Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Jarstang, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Kevin08

Kevin08 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    18GT
    0   0   0
    #6241 Kevin08, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Black wheels with polished lips is so mid-2000s, bro.

2. ford20

ford20 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
    0   0   0
    As are black wheels

Grimace427 and Strokerswild like this.
  3. stanglife

stanglife Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    1993 Coyote Coupe
    0   0   0
    I'm 44. I have a 350R and I do like the wheels black on the car but might have been ok with a gunmetal or silver.... I've always liked to see the contrast between wheel and tire. Polished/chrome, never been a fan. Usually prefer powdercoated. I also like powdercoated centers with polished lip like 3 piece forgeline...only way I like polished anything.

http://93coupe.com/wheels-are-back/

4. 15Pony

15Pony Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    The S197 Mustang had wheels with machined/polished rims and those were gorgeous. High maintenance though, because the balancing weights were clipped on and it was impossible to get them off without scratching the rim! Thankfully today most wheels have the stick-on weights inside.

5. Mazman

Mazman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    None
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I had these on the Passat, 50/50 polish and black. Rather nice in my opinion.

Had also black winter wheels on the beemer, which I also liked. IMG_9006copy_zps48cd3d5e.jpg IMG_8696copy_zps3143b98f.jpg IMG_8650copy_zpsc8ea9a4e.jpg IMG_9644 copy.jpg

6. nrc

nrc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang EB PP
    0   0   0
    Count me as a fan (56). I liked them long before it was a trend. I loved them from having seen them on various road racing cars from as far back as the '80s. I still like them but I agree that they're getting a bit old.

They still look great against bright solid colors, but if I were going metallic I'd go with a metallic finish wheel.

7. Mazman

Mazman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    None
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    #6247 Mazman, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

One of the better videos yet showing the car :D

The forged wheels do look rather small...

8. Ericc B

Ericc B Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Fastback
    0   0   0
    Wow that's by a mile the stupidest video featuring the 2018 Mustang I have seen yet :doh:

9. DukeGaGa

DukeGaGa Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
    0   0   0
    Ehh... they're not even building a 2018, it's a 2017

10. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Interesting Photoshop found on FB :)

[​IMG]

11. Gibbo205

Gibbo205 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
    0   0   0
    Lose the big GT 350R style wing and change to GT350 track wing.
    Lose the black painted bumper.
    Add a Cerviny Stalker style hood

I think that would then look great.

12. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium. 95GT low 9 sec. drag car!
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Gotta break up that sea of orange with some black stripes.

13. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
    0   0   0
    So, I finally saw the 2018 Mustang GT in Frankfurt. Here's what I think about it:

Bad news first: Sit inside the mustang was not allowed since it was too crowded on saturday. If they would let me in, they had to let in every intersted person...

Orange Fury looks really cool. If you are into a bright car that gets a lot of attention, this is the one for you. I like it more than the previous 2015 orange

The new wheels seems very small. Like 17 or 18 inch. Guess it would look better in black or on other color choises of the car. On OF I don't think they fit

The rearend seems very improved. The quad tips and new diffusor looks really good. But I'm missing a bit of the 3d look of the previous rear lights. The boomerang ones look more flat.

Interior seems nice with the leather center console and digital cockpit from what I could see from a meter away ;)

The frontend looks good, it's not much different to 2015 than it seems on picutres. When you look at at an good angle of the car, the front seems very aggresive. I really like the new headlights with the clear reflector, always though the orange eyeliner look was not good. But the upper grille is a bit too wide imho, when you look directly on the front it's a bit too much for my taste.

But we got tribar DRL and it is crazy bright. Don't look directly into it from the front :D

My big issue with the facelift is the hood. It really removes the whole aggressiveness of the whole frontend. It looks flat and just boring and more like it belong to an Audi A5. Why did they remove the powerdomes? Sorry Ford, but the hood is really the thing that ruins the front.

Another issue is the decision that only the upper grille is painted gloss black. It just looks bad when the lower grille and difussor is still plastic.Same on the rearend, nice glossy rearpanale but the new bigger diffusor is huge piece of plastic. It is really too expensive to color these few parts? Even Chevy is painting grilles and diffusor on their Camaro :frusty:

Alignment seems pretty good on the car. But the 3rd brake light still had the same isse almost every Mustang have with the window sitting too high on the right side. Ford says it's just a preproduction model, but don't expect Ford to fix alignment issues imho..

Overall I think the Facelift still is a nice looking car and who is interested in the new features like active exhaust, digital cockpit, etc will get an awesome car for the money. But honestly I'm pretty disappointed. In the end the Pre-Facelift just looks way better to me, so I will definitely not buy the facelift. The facelift lost a lot of the muscle car look I loved on the Mustang through the new flat hood. So I will look into buying an EU Camaro or Pre-Facelift Mustang next year. :shrug:

Here are a few pics. I posted a bit more here on the german forum IMG_6460.jpg IMG_6459.jpg IMG_6376.jpg IMG_6398.jpg IMG_6380.jpg IMG_6387.jpg IMG_6396.jpg IMG_6402.jpg IMG_6405.jpg IMG_6393.jpg IMG_6399.jpg

14. Gibbo205

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Thank you, I love wheel finish, but yes they look smaller.

Good news on front end, be interesting to see how it looks with the front upper grill in matt black or just plastic like 2015 as there is a bit too much gloss / orange going on at the front.

15. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Great photos, Ace :thumbsup:

16. TomcatDriver

TomcatDriver Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    An embarassingly boring car
    0   0   0
    Too bad. Totally fixable. Either there is an underlying technical problem (jig out of alignment or procedure order needs to change) or it is simply an attention to detail issue. The first is easier to fix, you send some engineers down to study it and come up with a solution. They may find that on the plant floor someone came up with a new better way that is in fact new and worse. The second is a little harder. You have make it clear that it has management attention. You measure it and track it, publicly. You tie bonuses, appraisal ratings to it (from the top down). If management doesn't care, nobody will care.

Sometimes you can solve problem 2 with a technical solution, that is - make it comparatively foolproof by improving your assembly tools, jigs, fasteners or assembly order. But only if you want to.

17. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0

I don't think you get it.... ur missing what the picture is telling you.

18. Gibbo205

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Clearly not! Please explain. ;)

GT500 ?

19. 00

00 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Dacia Logan MCV
    0   0   0
    That looks ace Ace. Now with factory fitted holes in the bonnet. Just what the doctor ordered. Love it.

20. MrWolf

MrWolf Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
    0   0   0
    Hey [MENTION=10422]Ace[/MENTION] after going through your review (good read by the way), apart from a couple of little niggles, it seems your biggest issue and what pretty much puts you off the MY18 is the new hood. Could you not just wait for what the aftermarket comes up with to see if anything takes your fancy (I appreciate you shouldn't need to on a brand new car).

It just seems a shame to turn your back on it for a relatively simple mod (and isn't modding it to make it your own what it's really about?).

I don't mind it myself. Yes, it could be more aggressive, but this us the route I may take if I think it's needed