Sponsored

oil change intervals

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
I have about 2 grand on the odometer now.
Is anyone comfortable with waiting till 7 to 10 thousand for the oil change? Especially the initial first one. I know it is a synthetic blend...But, Wow, that seems like a lot of miles before a change. Or, am I just an old 62 yr. old fart who is used to changing my oil every 3 to 5 grand?
Sponsored

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
I am going to follow manufacture guidelines. My driving style is pretty normal so my maintenance should follow suit in my mind.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Got my first one at 5000k and intend to stick to that schedule. :)
And mine is a DD...I don't use any fancy oil...just what the dealership uses.

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
I.....

I have about 2 grand on the odometer now.
Is anyone comfortable with waiting till 7 to 10 thousand for the oil change? Especially the initial first one. I know it is a synthetic blend...But, Wow, that seems like a lot of miles before a change. Or, am I just an old 62 yr. old fart who is used to changing my oil every 3 to 5 grand?
I would just change the like you have been doing...... Just like im doing every 5 thousand miles....... Just me and I'm older then you...... But this is what I was thought a few years a go...... From my dad, and I wish he was still hear, to talk with on things........... Thanks John :cheers::cheers: Thanks Dad...:thumbsup:

OP
OP

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
Got my first one at 5000k and intend to stick to that schedule. :)
Mine is a DD...I don't use any fancy oil...just what the dealership uses.
I hear ya. my dealer said the standard oil used Is a synthetic blend

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Did my first at 500 miles and used full synthetic. Wanted to get the original oil out with any metal shavings that might be in there. Will do 5K every time after that.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Just rolled over 1500 miles (after owning my GT with PP since early December 2014 (deployments and harsh winters have kept it garaged a lot) and decided to change the oil as well as gearbox fluid (manual MT82 Chinese assembled Getrag) and differential lube due to the car sitting off and on. Ford changed the oil to Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic for the coyote, Motorcraft QDC and XL18 for the Tranny (AMSOIL 5W30 was their optional stuff for warmer climates), and Motorcraft for the rear differential. No unusual particulate, debris, fine metal, or shavings found in any of the three upon inspection but I didn't ask for an oil analysis either. Still, fresh fluids after sitting off and on gives me piece of mind (clutch fluid and brake fluids next order of business along with coolant replace)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My oil life = 65% with 1000 miles on it ... and I'm not really driving it that hard IMO. So looks like a 2500 to 3000 mile oil change in that case.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I would never follow manufacturer intervals. We have a lot of our problems at the bmw dealer i work ati because of the 15k recommended interval. I would never go 10k without the oil being amsoil. All other synthetic oil, 5000, less if the car is beaten hard every day. That said i wouldnt go more then 7500k even with amsoil. 5k tops with amsoil if beaten like it owes you money.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
I'm coming up to 2,500, I think I'll be changing the oil this weekend

Sponsored

jdotjohnson

Threads
Reaction score
Doing every 5k. Makes it easier to keep up with it too 5, 10, 15, etc...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
I would never follow manufacturer intervals. We have a lot of our problems at the bmw dealer i work ati because of the 15k recommended interval. I would never go 10k without the oil being amsoil. All other synthetic oil, 5000, less if the car is beaten hard every day. That said i wouldnt go more then 7500k even with amsoil. 5k tops with amsoil if beaten like it owes you money.
I agree changing at 15k is a little much but I don't think 5k or perhaps up to 7k is unreasonable nowadays. :shrug:
Like prolly many in my age group here, I grew up with the "every 3000 mile" rule but engines have come a long way over the last few decades.:)

jrt6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 White Ford Mustang GT Premium, 6MT
I've always done 5k with all my other cars, and thats the plan for my Mustang. I mostly just daily drive my car and at 2,000 miles i still have like 80-85% oil life left i think. If it goes down to like maybe 40-50% before 5,000 then I will change it.
Sponsored