Oil and filter change on uk mach 1

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1
Hi guys have any of the uk mach 1 owners done an oil change on there car yet ? reason I was asking I glanced underneath the car yesterday and noticed there was some type of small hatch door in the under tray ? now is that access to the filter or do the uk owner still have to do the route through the wheel arch liner ? or do you take the whole under tray off ?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You'll want to remove the door for access and to make cleanup easier. The rest of the bellypan stays put. You can reach through the inside liner area from the side to turn the filter if you need to.

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
i will be doing this very thing tomorrow so will report back!

Reactions: 12g

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This doesn't get any clearer. You'll need to remove the screw and place the "door" aside. You'll want to place some rags on the tray in perimeter fashion to soak up residual oil dripping. I was able to twist off the filter fairly easily by hand.

Here's a photo of the filter I removed from the Mach.

20210722_151855.jpg

OP
OP

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1
This doesn't get any clearer. You'll need to remove the screw and place the "door" aside. You'll want to place some rags on the tray in perimeter fashion to soak up residual oil dripping. I was able to twist off the filter fairly easily by hand.

20210722_151855.jpg
Thankyou looks like it won't be a pig of a job getting to it :like:

OP
OP

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1

20210722_151855.jpg
When you put the new filter back on did you give the rubber seal a wipe of oil ,or put back dry ?there was thread on here about this not long ago saying ford recommend this it just don't seem right to me🤔

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple drops from my finger to around the circumference of the seal and on it went.

The oil reduces friction and thus a given filter may compress the seal more at the same torque figure than a dry one. You may find it slightly more difficult to remove, or not, next time you go to remove it. Not an issue for me now or in the 40 years I've been doing this.

OP
OP

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1
Couple drops from my finger to around the circumference of the seal and on it went.

The oil reduces friction and thus a given filter may compress the seal more at the same torque figure than a dry one. You may find it slightly more difficult to remove, or not, next time you go to remove it. Not an issue for me now or in the 40 years I've been doing this.
Excellent that's exactly what I wanted to hear and I'm the same been years doing this just needed some advice on the Mach Thankyou :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1
Indeed i will - but didn't do get round to doing the change at the weekend! For the record, i will, as always, put a thin smear of oil on the filter o-ring
dry o-ring just doesn't with me at all seems nuts.

OP
OP

Stryker Macv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stryker
Vehicle(s)
bmw M2 soon mach 1
Well oil change done yesterday all went well used a jack either side and put stands under chassis rails plenty of room to get to sump.I was careful clicking sump plug open and other than a few drips to wipe up was very easy.Now obviously I've found out under the small hatch door there is no bloody oil filter to get to😆 so put wheel on full lock and with an extension bar and oil filter socket it came off easy, putting back on took a little while to get the bastard threaded on but got there eventually just needs the knack anyway I didn't torque it with wrench just bit oil on o ring and screwed it down tight so far no leaks anywhere ,filled it up at 9 and half litres ran it for 10 mins let it settle for 15 topped it up to in-between min and max and drove home.Checked this Morning needed a little bit to bring it up to between min and max but all good.

kindy15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 JFG
Well oil change done yesterday all went well used a jack either side and put stands under chassis rails plenty of room to get to sump.I was careful clicking sump plug open and other than a few drips to wipe up was very easy.Now obviously I've found out under the small hatch door there is no bloody oil filter to get to😆 so put wheel on full lock and with an extension bar and oil filter socket it came off easy, putting back on took a little while to get the bastard threaded on but got there eventually just needs the knack anyway I didn't torque it with wrench just bit oil on o ring and screwed it down tight so far no leaks anywhere ,filled it up at 9 and half litres ran it for 10 mins let it settle for 15 topped it up to in-between min and max and drove home.Checked this Morning needed a little bit to bring it up to between min and max but all good.
Could you confirm the oil brand and type you used please.