Oil Blow By

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I know this could be in the engine section too, but I need to know from guys who are tracking their car.

I'm filling up my catch can in a 15 min session. I've tried 3 different set ups now, and still cant keep from getting a shit ton of blow by. (I can fill up a solo cup) Last track day I put my stock tubes back on and oil started coming out of the intake filter. I just don't want that much oil going in the motor!

Has anyone ran across this problem or know what could be causing this?

I may switch to a Peterson's catch can, I've seen them on the boss race cars and hope this would solve my problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'd be concerned about why rather than get another catch can. Thats nuts.

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It's done it since day one. I've always had problems with blow by on this car

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I run 30, and no I'm not boosted

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Thats a ton. Something seems to be wrong with the car in general. It shouldn't even be that match after 3-5k.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
agreed, is the car down on power or anything? Compression check? Sounds like maybe a ring seat issue on one or several cylinders. Shouldn't be enough pressure NA to break a ring.

OP
OP
apex15stangPP

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Car runs fine, acts fine. We're not really talking miles I'm talking 15-25 min sessions @ 5500-7500 rpm the whole time

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Maybe as I am not real familiar with road course racing mostly drag racing which is 10-13 seconds at a time. Hopefully everything is alright and a different catch can helps.

BlackMustang690

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
That's a lot of blow by, I just did a track day at Texas world speedway with a total of 14 session 20-25min 7on Saturday and 7on sunday. and i only had about 2-3oz of oil on a JLT catch can. I did check the hose after the catch can and wiped it with a paper towel and there was a small film of oil, so oil is still getting thru. I running mobile 1 syn 5w20. i will be switch to rotella T6 soon as that's what ive ran on my other cars. On my previous car I had a moroso catch can that was larger and that one seem to collect moisture more than oil. I would see about 5-6oz of almost clear liquid with tiny oil layer.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Car runs fine, acts fine. We're not really talking miles I'm talking 15-25 min sessions @ 5500-7500 rpm the whole time
Im aware you're talking minutes. You said it in your first post. I told you whats a normal amount. Showing you how extreme your car is doing this. Something is wrong.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Which sides do you have the catch can on? Pulling high G's on turns can shove a ton of oil into your cam cover. I'm not sure how the oil seperation works in these cam covers, but the oil could get up in there. Honestly if that much oil is coming out of your catch can, I'd be more worried about uncovering your oil pickup tube.

EDIT: I see your sig states you have em on both sides. I'd get a large empty parking lot, pull 1 G on a wide turn, and then check the catch can.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I run 30, and no I'm not boosted
That's one thing I would change for sure, if I had a GT I would run 40 or 50 weight.

Next thing I would do if you have the tools is to do a leak down.

If it comes back good then you may just need a new catch can.

On my old race car I had a 1 gallon catch can. The motor was stout but since I was running e85 a lot of water vapor would collect as well as oil from high G turns.

Maybe if you look at what the boss guys run in the S197 you'll find a solution
Sponsored