Oil Pressure Fluctuation after sitting

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
I have about 4,400 miles on the car, it has been in the garage, I had not driven or even started my Mustang for about 2-months. I started it up and let it idle for about 5-minutes then brought it up to about 3,000 RPM. The oil pressure went from about 20 PSI, then to 60 PSI and then right up to 100 PSI. I let off and it dropped back to 20 PSI. I increased to 3,000 RPM and it did the same thing again. Very erratic in the pressure changes shown, Not the typical just do to cold oil. I have not even seen these pressure when at redline.

Has anyone encountered this, just seems odd to me?

Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think if you are based on the gauge, the algorithm might be misleading you what's really happening.
They usually put a damper on the gauge so people don't freak out when pressure gauge is moving up and down rapidly.
As long as your oil pressure light is not on, you are fine.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
They do dampen it, and the 2018+ has (I forget the exact name) but a type of oil pump that varies more with RPM than one normally would. I believe it's for mileage.

Mine does the same and it's normal.

OP
OP
Cobraracer79

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
Thanks for the responses. I thought it was more of a computer issue, never saw an actual gauge respond like that before.
Sponsored