Sponsored

Odd tire wear

ILStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT Premium, Oxford White
So I have the rear tires off my 2015 get this morning and discovered this ( see pics). Any ideas on the cause? Stock tires, car completely stock, 8300 miles on car, tires rotated at approximately 4000 miles. Only happening on this one tire, the wear is on the inner portion all the way around and came off right rear. Any ideas on cause greatly appreciated.
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
Sponsored

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
It looks like it's hitting something. Those marks look too uniform. But, it could also be a manufacturer defect. Do they clear your wheel wells fine? Nothing jammed up in the top of your wheel well? Proper psi?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
My guess would be defective tire. At 8300 miles my stock tires were about shot anyways. I think I got 11k out of mine. At that point they were getting very loud and no traction at all.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I've just rotated my 2016 GT Pirelli P Zero Nero's at 7,000 miles and noticed un even wear on one tires inner edge if I remember right. Still plenty of tread, terrible traction. I believe the dealer may help you if under 12,000 miles as some report new tires free or pro-rated for cheap replacement.

OP
OP
ILStang

ILStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I will take it to a tire shop I trust and have them do a four wheel alignment on it, have them inspect the suspension components and go from there. Thank you all for your input/advice. I will let you know the outcome when I get it.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Very odd. Do you track your car? If so, have you ever heat cycled your tires? Keep up on PSI?

Do you notice chunks of rubber on the side of your vehicle or in the spokes of your wheels after
a specific event like driving hard/Auto-X/Track event?

I would also stay on top of the alignment thing. Pot holes or road irregularities can really do a
number on your alignment and tire life.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
This dude rockin' a subie had a total delam today at the track. He admitted that he overinflated his tires but probably didn't heat cycle them either.

I believe they're 4 days old.
Screenshot_20170212-230741.jpg

OP
OP
ILStang

ILStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I took the car in for an alignment, it was off just a little but nothing that would cause the tire wear in pics. Next step was a trip to the dealer, they took pics and said they would get back to me. Two days later they called and said they would warranty the two tires. Took it in today to get the new tires mounted, problem resolved. My only concern is they were not defective tires and whatever caused this will rear its head again. Time will tell.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So I took the car in for an alignment, it was off just a little but nothing that would cause the tire wear in pics. Next step was a trip to the dealer, they took pics and said they would get back to me. Two days later they called and said they would warranty the two tires. Took it in today to get the new tires mounted, problem resolved. My only concern is they were not defective tires and whatever caused this will rear its head again. Time will tell.
Just check your tire pressures regularly and make sure you aren't cornering too hard on a low pressure tire and you should be ok. Aside from the chucks those tires didn't look too badly abused, so just make sure to top off the pressure when the ambient temperature drops.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
At least the dealer warrantied them. Just keep an eye on the new ones.
Sponsored