Sponsored

Oil temps while on the track

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I went to MSR Houston last weekend for a track day and 15-20min into each session the oil temps (per the gauge in the cluster) were just shy of the yellow hash mark.

With ambient temps in the high 70s to low 80s I never thought the oil temps would rise so quickly. In my other turbo charged car oil temps barely rose above "normal" operating temp.

Is the oil cooling an issue on these cars?
Sponsored

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
A couple highway pulls on the highway and i noticed my oil temp gauge move up.Nowhere near the yellow but i would think it wouldn't move at all after a couple hard pulls. I can only image driving it hard for 15 to 20 min straight. I have basic bolt ons and a tune

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
In my other turbo charged car oil temps barely rose above "normal" operating temp.
Without actually using hard #s, you can't compare gauges in 2 different cars. Just above normal in your other car could be completely different actual temps vs. the Mustang being just shy of the yellow hash marks.

To me your results sound perfectly normal, on a relatively hot day going 20 minutes and only getting to near the yellow is just fine...especially considering the car doesn't really have an oil cooler, it barely fits the definition of that.

OP
OP

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Without actually using hard #s, you can't compare gauges in 2 different cars. Just above normal in your other car could be completely different actual temps vs. the Mustang being just shy of the yellow hash marks.

To me your results sound perfectly normal, on a relatively hot day going 20 minutes and only getting to near the yellow is just fine...especially considering the car doesn't really have an oil cooler, it barely fits the definition of that.
I understand its an apples to oranges comparison. I was simply stating that in my personal experience on track high oil temps have not been a concern.

I'll read more into the oil cooler, and possible upgrades. Thanks for your reply!:cheers:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Here's some info that helps tie the color zones on the the oil temperature gauge to actual numbers.

Low = white zone
Normal = green zone
Warm = yellow zone
Hot = red zone

Center of the green (normal) zone is 210 deg F.
Start of the yellow zone is 280 deg F.
S550 Oil Temp Gauge Ranges & Temperatures.jpg