses:

WD :like:
Maybe a little more but more importantly they can may make it more desirable and easier to sell privately, however if you are a PCP hand back person selling private is irrelevant and the GFV doesn't generally reflect the expense of those two options, you just end up paying more a month.

I have neither :headbang::headbang:

OP
OP

Chumba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Shadow Edition
Yeah. All things being equal I'd like Magnaride (but not recaros if it means losing heated seats) and I like the digital dash and tweaks to the interior quality. I know I'd probably prefer the facelift in many ways.

But a GT = £0 cost for me whereas a facelift one would mean monthly payments. That's a huge plus point to it. Not saying never to more finance one day, but trying to be vaguely sensible just now and stick to something around 3 years old which has already taken the biggest depreciation hit that it's likely to.

Quite enjoying the concept of owning my cars just now, rather than having them on pcp's etc. 2/3 of the 'fleet' are now totally paid for.

I've actually got a Lotus in the garage to satisfy the pure driver urges and track fun. GT is really something for me to do a few K miles a year in, mainly at weekends and want something interesting to do that in. I know the M2 is a 'better' drivers car, but for burbling through the town, I think the GT is the better car for that.

Interesting about sync2 vs 3. Thought they were all sync3. The research continues.

Appreciating all the info and thoughts fo far though. Thanks folks!

Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thankfully sync3 has carplay and android auto. Not sure sync 2 does? Again coming from BMW idrive, ford sync 3 isnt the best although the b&o system is pretty good better than the m2 h&k. Not sure how the b&o in later GTs compares to the shaker system though

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
I understand that to some extent tax is something we all hate yet have to pay. I have a 2016 GT and have been paying £550 odd a year since I got it new, It does annoy me a bit to think the car will be 5 years old in march 2021 and its currently only got 21,500 on the clock. Would be better IMO to tax petrol rather than have 20 different types of road tax.

Also having 4 vehicles, the GT a Merc GLE 350 (£150 per year but the extra £345 until its 5 years old) a 1000cc Fiesta ST @ £150 per year and a 1600cc Fiat van at £260 a year - I can only drive one at a time and am paying 4 annual road tax costs !!!!!

Buy a GT and if you can get one in the £150 a year bracket then well done - for me although the road tax I pay is over £1,000 a year I would not bother changing them !!!!