OEM Euro tail lights on a US car. Lets figure out why this is happening

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
Over the weekend I bought a set of 2018+ Euro OEM tail lights from a private seller. The seller also provided the appropriate wiring adapter to directly plug into US cars. Excited, I tried on the lights when I first installed them only with accessory power on, just to make sure all the features worked right (brake lights, turn signals, hazards, etc). Everything seemed to work better than expected, as turn signals were sequential. To my understanding, Euro spec lights are only supposed to show the amber when turning, so I was thrilled.

It was only a day later after showing my girlfriend that she pointed out that when you start the engine, the lights don't keep working as intended. The funny thing is that they work fine when you turn on accessory power (1 push on the start button). When you start the engine, only the 2 red LEDs on the passenger side keep working. The turn signal, hazards or brake lights on the driver side don't show up at all. What makes it more bizarre, is that the passenger side only has the 2 bars working, the amber doesn't show up at all.

We've tried several things like reconnecting the wiring since it couldn't become loose, unplugging the battery and switching the wiring adapters between the two lights. None of this works. What is ticking me off, is that it doesn't seem like it's a hardware issue since the LEDS on both sides work (selectively) but they are still working.

YouTube video going through the lights with the car off, accessory power and engine on

Any input as to what it could possibly be would be extremely helpful. I will be reaching out to a local shop to get their take on what the problem could be but wanted to see if anyone has had anything similar happen to them. I know oem euro spec lights are rare in the US and people typically opt for the aftermarket ones, but those have their own issues.
Sponsored

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
This might be something Forscan can fix? When I was checking these out a while back I thought I found someone that was able to correct the sequential sequence. Would def research that.

OP
OP
fsvec

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
This might be something Forscan can fix? When I was checking these out a while back I thought I found someone that was able to correct the sequential sequence. Would def research that.
I’ll definitely look into it. I was going to go down the path of Forscan eventually since I plan on doing the digital cluster swap, so now’s as good as later. Thanks!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That's an odd problem. Looks like a hardware issue with the controller in the lights. I wouldn't think Forscan would be able to do anything to address that seeing how the lights function under accessory power just fine. When a car is started, voltage drops can occur and I bet this is messing up the LED controller. Try plugging in the lights after the car has been started and see how they behave.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Who installed the US plug onto the Euro harness? Are you absolutely sure the wires are in the correct location?

Sponsored

OP
OP
fsvec

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
That's an odd problem. Looks like a hardware issue with the controller in the lights. I wouldn't think Forscan would be able to do anything to address that seeing how the lights function under accessory power just fine. When a car is started, voltage drops can occur and I bet this is messing up the LED controller. Try plugging in the lights after the car has been started and see how they behave.
That’s not a bad idea. That way we can rule out if it’s the controller or hardware related

OP
OP
fsvec

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
Who installed the US plug onto the Euro harness? Are you absolutely sure the wires are in the correct location?
The private seller did. Possible done incorrectly, which was my first thought. The harness on both sides are done the same, so if anything the error should be on both sides as well. I’ll be taking this to a local shop who should be able to tell me if it has anything to do with the harness. If that’s the case, should be an easy fix

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Email HD Customs, they have an inexpensive solution to get you up and running

[email protected]

OP
OP
fsvec

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
OP
OP
fsvec

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
Email HD Customs, they have an inexpensive solution to get you up and running

[email protected]
I reached out to them and it'd be $400 + shipping back and forth to Poland. Not entirely sure that's the route I would take considering they could only rewire it so that it's only red and no ambers.

Can confirm that if the engine is started and then the lights are plugged in, they work 100%. So I guess this points to the controller. But I don't think it's actually faulty as both lights behave this way. What are the chances that both controllers are bad? It must be the way they're wired/made.

That being said, I'm taking the lights to a shop this weekend to help me troubleshoot and see if they can do anything to fix this.

As well, the seller was extremely generous to send me an extra SAE-spec pair of lights, which are clear Euros that only have red lights. These are 100% plug n play and work flawlessly in all power options. If you're in Florida, there might be a pair for sale soon...
Sponsored