Sponsored

Oil consumption got worse. Not sure what to do. Should I sell the car?

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I domt have a good feeling about this:( I will drive 200 miles tomorrow and report back.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
- Anyways, upon starting the car and driving, the first 4-5 miles I kept seeing a lot of smoke coming the back of the car every time I got on gas over 2500-3000 rpm. I could see the smoke from the rear view mirror, coming from both sides of the exhaust. The smoke went away in 10 minutes or so and never came back.
Could be without the catch-can lots of oil residue was going into the intake manifold and getting burned. Make sure you revert the PCV system completely back to stock to be safe and get an idea how the oil level behaves with the stock system.

Unfortunately, I don't think your excessive oil consumption has anything to do with the catch-can.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Could be without the catch-can lots of oil residue was going into the intake manifold and getting burned. Make sure you revert the PCV system completely back to stock to be safe and get an idea how the oil level behaves with the stock system.

Unfortunately, I don't think your excessive oil consumption has anything to do with the catch-can.
So for 11000 miles car consumes 1/2 qt per 500 miles and when I install the catch can it goes up 5 fold and this is just coincidence?

OR somehow my 2500 mile trip where I drove the car very gently and babied it to the point I averaged 22 mpg somehow caused this. Because this oil consumption issue started at 11000 mile suddenly after that road trip which is also when I installed the catch can.

Regardless, in 15 years of owning various high end sports cars, this is by far the most fragile car I have ever owned. Call me lucky but I have never had a single issue with any of my cars besides the ciggarate loghter charge port here or USB port there being broken. Not a single drive terrain component broke on me, and that includes even something as simple as bad coils or O2 sensors.

I am genuienly disappointed with this car, whatever the issue I ll find a way to get out of the car and move on to something else unless it turns out to be a very simple fix.

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
So for 11000 miles car consumes 1/2 qt per 500 miles and when I install the catch can it goes up 5 fold and this is just coincidence?

OR somehow my 2500 mile trip where I drove the car very gently and babied it to the point I averaged 22 mpg somehow caused this. Because this oil consumption issue started at 11000 mile suddenly after that road trip which is also when I installed the catch can.

Regardless, in 15 years of owning various high end sports cars, this is by far the most fragile car I have ever owned. Call me lucky but I have never had a single issue with any of my cars besides the ciggarate loghter charge port here or USB port there being broken. Not a single drive terrain component broke on me, and that includes even something as simple as bad coils or O2 sensors.

I am genuienly disappointed with this car, whatever the issue I ll find a way to get out of the car and move on to something else unless it turns out to be a very simple fix.
Unfortunately it depends on your definition of easy. Maybe the catch can removal will fix it, but like others I doubt it. Oil usage is going to be a Voodoo trademark for a lot of them and you really will likely only have two choices (if you want to keep the car). Either keep adding oil or bring it to the dealer and most likely they will eventually swap the engine.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I believe if you saw excessive smoke out of your car, and you notice high oil consumption, you should take it to the dealer and have it investigated, engine swapped, etc.

I would not be too worried if it's still covered by warranty. Just get a new engine, break it in properly and start from scratch. Fingers crossed the new one will be better.

that's what I would do,my 2 cents.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So.....

I have been driving for 75 miles now keeping revs high etc etc and guess what, the oil level has not moved an inch. In fact what was in between min/max level last night after adding a quart (checked when engine is warm after 15 min) now has gone UP to the full mark (again checked after 15 min etc).

So what gives? I will drive for another 150 miles today

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Sell it and buy the GT3. Either that or take it to the dealership and let them diagnose it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's either a coincidence, or something is wrong with the catch-can setup. Maybe the check valve is installed backwards which would end up blocking the flow all together which will build up crankcase pressure. Check functionality of the check valve by blowing through the PCV hose to see if it's flowing in the correct direction.

Like I said before, IF catch-cans caused 5 times the oil usage on these engines you would see many more people reporting it. That's not happening.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So.....

I have been driving for 75 miles now keeping revs high etc etc and guess what, the oil level has not moved an inch. In fact what was in between min/max level last night after adding a quart (checked when engine is warm after 15 min) now has gone UP to the full mark (again checked after 15 min etc).

So what gives? I will drive for another 150 miles today
If your oil check procedure was accurate, then the only reason I could think it would increases by 1/2 a quart without adding any oil is because of fuel dilution caused by excessive ring blow-by. Smell the dipstick and see if you can detect a fuel.

Personally, I like to check oil cold as it gives a much more consistent level check.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's either a coincidence, or something is wrong with the catch-can setup. Maybe the check valve is installed backwards which would end up blocking the flow all together which will build up crankcase pressure. Check functionality of the check valve by blowing through the PCV hose to see if it's flowing in the correct direction.

Like I said before, IF catch-cans caused 5 times the oil usage on these engines you would see many more people reporting it. That's not happening.
I doubt its a coincidence. I read something that said the check-valve is for FI. Assuming he has one of those.

In any case, this posting indicates that a bad PCV setup can increase oil consumption. And if it does that, that may foul the piston rings, generating more blow-by, and increase oil consumption even more.

http://motormagic.info/vacuum.htm
Crankcase Vacuum

The proper crankcase vacuum will prevent oil burning and leaks.
prevent pollution, and increase horsepower & MPG

What can go wrong?
1-- wrong size or stuck PCV
2--vacuum leak in hose B
3-- vapor gunk in the intake manifold

What are the results?
1--the engine will burn large amounts of oil
2--the engine will pollute the air
3--loss of horsepower

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think I spoke too soon. Its 1 qt low now (below min mark) after 150 miles of spirited driving. I will check tomorrow morning while cold. The dipstick definitely smells gas though.

Also, just for my own sake, what exactly is the reason for this issue? Can it be some easy fix or is it guaranteed (or most likely) to be engine swap?

At this point I think I m better off trading the car in if it is indeed bad engine - still cant believe what I m writing here its like bad dream

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
not sure why you would consider trading it at this point. Just take it to dealership and let Ford run through their set of engine diagnostics. Then you can report back here with the results and we won't have to speculate forever.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto. I am not sure what you expect from this forum. You received the advice multiple times on how to proceed, or at least how some of us would proceed in your situation.... Just don't get it

Anyway, good luck with it, hope it will turn out good.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just checked the oil again, now its showing normal. I m going crazy here. How is this possible? I checked at applebee's parking lot (20 min after shutting down) while eating dinner. I drove around and came back home 30 min ago, checked now and there is literally 1 qt of difference between then and now. Yes the ground was level before anyone asks.
Sponsored