Sponsored

Oil change before storage or in the spring?

What's your preference for changing the oil?? Before or after storage?

• Total voters

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
  • Banned
So as the title says, what is your personal preference and any reasons to why?

I've done it both ways and have found no noticeable difference either way. If weather permits in the fall after my last drive I'll change it, if not it gets done after the first Drive in the spring.
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Mileage, time since last oil change, or based on track days. Never based on time of the year unless changing viscosity due to weather.

OP
OP
Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
  • Banned
Mileage, time since last oil change, or based on track days. Never based on time of the year unless changing viscosity due to weather.
So then if the car is going to be sitting and not driven or started for 6 months this has no effect on whether one should change the oil before or after this 6 month period? I'm of the camp I don't think it matters.....but

I'd like to hear what every one elses perspective is on it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
With my Harley, I always changed the oil and ran it for 10 miles, then put it up for storage. I don't store my Mustang (Georgia...) but if I did, I would change the oil, run it for 10 miles, and then park it. The oil will be fine when you start the car in spring.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Absolutely change the oil before you put it away.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I really don't think it matters, but I did it in the fall because it was time. So I got my oil changed, filled the tank and put in gas stabilizer.

The oil will probably always get changed before storage, just because of mileage on my car at the time..;)

My car now is resting comfortably until spring....:brokenheart:

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But it does matter. You don't want the old oil sitting in the crank cruise during storage.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
But it does matter. You don't want the old oil sitting in the crank cruise during storage.
I assume you mean used oil and not old. A can of oil can be sitting on a shelf for a long time before its used. Its old(er) but still good. Because, for me, the 'new' oil I just put in the car will be 'old be April/May when I start my car again. But its still good....;)

So if the old/used oil is in a car and parked, then how can it affect/hurt anything? :confused:

I will change mine before parking every year just because of mileage....It makes sense to do so. And besides that, I wont have to worry about it come spring time.:thumbsup:

I am not trying to stir up anything, just wondering....:shrug:

OP
OP
Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
  • Banned
It doesn't sit in the crank case. It sits in the oil pan.

Any proof / reasons as to why it's "bad"? Just saying so isn't really a good enough reason. Looking for some hard proof, If any even exists. I'm already of the mindset it doesn't matter but just looking for some reasons why it does from the other side.

Let's hear em!

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't sit in the crank case. It sits in the oil pan.

Any proof / reasons as to why it's "bad"? Just saying so isn't really a good enough reason. Looking for some hard proof, If any even exists. I'm already of the mindset it doesn't matter but just looking for some reasons why it does from the other side.

Let's hear em!
Read your owners manual then. It will tell you to change the oil before storage. Just like any equipment like snow blowers and lawn mowers letting the old/used oil sit is not good for the engine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dr. Norts

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Read your owners manual then. It will tell you to change the oil before storage. Just like any equipment like snow blowers and lawn mowers letting the old/used oil sit is not good for the engine.
The owners manual actually states changing the oil before AND after storage if we're gonna reference that..

Why is it not good for the engine?? What harm is the oil actually doing? Besides you saying "it's not good"

Lots of newer lawnmowers come with engines that are sealed and you can't change the oil. Ever. But this thread's about our cars, not lawn equipment. Lol

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
The oil will contain contminates which can harm the metal and seals in an engine when left to sit and not run every day. Also as it stits the engine can thru condensation get some moisture in the oil which is not good for lubicating properties. This is why they recommend changing it before and After storage.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It doesn't really matter.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
The never ending debate!

If the oil is old, it will be full of nasty stuff. Change it.

I would rather have fresh clean oil sitting in my motor for storage.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
With today's engineering you are not gonna have nasty oil really.
The color of the oil has nothing to do with how dirty it is.
Sponsored