Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know it's rich coming from me, but I do hope all these nannies come as options on UK cars.

I don't particularly like the thought of them telling me what to do (or even worse, acting on my behalf) and so don't want to be forced to pay the extra for them.
They most likely will be included on the 2018 but I'm sure they can be switched off through the on board menu if you don't want all the nannies. I know if I had the option I wouldn't have most of these so called safety features.
Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
They most likely will be included on the 2018 but I'm sure they can be switched off through the on board menu if you don't want all the nannies. I know if I had the option I wouldn't have most of these so called safety features.
Well, the rear sensors were optional on the 15-17 here in the UK, while the Euro leak says it's part of the standard pack. Gives me hope these will also be optional this time round

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Here's a pic of the new standard equipment on german models, directly from Fords intern documents (as mentioned in the leaked stuff eu topic). Fahrspur-Assistent means Lane Assist.
Okay yeah that looks convincing enough. Now I wonder why they did not put it on the US version. Or perhaps they do but are just using confusing terminology.

Anyway first thing I'll switch off. I find lane assist systems seriously annoying.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Okay yeah that looks convincing enough. Now I wonder why they did not put it on the US version. Or perhaps they do but are just using confusing terminology.

Anyway first thing I'll switch off. I find lane assist systems seriously annoying.
All of the nannies are what turn a 2 star crash rating to a 3 star with the EU crash tests...hence the reason they will be standard. Dumb, yes.

In the US, the crash ratings are based off of just that...the physical crash tests or structural integrity. Having lane assist and auto braking has no bearing on a how a vehicle will perform in a front or side impact.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic of the new standard equipment on german models, directly from Fords intern documents (as mentioned in the leaked stuff eu topic). Fahrspur-Assistent means Lane Assist.

You can also see it in action here at 2:45
Approx. 38k EUR that was the base price for the GT in Sweden 2015 :D. Now the EB is starting at that price.

Sponsored

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
Agreed. So far the one thing I really do dislike on the 2018 is that engine cover. Its terrible.
I think the 2018 (less the engine cover LOL) will be an amazing car. I've got a 2017 and absolutely love it. There's a lot of complaining about certain aspects of both the 2017 & 2018 models but my findings with the 2017 are that at the end of all the hoopla, Ford did it right. As a side note, even though the engine cover on the 2017 looks pretty good, I actually like it without the engine cover on, as it shows a little more of the beauty of the V8 power plant. I'm guessing the same will apply to the 2018 ... just remove the cover and you'll be fine.:cheers:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They only mention leather trimmed seats. If center console was also leather, don't you think they would state that?
Maybe I am missing it?
They added suede/leather or something to the side of the console because people whined about their leg touching it or something along those lines.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I think Ford mentioned that the Standard GT 2018 get a better suspension, so the base model should be closer to the 2017 PP models.
That was mentioned by Carl Widmann in the car show interview where they went over the car in detail and where he also mentioned the tribar drl's for export markets.
Link please? Nobody has been able to substantiate this. All I've seen that was official from Ford is that all of the cars are getting a "new cross-axis joint" in the rear suspension. That's hardly equivalent to 2017 GT PP suspension.

This Carl Widmann guy might not be the best source even if he did say something like that. I found a video of him stating the car had a dual clutch. (He was clearly conflating a twin disc clutch with a dual clutch.)

Sounds like a marketing guy with a head full of half-remembered jargon to me.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Link please? Nobody has been able to substantiate this. All I've seen that was official from Ford is that all of the cars are getting a "new cross-axis joint" in the rear suspension. That's hardly equivalent to 2017 GT PP suspension.

This Carl Widmann guy might not be the best source even if he did say something like that. I found a video of him stating the car had a dual clutch. (He was clearly conflating a twin disc clutch with a dual clutch.)

Sounds like a marketing guy with a head full of half-remembered jargon to me.
In most of the videos I've seen Carl Widmann is described as the Chief Program Engineer for Mustang. Also in one video he describes the new clutch as twin-disc with dual-mass flywheel. My impression as an engineer is that he is trying to be technically accurate but in ways that won't overwhelm the primarily non technical audience. I haven't been able to find out what the "new cross-axis joint" is but Google searches indicate these are essentially spherical bearings used in places where rubber bushings might be used. The PP already uses them in part of the front suspension as I recall.

EDIT to add: Ford Performance Parts currently offers a spherical bearing for the rear knuckle where the rear toe link connects. This part apparently is a rubber bushing in even the PP version of the current car. In addition the current GT PP uses spherical bearings in the rear toe link and the front suspension's rear control arm. If "cross-axis joints" are the same thing as "spherical bearings my guess is that all versions will get either the GT PP rear toe link or the Ford Performance rear toe link bearing in the rear knuckle.

Also Carl Widmann emphasized in a "carguy 11" video on the Magneride dampers that at least the Magneride versions of the 2018's needed stronger/stiffer knuckles and wheel bearings to deal with the high damping forces available with Magneride. Carl also mentioned that what he called "the steel setup" (i.e. springs and bars) isn't any stiffer with Magneride. I have not found where he or "marketing" claimed that the 18 GT will be as fast as the previous GT PP's but I'm pretty sure I saw/heard it somewhere. The only details I've seen for the "normal" cars is improved shocks. I vaguely remember hearing PP spring rates but didn't pay attention since I don't care. :-)

Last edited:

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I'm being patient and waiting a bit to order.
No need to order now and have a winter delivery to sit in the garage.

Besides, I want the silver wheels, not the black PP wheels.
Hope for a late March-April delivery.
Sponsored