Sponsored

Oil change before storage or in the spring?

What's your preference for changing the oil?? Before or after storage?

• Total voters

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Common sense dictates that oil should be changed before storage rather than after. Why leave all the acids and other nasty bits to coat the internals :crazy: Of course the negative effects cannot be measured meaningfully.

Lots of newer lawnmowers come with engines that are sealed and you can't change the oil. Ever. But this thread's about our cars, not lawn equipment. Lol

http://archive.jsonline.com/busines...eeds-an-oil-change-b99433283z1-290423731.html

The B&S ppl say the motor should be good for 12 years. :headbonk: WTF, is this where things are heading; just use it for 12 years and then chuck into the metal bin. This winter I finally retired by 1984 Honda snowblower because everything but the motor had finally wore out. Bought a Toro, but NOT wih the Briggs motor. Clean oil before storage. :D
Sponsored

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
In my case, I need to start the car and move it a few times throughout the winter in and out of my garage.
I chose to leave the "used" oil (5k Pennzoil ultra plat 0-20) in the car because I didn't want to mistreat new oil with condensation and brief start-ups to just move the car. No sense wasting 8qts of it for a before and after storage change.
People take it too seriously imo, either way will not hurt anything.

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
In my case, I need to start the car and move it a few times throughout the winter in and out of my garage.
I chose to leave the "used" oil (5k Pennzoil ultra plat 0-20) in the car because I didn't want to mistreat new oil with condensation and brief start-ups to just move the car. No sense wasting 8qts of it for a before and after storage change.
People take it too seriously imo, either way will not hurt anything.

If your gonna move you car, you need to let it warm up to operating temps otherwise your doing way more damage than good. Don't matter if the oil is new or used. If you gonna let it rest for winter live it alone and don't start it at all u less you plan on driving it Tisk tisk
Sponsored